AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing a cooling fan on my receiver and realize after installing that rotation and airflow direction are opposite of OEM.

I am concerned about rotation since I don't want to connect the power to the fan only to burn up the board. I can car less about the fan, I just want to be certain that I will not damage the receiver itself. Are there safety devices to protect the circuit boards?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is a killer. I spent all afternoon Carefully taking out the old fan and installing the new one (another spare that has the same rotation and direction) and put it back together.

The fan does not work! I suspect that unless there is a temperature sensor that controls fan operation, the original fan may never have worked. The one I pulled was not seize and the new one felt exactly the same when spun.

At least I have supplemental fans in the back so I guess I will just leave it.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Fix the direction. Don't rely on safety devices.

Basic rule of thumb: In electronics, every 10 degrees C of the actual chips inside the packages half's the life of the device. If your AVR needed a fan, the manufacturer was already very worried about temperatures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts