AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I'm thinking about buying either the Marantz NR1601 or the Onkyo SR608/RC260. (The two Onkyos are essentially the same receiver, except the RC260 does not feature THX certification, Sirius radio, or a PC input, none of which I care about all that much. The RC260 is like $30 less than the SR608. I'll snatch up either depending on what kind of prices are being offered.)

Anyway, between the Onkyos and the Marantz, the question comes down to style or substance.

Marantz: Very small, slim, good-looking, excellent sound. I can plug my iPod in using my iPod's own USB cord. Power is rated as less than the Onkyos, but Marantz is known for giving accurate power ratings, where Onkyo pumps up power ratings for marketing purposes. Major downside: The Marantz only has four HDMI inputs.

Onkyo: Much larger and bulkier, but a bit cheaper. However, I'd have to buy an iPod adapter, since Onkyo has a proprietary cable connection. On the plus side, the Onkyo has six HDMI inputs, which means I'd basically be set for life.

So would you go for the generally higher-end sleeker Marantz with fewer inputs, or the more budget-conscious bulkier Onkyo with more inputs?

·
Registered
40 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aetsch /forum/post/19534169

Basically, I'm thinking about buying either the Marantz NR1601 or the Onkyo SR608/RC260. (The two Onkyos are essentially the same receiver, except the RC260 does not feature THX certification, Sirius radio, or a PC input, none of which I care about all that much. The RC260 is like $30 less than the SR608. I'll snatch up either depending on what kind of prices are being offered.)

Anyway, between the Onkyos and the Marantz, the question comes down to style or substance.

Marantz: Very small, slim, good-looking, excellent sound. I can plug my iPod in using my iPod's own USB cord. Power is rated as less than the Onkyos, but Marantz is known for giving accurate power ratings, where Onkyo pumps up power ratings for marketing purposes. Major downside: The Marantz only has four HDMI inputs.

Onkyo: Much larger and bulkier, but a bit cheaper. However, I'd have to buy an iPod adapter, since Onkyo has a proprietary cable connection. On the plus side, the Onkyo has six HDMI inputs, which means I'd basically be set for life.

So would you go for the generally higher-end sleeker Marantz with fewer inputs, or the more budget-conscious bulkier Onkyo with more inputs?

I am debating between the same two receivers. Which one did you choose and are you happy with your choice?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts