AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had started the other thread about having a dead mirror in the middle of my screen on the Marantz VP-12S1 and sent it in for warranty repair and was then told by Marantz in the Repair Report for the projector that their policy defect policy was up to 5 dead pixels/mirrors was within spec and thus projector was not considered defective and would not be fixed. Well, I don't know if maybe the wrong technician looked at my projector or if this was a rare occurence with the newer DLP projectors and they haven't had to deal with this situation before on this particular projector but Marantz is now replacing the defective DMD chip with the dead mirror in my projector.

My Hats Off to Marantz! The Marantz VP-12S1 puts out a fantastic image. One they should be very proud of and are. I will let everyone know how my projector is when I get it back and post all followups in this thread. For now I am pleased with the level of support from Marantz.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Congrats. squeaky wheel gets oiled/baby that cries gets fed or diaper changed :D

Good to see a mfg. stepping up to the plate.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
Hey that's great Mike, congrats! I'm really glad that Marantz is doing the right thing for you. Don't forget to post this in all the other threads where you mentioned your problems...

TM

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sounds to me like the first technician was giving you Marantz's policies regarding defective pixels on an LCD projector. Defective mirrors on a DMD panel are so infrequent that it's not worth the bad press to not replace them.

Dave

·
Registered
502 Posts
@mbw23air

Congratulations to the changing and enjoy the unit;

but I have to disgagree. Last weekend I saw this unit with "SHREK" - Okay, the colors have been to dark -but thats tweaking - but this unit lost sharpness at fast movements - like the donky was running from the selling, or the "wrestling" of SHREK a.s.o. Maybe, this the pj has problems with the filmmode in PAL;

Can you check, if there will be llosing of sharpness in the movie SHREK with your unit, That will be great.

BRW- the pj was shown by the company itself at the "High End" the recommendest - and expensiviest - show for audiophile

hb

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Good news.

I'm surprised by the PAL problem. Given the extra resolution of PAL, I would have thought this would be less of a problem, if anything. Here in North America, 480 line DVDs are rock solid, as is HD, even HD sports. No blurring duing camera pans or motion artifacts of any kind, at least as far as I can tell. Indeed the Marantz's rock solid image is one its strengths compared to other DLPs.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Mike:

What bothers me is that no one here wants to give credit where credit is due. After your post I contacted Marantz of Japan and warned them that I would be publishing a follow-up review of the 5 projectors I haven't seen http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=139627 and that I would be taking this thread into consideration in my review. No more than a few hours later, it appears Kwon was told your projector would be fixed.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
157 Posts
Congrats Mike! Are you sure you want to sell it after all you have been through? :) No need to reply.

Good work by the people at Marantz (Dan and others). I hope they continue to be as responsive as they have shown so far.

Gord

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Are you sure you want to sell it after all you have been through? No need to reply.
Gord,

You would think with all of my bad luck with this proejctor that I have had more than my fair share but I can't take it any more. The Marantz puts out an excellent image it was actually better than I could hope for. After I sell it I will see about a US Sharp or Dwin DLP that way I will be able to get it fixed in US and won't have to worry about them rejecting it for service and be covered for at least 3 years.

Mike

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mike, I hear you. It's just that you have been to hell and back and the sailing from here will, in all likelihood, be smooth. Despite it all, you still have some bucks in your pocket relative to your other options for an HD1 projector and let's face it, we will both want a newer, brighter, better projector before those 3 years are up anyway! :D By then, Marantz and all the other companies will sell their PJs for prices that are realistic. Good luck either way.

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Amazing what bad press will do. Congrats Mike. Still I've not been impressed with Marantz quality control or cust. service. It took a barage of outcry before they acted. Even now they're not honoring their global warranty claim as you and others had to send their Japanese PJ back to Japan with lots of postage cost. Shame, shame, shame.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Even now they're not honoring their global warranty claim as you and others had to send their Japanese PJ back to Japan with lots of postage cost.
Huey,

That is all what it boils down to for me. Sure, I wishfully thought when I first bought the Marantz that I would be covered here in US by reading the global warranty policy and could send it to the US Marantz Service Center. Well, my wishful thinking ended when I had my first problem. When I get my projector back this time I will have paid for 2 roundtrips to Japan with insurance for this projector which will be around $1000 total. So it costs an average of $500 everytime I have a problem. With my luck and rate of problems I can't afford to not sell it. Someone will get a nice Marantz projector and probably have no problems but I'm not going to take that chance. It will be hard for me to find a DLP projector that will have a picture as good as the Marantz but unfortunately I will have to try one of those instead.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:
Shrek looks sharp and clear on my marantz. no motion artifacts that I've noticed - I think the faroudja chips do a bang up job.
I agree.

Mike

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.