AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both of these units are similarly priced.
Does anyone compared these 2 units in sound quality when playing CD? Of course both of them plugged through analog RCA output. Will it be CD6005 better in SQ, or it is more-less same?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Not only more or less the same but exactly the same. Optical disc players are one of the products in the audio industry that have no distinguishing sonics.

·
Registered
970 Posts
No. Not opinion. Test results. At the time I did the bias controlled comparisons my belief was that DAC's do have a sonic signature.
And now your "belief" is that the DAC's do not have a sonic signature....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They have different DACs:
CD6005 has CS4398 from Cirrus Logic
UD5007 has PCM1781 from Texas Instruments
So they are from different manufacturers.
CD6005 has in analog stage HDAM SA2 amplifier, UD5007 not.

I own 25 years old Marantz CD player and 2 years old Sony BD player. They have very different sound. Marantz is much better. I hoped I should throw away old Marantz. But sound from Sony has more bass, but it is not so nice in detail and stereo basis. So I still use this old unit for playing CDs. If I will replace it, I will prefer better sound quality as more functions.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I went through the same thing with 2 players. Had an old Panasonic. Don't know the model. I purchased a Oppo 103. It has every bell and whistle I could ask for. But Sq on CDs was much fuller with more impact than the oppo. I just could not believe it. Oppo is bright. Its great on the HT, but lacks on CDs .I'm thinking of purchasing a Cambridge 651c on my 2 channel stuff..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I went through the same thing with 2 players. Had an old Panasonic. Don't know the model. I purchased a Oppo 103. It has every bell and whistle I could ask for. But Sq on CDs was much fuller with more impact than the oppo. I just could not believe it. Oppo is bright. Its great on the HT, but lacks on CDs .I'm thinking of purchasing a Cambridge 651c on my 2 channel stuff..
Yes, this is, what I am afraid too. Universal player will be not maybe so good for playing of CDs as special CD player only. And I need player for 99 % playing of CDs. For DVD, BD I can use my "common" Sony, where audio is processed in my Marantz AVR.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
I owned the UD5007 for a time. I thought CDs sounded great. The nice thing about CD players is the simplicity and absence of the slightly slower initializing and loading times compared to universal players. SQ should be excellent on either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I see in your signature you have Marantz CD5004. If you compare this player to UD, did you recognized CD player as better in SQ, or it is same?

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
The CD5004 doesn't sound any better or worse. It's just in another system where I have no need to play blu-rays.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The CD5004 doesn't sound any better or worse. It's just in another system where I have no need to play blu-rays.
OK, Thanks for info.
So it looks I will take UD5007, where is also SACD playback possible. If you say, there is no difference in CD sound quality, it will give me more possibilities.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
Sounds like a good decision given your needs.

·
Premium Member
7,498 Posts
Neither of the players being considered here are made in Japan.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts