AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm just after some advice, I am planing on getting a new hifi setup and have narrowed it down to the following gear.

Paradigm Studio 100 v5

I can't decide between the Oppo BDP-93 or the BDP-95

Marantz AV7005

And that just leaves the amp, does anyone think that the MM7055 will sound better or be a better match with the other gear than the T975, I am sure the T975 will be more powerful as I can biamp the Studio 100's, I like the fact that the Marantz doesn't have any cooling fans but I'm not sure if it will be powerful enough to drive the Studio 100's and matching surrounds (CC 690 center and Studio 20 rears) with enough authority, I do like to turn things up on occasions.

I can't preview any of this gear before hand (although I have owned the Studio 100 v3 and a Nad C272 before so I do know what they sound like, I've just never listened to Marantz before) so any help will be much appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I'm also planning on getting the Marantz AV7005, but I'll be using the Totem Tribe in-walls 7.1 system rather the Paradigm. I've been research the best amp to go with the AV7005. I had a brief demo session at a local store recently, and I can't say I was impressed by the Marantz MM7055. I thought even the amp section from the Arcam AVR400 receiver sounded much better than the MM7055, smoother and more detailed. However I was advised that the Arcam is quite buggy with it's processor section. The store recommended that I pair the Marantz AV7005 with the Arcam P777 amp ($6000), which was way out of my price range. I've been researching the best 7 channel amp in the $2000 range to match with the Marantz AV7005 since, and so far the intriguing candidates include NAD M25, NAD T975, Wyred4Sound MMC-7, Parasound New Classic 5125/2125 combo, B&K 200.7, etc. I think I would probably go with the NAD M25 or Wyred4Sound MMC-7 if I can find a good deal, but I'm intrigued by the NAD T975 since it's $500 less than the M25. I wonder if it's really that much worse than the M25 sonically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzz46 /forum/post/20875253

Hi, I'm just after some advice, I am planing on getting a new hifi setup and have narrowed it down to the following gear.

Paradigm Studio 100 v5

I can't decide between the Oppo BDP-93 or the BDP-95

Marantz AV7005

And that just leaves the amp, does anyone think that the MM7055 will sound better or be a better match with the other gear than the T975, I am sure the T975 will be more powerful as I can biamp the Studio 100's, I like the fact that the Marantz doesn't have any cooling fans but I'm not sure if it will be powerful enough to drive the Studio 100's and matching surrounds (CC 690 center and Studio 20 rears) with enough authority, I do like to turn things up on occasions.

I can't preview any of this gear before hand (although I have owned the Studio 100 v3 and a Nad C272 before so I do know what they sound like, I've just never listened to Marantz before) so any help will be much appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybob /forum/post/20876061

I'm also planning on getting the Marantz AV7005, but I'll be using the Totem Tribe in-walls 7.1 system rather the Paradigm. I've been research the best amp to go with the AV7005. I had a brief demo session at a local store recently, and I can't say I was impressed by the Marantz MM7055. I thought even the amp section from the Arcam AVR400 receiver sounded much better than the MM7055, smoother and more detailed. However I was advised that the Arcam is quite buggy with it's processor section. The store recommended that I pair the Marantz AV7005 with the Arcam P777 amp ($6000), which was way out of my price range. I've been researching the best 7 channel amp in the $2000 range to match with the Marantz AV7005 since, and so far the intriguing candidates include NAD M25, NAD T975, Wyred4Sound MMC-7, Parasound New Classic 5125/2125 combo, B&K 200.7, etc. I think I would probably go with the NAD M25 or Wyred4Sound MMC-7 if I can find a good deal, but I'm intrigued by the NAD T975 since it's $500 less than the M25. I wonder if it's really that much worse than the M25 sonically...

Thanks for the reply, I think I will probably end up going with the T975 when I'm ready to purchase, having plenty of power is always good, and the Marantz's power ratings are with 2 channels driven only.

I live in New Zealand so I don't have many hifi shops/components to choose from and the only other amp I have found similar to the T975 in terms of power is the Rotel RMB1575, but thats a class D amp and I'm not too sure about those, the M25 ($8000 NZ dollars) is out of the question for me as its literally twice the price of the T975 ($4000 NZ dollars)

The only thing about the T975 I'm not too sure of is the fans, whether or not I will hear them on occasions, or will they activate when just listening to loud multichannel channel music/movies etc...

In regards to the Oppo I think I might actually go for the Oppo BDP-93NE instead.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybob /forum/post/20877001

Were you able to hear both the T975 and M25? Do they really sound that different?

No I haven't even heard the T975, but I assume it probably sounds similar to a C272, I wouldn't want to listen to the M25 in case I liked it too much (and its too expensive for me) I used to have a Nad C542 cd player which I upgraded to the Nad M55 Master series player and it wasn't a big difference in sound quality, the M55 just sounded that little bit classier, the C542 was much better value for money though, so I am guessing the differences between the T975 and the M25 will probably be similar.

Actually I have just discovered that I can get an Anthem MCA 50 for about $1000 more, so I will probably forget about the Marantz and just decide between the Anthem and the Nad, I started a new thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357027

And If I do go for the MCA 50 I may just bite the bullet and fork out for the Anthem AVM 50v, its expensive ($10,000 NZ dollars) but apparently its very good, and get the Oppo BDP-95 as it has XLR outputs.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Isn't Anthem MCA 50 only 5 channel? Do you need the T975's 7 channels, or just 5 channel? If only 5, I think there are a lot more and possibly better options you can look into in this price range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzz46 /forum/post/20877747

No I haven't even heard the T975, but I assume it probably sounds similar to a C272, I wouldn't want to listen to the M25 in case I liked it too much (and its too expensive for me) I used to have a Nad C542 cd player which I upgraded to the Nad M55 Master series player and it wasn't a big difference in sound quality, the M55 just sounded that little bit classier, the C542 was much better value for money though, so I am guessing the differences between the T975 and the M25 will probably be similar.

Actually I have just discovered that I can get an Anthem MCA 50 for about $1000 more, so I will probably forget about the Marantz and just decide between the Anthem and the Nad, I started a new thread here http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1357027

And If I do go for the MCA 50 I may just bite the bullet and fork out for the Anthem AVM 50v, its expensive ($10,000 NZ dollars) but apparently its very good, and get the Oppo BDP-95 as it has XLR outputs.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by happybob /forum/post/20880915

Isn't Anthem MCA 50 only 5 channel? Do you need the T975's 7 channels, or just 5 channel? If only 5, I think there are a lot more and possibly better options you can look into in this price range.

I only really need 5 channels, if I get a 7 channel amp I would biamp my fronts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.