AVS Forum banner

6581 - 6600 of 6680 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have the exact issue with the Marantz AV7706 and my Emotiva Amp. In order for Audyssey to properly set your speaker levers you have to purchase XLR attenuators or use RCA I chose to use RCA which works fine. I believe the Parasound has a gain switch Do you have it at 29 or 23 gain I am thinking if there was a way to lower the gain on the Amp XLR might work No option on the Emotiva
Ive got an AV7706 connected to a parasound A52+ and an AV8805 connected to an ATI AT6003, Anthem MCA 525, and Anthem MCA 325 all with XLRs. No issue on any of those with audyssey levels, so it’s definitely either a problem with emotiva or your specific unit. Based on the additional feedback from other responders, I would assume it’s emotiva specific.

·
Registered
16,469 Posts
It's not just the gear. The sensitivity of the speakers, the seated distance, and even to a small degree the room size and its reflectivity can generate this "Help! My readouts are pegged off scale!" problem.

·
Registered
489 Posts
It's not just the gear. The sensitivity of the speakers, the seated distance, and even to a small degree the room size and its reflectivity can generate this "Help! My readouts are pegged off scale!" problem.
Thats what I thought but it seems that Emotiva Amps along with Marantz Pre/Pro along with Audyssy room correction are the majority of complaints Processors with Dirac or Arc you never hear of this

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Agreed. I have a Gen3 Emotiva amp powering 5 satellite speakers of average sensitivity and I have not yet run up against max levels with Audyssey. I had an AV8802A previously and just ran the calibration last night for my AV8805 and levels were about the same as I saw on my AV8802A. I am using XLR all around. It is obvious, however, that the Emotiva amp has more gain than my Rotel amps powering my front speakers as I typically see level settings of 5 to 6 dB lower for my satellites compared to the front speakers.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I enjoyed using the Audyssey Editor app for the first time last night and I think I got very good results. It worked without a hitch but wasn't quite as intuitive as I hoped. I made two sets of curves, one with and one without midrange compensation. I downloaded both to the processor, thinking I would have both available to choose from within the AV8805 menu but I'm guessing that I just wrote over the first download. Is there any way to verify in the AV8805 menu that the calibration has uploaded ? I thought I would see the named calibration somewhere in the menu.
I was also hoping I could use the curve editor to move the midrange compensation to 3000 Hz (closer to the actual crossover for my front speakers) but I was only able to move the bump up or down, not sideways along the frequency axis. It would be nice if Denon/Marantz added an option to change the frequency point for the midrange compensation bump. I believe I am using my "no midrange compensation" calibration and, so far, I don't hear anything that sounds out of place.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Is there any word on whether the HDMI upgrade will still be 1 in / 2 out for HDMI 2.1, or have they expanded that following the 2.1 passthrough issues.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
As featured on the current 2020 models:
1 ----> 8k - 4k/120Hz input
2 ----> 8k - 4k/120Hz main zone outputs

View attachment 3113209
seems a bit strange don't you think that in june 2020 denon and marinate announced their 2020 models with the above... why on earth more than 12 months later would they fit the same arrangement on their flagship and not a more updated hdmi 2.1 chipset ?

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts
seems a bit strange don't you think that in june 2020 denon and marinate announced their 2020 models with the above... why on earth more than 12 months later would they fit the same arrangement on their flagship and not a more updated hdmi 2.1 chipset ?
The plan for the "A" upgrade for the AV8805 and X8500H is to use the same type HDMI board (ie. 1 in/2 out) used with the 2020 models (ie. with the hardware/software (?) fix for the current 4k/120Hz issue applied of course). The X6700H and SR8015 have each been extended to 3 year lifecycles which implies there will be no change to the current HDMI board for at least the next couple of years (ie. until the AV8806 is released).

·
Vendor
29,880 Posts
The plan for the "A" upgrade for the AV8805 and X8500H is to use the same board used with the 2020 models (ie. with the fix for the current 4k/120Hz issue applied of course). The X6700H and SR8015 have each been extended to 3 year lifecycles which implies there will be no change to the current HDMI board for at least the next couple of years (ie. until the AV8806 is released).
Well then,Sound United must feel the HDMI 2.1 issues must be all firmware. One thing is for sure we will know once the upgrade is available or if it gets pushed.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Thoughts on the above:

1) Yes, connect balanced outputs to balanced inputs, RCA's to RCA's. From the PDF version of the manual one page 44, which you can find online:

"This unit has UNBALANCED RCA PRE OUT connector and
BALANCED XLR PRE OUT connector. Connect to the correct
connector for your power amp. If your power amp has both connectors,
connect to either of them."

2) Most XLR to RCA cables short the cold pin (-) to ground. The manual for the AVR8805, on page 44 says:

"NOTE

Do not short the HOT and GND or COLD and GND for use."

Shorting the COLD to ground from the XLR output will short the (-) output from that channel to ground through about 200 ohms, which is a very low resistance for a (any) preamp type output to drive. 10K ohms or more as a load impedance is typical, 600 ohms happens in Pro equipment, but is uncommon. The XLR to RCA connection recommendation will cause excess current, more than all of the current that flows in the remainder of the connections from the AV8805 (50x or more is likely) to flow from that output. This excess current will likely cause that output to overheat with unpredictable results.

It is generally OK to connect an RCA output to an XLR input, but that isn't the question here.
I just bought an 8805 :) I'm using Citation 7.1 and 5.1 amps that only have RCA inputs.

Never mind my previous question: I will continue using my Blue Jeans RCAs.

·
Premium Member
13,352 Posts
Weird problem... my 8805 lost it's wireless network connection and now won't reconnect. I get an error message that my password is incorrect. I am using the same password I connected with before, and the one that works on all the other devices on my network. I've tried it multiple times and always the same result.

Any ideas?

Craig

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Are the Smart Select buttons the only means to load and save more than one EQ on our AV8805? I am using a full range EQ for all speakers without midrange compensation (using Multi EQ app) and I think it is the best Audyssey calibration I have achieved over about 10 years with various Marantz processors but I would like to try some EQ curves with limited EQ frequency range. I read some models have speaker Preset 1 and Preset 2 for running different EQ curves but I'm guessing this on newer AVR's only.

·
Registered
5,766 Posts
Are the Smart Select buttons the only means to load and save more than one EQ on our AV8805? I am using a full range EQ for all speakers without midrange compensation (using Multi EQ app) and I think it is the best Audyssey calibration I have achieved over about 10 years with various Marantz processors but I would like to try some EQ curves with limited EQ frequency range. I read some models have speaker Preset 1 and Preset 2 for running different EQ curves but I'm guessing this on newer AVR's only.
its really easy on the app. phil jones from sound united, shows on youtube how he has two room setups requiring different eq and selecting between

·
Premium Member
726 Posts
Weird problem... my 8805 lost it's wireless network connection and now won't reconnect. I get an error message that my password is incorrect. I am using the same password I connected with before, and the one that works on all the other devices on my network. I've tried it multiple times and always the same result.

Any ideas?

Craig
I don’t recall the exact symptom, but I was able to resolve a wifi issue by unplugging my 8805 for a minute. I don’t have anything more to add as to why it worked, but it did. It’s an easy enough thing to try.

·
Premium Member
13,352 Posts
I don’t recall the exact symptom, but I was able to resolve a wifi issue by unplugging my 8805 for a minute. I don’t have anything more to add as to why it worked, but it did. It’s an easy enough thing to try.
Thanks. I'll try that.

Reactions: Karl Maga

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts
Only one EQ can be saved at a time; however, as suggested, you can use the MultEQ Editor app to save multiple EQs on your phone/tablet and then stream them to the AVP when you want to use them. The new <Speaker Preset 1/2> feature is only available on the 2020 and newer models.

·
Premium Member
91,256 Posts

Any ideas?

Craig
Refer to p. 300 of the Owner's manual "Resetting Network settings."

6581 - 6600 of 6680 Posts