AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Yesterday I purchased a Marantz nr1403 receiver and I set everything up, no problem. It all seems to be working fine. Today I went to connect my Macbook Air to the AUX HDMI input on the FRONT of the receiver via an HDMI to Mini Display cable. The screen on my macbook flickers as it does when a display is connected but no display appears on the TV. I can plug the macbook into any of the HDMI ports on the back of the receiver and the macbook's display appears on the TV and everything seems to work fine. When I connect other devices, such as a blu-ray player, to the front HDMI AUX port they work fine as well. If I goto Setup Assistant on the receiver and choose Input Setup, there is no AUX input listed, only the ones on the back are listed, cable/sat, game, dvd, etc. No AUX. Does anyone have any helpful information? I called Marantz and they could not help me. They said that all the ports are the same and if it works on other ports, and the port itself is functioning, it should behave the same as all the other ports.

Summary: Macbook air display doesn't appear on TV when connected to AUX HDMI port of Marantz nr1403, but works on other HDMI ports and other HDMI devices work on the AUX port.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I purchased the AVR new actually. But I just now discovered the problem isn't the receiver, it appears to be my macbook. My parents have a Macbook Air as well (1 year older than mine) and I managed to plug it into the front AUX port with the same cable and it works perfectly. This appears to be an issue with my macbook air. I know this is not this forum's area of expertise and I respect that. I will leave this post for a short while just to see if anyone has any useful suggestions before I delete. Thanks!

Also, I tried resetting the NVRAM on the Macbook to no avail.

·
Registered
12,200 Posts
What OS is in the MacBook..
Make sure everything is updated..
The latest is Yosemite 10.10.3

Just my $0.02... ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having similar problems with my MBP and Marantz nr1605 receiver.
When connecting mac laptop to any HDMI port in the receiver the image won't stay up and flickers. I have tried with two different hdmi cables and mini displayport adapters. Tried also with different signal conversion settings and hdmi settings ... no help.

This is not happening with my old windows laptop which goes hdmi to hdmi. If I connect mac straight to tv everything works.
I guess the problem is
a) the mini displayport adapter is doing something to the signal and the receiver is confused or something :D
b) mac output somewhat incorrect signal and the tv is not so picky about it but marantz is.

I will try the NVRAM reset next.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'm having similar problems with my MBP and Marantz nr1605 receiver.
When connecting mac laptop to any HDMI port in the receiver the image won't stay up and flickers. I have tried with two different hdmi cables and mini displayport adapters. Tried also with different signal conversion settings and hdmi settings ... no help.

This is not happening with my old windows laptop which goes hdmi to hdmi. If I connect mac straight to tv everything works.
I guess the problem is
a) the mini displayport adapter is doing something to the signal and the receiver is confused or something :D
b) mac output somewhat incorrect signal and the tv is not so picky about it but marantz is.

I will try the NVRAM reset next.
NVRAM reset did not help

·
Registered
8 Posts
Similar experience here too.

Mbp 2019 works ok connected direct to tv or rear hdmi of av receiver. But not with front hdmi of av receiver, marantz nr-1509.

Using same cable, front hdmi works fine with other sources like ps4, appletv, xiaomi media player but just not with mbp.

Still scratching my head.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same issue here with my Marantz AV8805.

I spent half the day troubleshooting why my AV8805 wasn't recognized in the System Preferences -> Sound panel of 3 different Macs (2012 and 2018 MacBook Pros, 2014 iMac) using 3 different HDMI adapters (as necessary) and 2 different HDMI cables. I FINALLY found this post and figured out that the issue is specific to the front HDMI input on the Marantz. The first rear HDMI input that I tried works fine.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for taking the time to share your findings. You saved me further frustration today.

·
Premium Member
90,406 Posts
Same issue here with my Marantz AV8805.

I spent half the day troubleshooting why my AV8805 wasn't recognized in the System Preferences -> Sound panel of 3 different Macs (2012 and 2018 MacBook Pros, 2014 iMac) using 3 different HDMI adapters (as necessary) and 2 different HDMI cables. I FINALLY found this post and figured out that the issue is specific to the front HDMI input on the Marantz. The first rear HDMI input that I tried works fine.

I just wanted to say THANK YOU for taking the time to share your findings. You saved me further frustration today.
As noted on p. 305 of the AV8805 Owner's manual (with the same note in every other Denon/Marantz manual that features a front HDMI input) ...

The HDMI connector on the front panel supports YCbCr 4:2:0 format only.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts