AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend asked me about this player , Marantz DV7600, and since i have no working knowledge I though I'd post to see if anybody has opinions .....good or bad. His primary use is SACD, CD, DVD in that order.

·
Registered
828 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 /forum/post/0

A friend asked me about this player , Marantz DV7600, and since i have no working knowledge I though I'd post to see if anybody has opinions .....good or bad. His primary use is SACD, CD, DVD in that order.

I only heard the player briefly. I have a DV9600 for just over a year. I had separate SACD and DVD-A players before the DV9600, incl. a Modwright XA-777ES for SACD. With the slowing release schedule for hi-rez, I decided to sell the Modwright player and the Sony TA-P9000ES I used to switch between multi-channel SACD and DVD-S while I could get a decent amt. for them. I was buying many more CDs than anything else at that point. I think the DV9600 is decent on SACD and CD. I've compared it to a bunch of things (e.g. a friend brought over his XA-9000ES and we both thought the sound quality was close on SACD with a very slight nod to the XA-9000ES). I use my DV9600 with an outboard DAC for CDs as on its own it is not in the league of the Modwright XA-777ES I sold. Personally unless one has tons of SACDs (I have a few over 200), it is hard for me to put SACD as a 1st priority given the lack of major studio support and the small number I buy at this point (maybe 10-12/yr.).

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have the Marantz 9600 universal player. I purchased it modified (Dave Schulte) and never had the opportunity to listen to it directly out of the box. That said, it is much better sounding than my earlier Denon 2900.

Insofar as the 7600, I cannot say...

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have the Marantz DV6600 SACD/DVD. This player has been great for me, for both music and movies. Since I purchased the player, I find myself listening to more music than I once did. I'm sure that the DV7600 would be even better than the player I enjoy so much today.

Unfortunately, I don't have much to compare it to, it replaced my old Sony which was still a nice piece.

Mike

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the DV7600 and like it. It replaced a Cambridge Audio 540D which had problems.

I do not use it's HDMI output as I have no need for it.For SACD and DVD-A it much better than the CA540D (which only did DVD-A) or the HK 31( DVD-A) or Oppo 970

Small issue with the DV7600 after inserting a DVD-A one must stop playback, go into menu to switch from " Bitstream" to " Off".This only needs to be done once, as long as your playing DVD-A, all other playback modes can be accessed during playback.( I understand this is the same on the Denon 2910 )

On SACD you can access menu in the play mode.The remote has a button for" S mode " which must be activated for multi channel or it will only play in 2 channel.The owners manual failed to mention this.

Bass management is OK, you can change speaker size , distance and levels, but not crossover points.

THis player plays anything I throw at it. While not listed for DVD+R it hasn't failed to play one yet.

All in all I am very happy with this player, some SACD'S and DVD-A's sound a bit light on bass. Many don't.This was a gripe of some concerning it's bass management.It has been suggested to set all speakers to -6 and Sub to +6. This works fine, for say The Moody Blues SACD releases, but it is not needed for any others IMO.

I paid 1/2 of MSRP. At this price I feel I couldn't have gotten a better buy.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your feedback, I'll see my buddy in the gym tomorrow and pass it on. He had mention buying it from one of the "web" advertisers so I guess that explains the sizeable discount off msrp.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.