AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking at getting a few of these amps but wanted some feedback from those who know about them, have heard them, or own a few. I have wanted separates for awhile now and am debating weather or not to get 5 of these and keep the speakers (old infinity cs 3008's and another set of infintiy cappa series speakers for the rears) and old reciever to use as a pre/pro (denon avr 5600dts) I have ...Or Get a set of M$K s150's and the rear ss-150 tripoles and no new mono blocks just use the denon for the power. You can see my pisspoor webpage of my H.T. layout. I do need to get some updated picts up as it is done and finished out now but this will give yall the jist of things.

HERE

Any help with this issue would be great.

mikes

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I'll attest to the quality of the M&K setup. I have the S-150's for front L/R/C, two pairs of the 150 tripoles for 7.1 surround, and the 150THX powered sub. I am completely and thoroughly blown away. They're driven by a Rotel RMB-1075 (120x5) and RB-1050 (70x2) hooked up to an Anthem AVM 20.

Make sure your Denon is rated to handle the 4 ohm impedance of the M&K though.

I don't have any experience with the Marantz amps, but I can say that moving from my Polk setup (RT800i's, CS400i center, fx400i surrounds, and PSW350 sub) to the M&K's was a revelation.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Keep in mind that the MA700 Marantz monoblocks are no longer a current product offered by Marantz. You would have to buy used.

Marantz only offers the MA6100 Monoblocks, 125W, THX Ultra certified.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
From some reviews I've seen of recent 5 channel amps, you can do better than those Marantz monos for the same prices (or less).

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Speakers tend to make the biggest difference in a system, and the M&K 150s I just got definitely qualify. I would use the Denon for awhile (i know of several stores who do this, so won't be a problem), and then add an amp later if/when you find the need. I have setup 750s on yamaha receivers and it worked well, as well as 750s on Denons to work well. 150s haven't tried, but don't think they are any harder to drive than the 750s.

For amps, i bought a Sherbourn 5/1500 which does the job very well...300w into 4 is more than enough for these speakers. Since it is being discontinued, the pricing is great on these now. The thing about the Marantz is that you have 5 power cords....how annoying. Since the sherbourn is 5 monos in 1 chassis, much easier to setup and maintain.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input yall....I did not know that this product was not offered anymore by marantz. I really wanted to go with a new speaker system but found a deal on a few of the monoblocks. I will contact denon to see if the 4 ohms will damage my reciever, if not then looks as though santa will be bringing me some new speakers.

Thanks again,

mikes

·
Registered
342 Posts
I just posted my two cents worth earlier on another thread, but, will repeat my take again. I love the M&K's and they are pretty effciient. But, I would not go for the Marrantz monoblocks when I can have a ATI amp for less and have a much greater power supply. Why not check out ATI AT1500 model. It can be gotton for a little over $1,000 if you shop around and this 75 lb amp comes with a very powerful transformer(2kVA). It is being replaced by a new line of amps, so you can probably get a good deal. Im getting a AT2500 model to have a real whollop of SPL in my large room. Or, you can get by with your present setup, but, you may never be totally happy until you go to seperates. Its really the way to go!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.