AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dan Miller implied in a previous post that Marantz flicker was due to the bulb design, but Marantz hasn't officially diagnosed the problem yet.

I noticed something last night that may suggest otherwise. On "Laurence of Arabia" there are several minutes of opening music with a completely "black" screen. During the black, there is no flicker that I could see. If the flicker was due to the bulb, presumably it would flicker in this scenario since the bulb output doesn't change based on the state of the content.

My theory based on this observation is that the flicker has something to do with the micromirrors. Maybe there is some voltage fluctuation that causes the mirrors to vary in their deflection slightly, thus changing the overall brightness of the screen, and that this fluctuation doesn't happen when the mirrors are in their "no reflection" position. Not knowing the 1st thing about the design of the DMD chip, I don't know if it is possible for them to screw something like this up; we know it's not a problem with the DMD itself, since it doesn't happen on other PJs.

Thoughts? It would actually be advantagous for those of us with the flicker if this turns out to be the problem, since Marantz couldn't hide behind the bulb warranty. :)

b

·
Registered
95 Posts
As far as I know the flicker is caused by the Bulb (made by Phoenix). It is not a Phoenix fault, however, but a Marantz fault: I think they should have tested that lamp deeper and longer...

My .02

ifx-

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Billybob, after replacing my bulb I have no flickering whatsoever (knock on wood). Everything else is the same so I do not see how anything else might be to blame. Also, the pj is a LOT brighter now than before. I am running High Bright=Off, Lamp=low, contrast=84, brightness=38 and my picture is easily twice as bright. Before I had everthing max'd and I thought I was going blind:)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Billybob,

I can clearly see the flicker even with the picture muted. Althought that doesnt rule out your theory. I too as others hope its simply the bulb, because we will live with it until the bulb dies, and hopefully upon replacement the flicker will be cured.

Michael,

How many hours have you put on that new bulb so far? Im glad the flicker is gone for you. My flicker went a week or so with becoming furthur apart, but last night it happened more frequently, so Im not sure what variables have to happen to cause the flickjer. Heck, it could even be the weather / temperature that might be making a difference.

MovieMan

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
MovieMan, I've been busy lately and I have only about 26+ hours on the pj's new bulb. It still looks great and there definitely is no flicker of any kind. I put my HTPC's screen up to see how it was - also no flickering, btw - this is where I first noticed it on the old bulb and reported it on this forum back in Feb. A static screen like a computer's desktop will show the flicker big-time!

·
Registered
196 Posts
Odd. I've seen flicker constantly with HTPC (ATI 7200), but never with Dish6000. Both feeding from VGA through Kramer VP211.

BTW, the lip-sync problem with Sharps makes all the sense in the world... its video processing is too slow. I'll bet video is NEVER faster than audio, and I'll bet it's unfixable with their hardware.

(P.S. Hello billybob. We know each other)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Zeke,

I called and emailed ~15 bulb dealers today. To date, only A-1 Illuminations carried it, and quoted me $485 + $20 shipping. Youch! Since mine's still working (albeit with the flicker) I'm going to hold off until more dealers carry this bulb and there's some price competition. This may not happen til a year or so from when the PJ first shipped, since folks won't hit 2000 hours til then?

b

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.