AVS Forum banner

6341 - 6360 of 6368 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'll be comparing the 8500 Denon as a processor only to the Marantz 8805 and giving my impressions in the coming weeks. Since I do not need the amps in the 8500, I want to see if the Marantz is better in the processing department, especially for the $500 price difference. I know the SINAD is better on the Denon 8500 but that's not as important with EQ enabled and real listening. I'll keep whichever one sounds better to my ears for the processing power of my home theater. :)

·
Vendor
28,641 Posts
unfortunately I did not understand what you wrote
I edited my post, I was talking about a power conditioner.
I'll be comparing the 8500 Denon as a processor only to the Marantz 8805 and giving my impressions in the coming weeks. Since I do not need the amps in the 8500, I want to see if the Marantz is better in the processing department, especially for the $500 price difference. I know the SINAD is better on the Denon 8500 but that's not as important with EQ enabled and real listening. I'll keep whichever one sounds better to my ears for the processing power of my home theater. :)
I would guess they would both sound great, going to be a touch choice.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I would guess they would both sound great, going to be a touch choice.
I don't doubt it! My 8805 will be here tomorrow and I'm looking forward to comparing it to the 8500 Denon which is hooked up to my external amp (pre-amp mode only). The Denon sounds great and I remember being impressed with 8805 so it should be an interesting comparison to say the least.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
well I spoke too soon. While I fixed the audio quality issues, the dropouts came back. So I spoke with the Australian distributor of the 8805 and have sent a video showcasing the drop outs. Hopefully Monday they provide me with further advice, although I’m hoping they just tell me to box it up and send it back for a replacement.
hi scott, how did things go ? any joy from qualifi ? be interesting what they have to say re the dolby surrounds bug as well, not sure if asked about that one.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Life with a complex AV processor is never dull. Over the past three days a new problem has presented itself. I have HDMI main outputing to the projector and the secondary HDMI to the small flat screen used for menu and setup matters. For years this has been fine, each monitor worked as expected. This last week the secondary has taken to losing the picture (it just flickers occasionally) and the only cure I have found is disconnecting and reconnecting both HDMI o/ps after which the system returns to normal. But it keeps happening. What is wrong? Handshaking maybe?

Yes I have tried a different second monitor and the same thing happens. It is something in the HDMI area of the AVP.

·
Premium Member
90,340 Posts
Life with a complex AV processor is never dull. Over the past three days a new problem has presented itself. I have HDMI main outputing to the projector and the secondary HDMI to the small flat screen used for menu and setup matters. For years this has been fine, each monitor worked as expected. This last week the secondary has taken to losing the picture (it just flickers occasionally) and the only cure I have found is disconnecting and reconnecting both HDMI o/ps after which the system returns to normal. But it keeps happening. What is wrong? Handshaking maybe?

Yes I have tried a different second monitor and the same thing happens. It is something in the HDMI area of the AVP.
Try disabling HDMI Control if enabled on the AVP.

Otherwise, if necessary, you can set up two different Smart Select buttons with <HDMI Video Output> = Monitor 1 for one and <HDMI Video Output> = Monitor 2 for another.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Try disabling HDMI Control if enabled on the AVP.

Otherwise, if necessary, you can set up two different Smart Select buttons with <HDMI Video Output> = Monitor 1 for one and <HDMI Video Output> = Monitor 2 for another.
Thanks for those suggestions: HDMI control is off and always has been. Smart select is a good idea but it has never been necessary before so the question still stands, what has happened?

·
Registered
15,007 Posts
Thanks for those suggestions: HDMI control is off and always has been. Smart select is a good idea but it has never been necessary before so the question still stands, what has happened?
Are any of the cable ends under any strain? For example, bent at a 90 degree angle? This can eventually lead to intermittent and/or permanent signal failures.

You might consider replacing the cables, regardless; with Ultra High Speed cables, in particular.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Are any of the cable ends under any strain? For example, bent at a 90 degree angle? This can eventually lead to intermittent and/or permanent signal failures.

You might consider replacing the cables, regardless; with Ultra High Speed cables, in particular.
Thanks. I've checked and indeed changed the shorter cables, all of which are quite solid items anyway, I don't use thin cables because of that weakness. Even the second monitor has been changed. It still remains the same. All that said I agree that the cables have to be the chief suspect and further investigation is a good idea.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
Anyone managed to get the HDMI 2.1 8k board upgrade yet, AFAIK it was supposed to come out last month?

Thanks. I've checked and indeed changed the shorter cables, all of which are quite solid items anyway, I don't use thin cables because of that weakness. Even the second monitor has been changed. It still remains the same. All that said I agree that the cables have to be the chief suspect and further investigation is a good idea.
As a Marantz Veteran I never set up one without a 120mm fan on top over where the video board resides. You may be starting to have a failing video board. I may be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
After A/B testing the 8805 to the Denon 8500, I have decided on the Marantz 8805 for my home theater which is mainly movies.

I prefer the warmer sound of the Marantz over the Denon sound signature. I also feel like even though the XLRs aren't fully balanced, there is an advantage to my ears. Bass just sounds cleaner on the Marantz IMO.

They are definitely very similar and it was a difficult decision but since I do not need external amplification, the Marantz is cooler and does not consume as much energy as well compared to preamp mode where the amps still idle on the Denon.

The Marantz with XLR gives more headroom for my dual subs, which is a bonus as well. I do believe the 8805 and 8500 flagship products share some of the same parts including the DACs, which is why it was a difficult decision.

I would say to anyone that you cannot go wrong with either one of these great home theater products. They are reliable, sound great with music and movies, and are on the same level or better than the Anthem AVM60 I previously had and a couple of Dirac processors as well.

I would also take the bench tests regarding SINAD with a grain of salt. Even though the 8500 performed better than the 8805 in this area, I noticed no difference sonically, which is what matters most. I listen around -10 max which is 10 less than reference levels in my room and didn't hear any distortion on either product.

This is just my personal opinion but the 8805 is going to be in my home theater for a long while. The reliability of it really stands out and the sound quality is some of the best I've heard. Audyssey has came a long way. I think Dirac is on par or slightly better (with bass control add on) and ARC slightly worse IMO. All 3 room corrections are great though.

Thanks for listening. I'm going to go watch some movies on my 8805 and return the 8500. I'm finally content.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey so I have a weird setup. I have 2 floor fronts two floor surrounds and a floor center channel. I also have 4 in ceiling speakers I want to use for atmos. I also have 2 front highs mounted on wall and two subs. Having issues getting everything assigned properly and was looking for some advice.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hey so I have a weird setup. I have 2 floor fronts two floor surrounds and a floor center channel. I also have 4 in ceiling speakers I want to use for atmos. I also have 2 front highs mounted on wall and two subs. Having issues getting everything assigned properly and was looking for some advice.
Hi, where are your ceiling speakers mounted? Like front of the room and rear of the room I'm assuming? I'm not sure why you would need the front highs? I would do front ceiling, middle ceiling and rear ceiling personally for atmos. You could move your top front highs to the middle ceiling and angle them down in front of the listening area slightly. Refer to 5.2.6 atmos setup.

·
Registered
5,529 Posts
I would also take the bench tests regarding SINAD with a grain of salt. Even though the 8500 performed better than the 8805 in this area, I noticed no difference sonically, which is what matters most. I listen around -10 max which is 10 less than reference levels in my room and didn't hear any distortion on either product.

This is just my personal opinion but the 8805 is going to be in my home theater for a long while. The reliability of it really stands out and the sound quality is some of the best I've heard. Audyssey has came a long way. I think Dirac is on par or slightly better (with bass control add on) and ARC slightly worse IMO. All 3 room corrections are great though.
talking about ASR... :D AmirM did review audyssey....

Amir has as per that thread experience with the lyndorf room perfect Eq as well

can see his very complementary review below,

"Conclusions
I came into this review expecting Audyssey to not perform. That was my experience and that of formal blind testing of it years back. The out of box results of this "XT32" version was better than I remembered. Still, using the App is mandatory to properly incorporate a target curve with more bass and removal of "BBC dip." Once there, I had no issues with its performance and I think it comes very close to advanced solutions like Dirac and Anthem ARC.

I am happy to recommend Audyssey XT32 with use of Denon/Marantz app to customize it."

I suspect many folk thrown by the bbc dip in midrange by default go check out other Eq systems and go oh wow... without realising the app can remove that...or for matter audyssey pro if using previous to app versions :)

as he says its pretty close to dirac and anthem arc. main benefit over anthem arc would be true dual sub capability that audyssey on Denon and marantz is very capable with.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As a Marantz Veteran I never set up one without a 120mm fan on top over where the video board resides. You may be starting to have a failing video board. I may be wrong though.
I have indeed got an AirCon AC Infinity twin fan unit on top - I'm not falling for the overheating AVP twice :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Searching for a new processor and have been hearing that the 8805 does not have fully balanced outputs. Can anyone shed some light on this?

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Searching for a new processor and have been hearing that the 8805 does not have fully balanced outputs. Can anyone shed some light on this?
If you want truly balanced outputs you would have to get something like the RMC-1 from Emotiva which IMO is plagued with software bugs. Pretty much every processor under $6k is not balanced end to end including the 8805. I would say spending over $4500 on a processor is too much for the benefits of true balanced to balanced XLRs. The 8805 is an exceptional, reliable processor in this price category.

6341 - 6360 of 6368 Posts