1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

I am probably not the first one here who is asking that, but I

am still a bit confused.

I am (how most people prefer to say) on a budget but I need to buy a receiver. I really don't want to spend more then $400 for

it. So, having reviewed all which falls into this category I am between Denon AVR-1802 and Marantz SR5200 (Ok Ok - I know

it is more expensive - but on-line it is for 388 + shipping and I hope the price will drop a bit in the following couple weeks ).

But the problem is that having red all those posts/reviews about Marantz SR7200 I am really conserned about getting a lemon. It

looks like the common opinion is leaning to that big persentage of those units is defective. and I believe SR5200 should be in the same boat then ...

Can anybody give more light on this Marantz issue ?

And also what about Denon AVR-1802 ? I tend to like it (even though it is only 5.1 not 6.1). But it seems that Denon is the only

one of the major brand that I heard is simply "burning".

A friend of mine had a AVR-1601 - and it burned.

So - anybody can tell something about Denon quality ?

It is really EXPENSIVE to buy it from a dealer - so it must be reliable ..

I also looked at Onkyo DS595 and DS494 but they have too few outputs I think ..:(

Yamaha RX-V620 also would be my choice - but it doesn't have Pro Logic 2 :(

Kenwoodd and Technics seem to have "bad" THD and their look also doesn't impress.

I do not like Outlaw look and the price is also above my budget.

If anybody can get an advice or share experience on above item - please, do share.

Also, does anybody know if any of those manufacturers accept warranty on items bought from not authorized dealers. I believe not - but still. :confused:

Thank you.

Andrey

·
Registered
10 Posts
Andrey,

I am a pretty big fan of both Marantz and Denon. I can’t speak for either of the models you are looking at, however I know both manufacturers have had problems with certain (even more expensive) models from time to time.

I listened to several receivers before I bought a Marantz SR8000 earlier this year. Unfortunately, it has been discontinued, but I have nothing but great things to say about it. The Marantz’s sounded a little bit more natural to me, but that is personal preference. I definitely recommend you audition both of them (together if possible) before you make your decision. If you are worried about reliability, you might check around and see if you can find someone trying to unload a Marantz SR7000 or 8000 or the Denon 3300. All three were a little more expensive that what you were looking to spend (and only 5.1), but they have all been discontinued so there may be a deal out there somewhere. All three have good reputations too.

As far as your warranty question, you are correct. Many manufactures will not honor or even allow you to register a warranty for a product that was not purchased from an authorized dealer. Most manufacturers will authorize dealers that have a physical storefront to sell their products on the web (except for high end products). In that case, I like to run the store through the local BBB for good measure.

I hope that helps for what it’s worth… :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for replying. :)

But I really won't pay more then $450 currently.

C'est la vie

Anybody up to the subject ?

Best regards

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.