AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marantz dp870 decoder and an SR-96 receiver. When I hook up the dvd player (optical out) to the dp870 then for the main select screen I get surround sound, but once the movie starts the sound only comes through the front left and right speakers.

I've tried coaxial in, and changing the dvd audio settings and I've also tried it with the blue ray player and it does the same thing. I have the receiver set for the 6 channel input and the dp870 says it has the ac-3 signal, though when the movie starts it goes away for the blue-ray but not for the dvd player. Is it just that my dp870 is to old to work with the newer dvd players?

When I play the surround sound from direct's dvr it has no problems.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Tears

The DP870 (I still have one!) will only decode Dolby Digital (and 2ch PCM) streams. If you are using a Blu-ray disc, chances there is no DD signal as most seem to have DTSMA as the main soundtrack with no DD other than maybe for the alternative languages. Most likely you will not get any surround sound from Blu-ray and only get 2ch if the player can convert the DTS to a 2ch PCM downmix. I am not sure if all players can do this.

As for the 2ch with DD signals, maybe it is a setting in the player where you have it set to downmix to 2ch fro 5.1? My 870 worked fine with my first Blu-ray player for the few titles that had DD (5.1) as the main sound stream when hooked up with the coaxial connection. I could not get any sound for DTS discs and had to buy a more up to date processor - Yamaha 861 - that could decode DD, DTS (not the lossless) and LPCM multichannel (HDMI) when decoded in the player.

Hope this helps.....

Cheers,

P.E.H.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I still have my 870/SR96...first AV receiver/decoder combination I purchased fond memories of the pre-DVD days (LD and VHS.) Was using my 96 to drive my current system's front channels but recently retired it from the rack as I upgraded to a newer receiver. I believe most/all bluray players will output a downmixed DD 5.1 signal over the optical/coax output. For your dvd player see the manual to configure the unit for optical/coax downmix output (vs HDMI audio.) My guess is the player is configured to output PCM over optical/coax. Set it to DD/DTS/all (something like that.)

Reactions: Less Opinion
1 - 3 of 3 Posts