AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a Marantz DLP projector at a local shop and was very impressed with the picture. What "engine" is the Marantz based on? Also, I have never seen the Sony '10HT LCD projector. How does its performance compare with the Marantz DLP?

· Registered
634 Posts
The Marantz is based on a Plus engine. There is an 8000 which is SVGA and an 8100 which is XGA. They are pretty expensive compared to other units. The Sony is higher resolution than either. Marantz is 4:3, Sony is 16:9. The biggest problem with the Sony, IMO, is the low contrast ratio. Unless you're really bothered by the greyish blacks of the Sony, I think it's better. If you see "rainbows", go with the Sony.

------------------

Steve

· Registered
159 Posts
I owned a Marantz VP8100 (XGA). The picture was very stable. The scaler on board is excellent. The big problem is color accuracy and contrast. I mean for the money.

There are several machines with as good a picture for way less $. I went with a Sanyo LCD for contrast and brightness. I had to invest in an outboard scaler to match the Marantz's picture clarity and stability. But still way cheaper than the VP8100.

· Registered
2,407 Posts
hjones,

I think there is a review of that unit in Stereophile Guide to Home Theater in last month or maybe further back. But it's a pretty good break down of the projector, and if I remember correctly, it's even compared (a little) to the Sony 10HT. You should check it out. If my info is wrong or you need more information, please email me and I'll dig through my old magazines for you. I know I have it lying around here somewhere.

Good luck,

Mike

------------------

Let's go out to the lobby.

Let's go out to the lobby.

To have ourselves a snack!

[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.