AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find this story very funny...

It was very recently that I commented that just about every Blu-ray player except for expensive "boutique" players would soon include streaming. I guess this is one way for the "boutique" players to sell their players to folks looking to get into streaming video!

Quote:
Marantz America said consumers who purchase one of its Blu-ray players by March 31 from an authorized dealer are eligible to receive a free Roku HD digital video player via mail-in rebate.

The Blu-ray players include models UD9004 ($5,999 suggested retail), UD8004 ($2,299), BD7004 ($799) or BD5004 ($549), Marantz said.

The Roku HD player allows users to stream a range of Internet media services in HD, including Netflix, Amazon, Pandora, Major League Baseball, among others.

Customer rebate-redemption forms are available at www.us.marantz.com .

Kevin Zarow, sales and marketing senior VP, Marantz America, commented, "By offering people the opportunity to receive a free Roku HD player with their Marantz Blu-ray purchase, we are significantly adding value while also bringing attention to the ‘entertainment expanding' capability of our high-performance Blu-ray players."
http://www.twice.com/article/449516-..._Consumers.php

·
Registered
796 Posts
So once again we see a company giving away streaming for free with a disc purchase.

I hope they never plan to charge for streaming, after years of making it free, people might be a little upset.

Sure sure, they are giving it away because the player doesn't have it built in. But they are still giving it away.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still think it is absolutely hilarious that a company that obviously was marketing their Blu-ray player solely on the highlights of Blu-ray feels compelled to offer streaming IN A STAND-ALONE DEVICE to generate interest for the Blu-ray player.

Streaming is becoming ubiquitous with CE devices.... even if someone is silly enough to build a device without it built in!!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
So...what your saying is that one who is contemplating dropping $2300 on a BD player somehow determines it is now a good value because someone throws in a $79 dollar Roku box.

Right...

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/18240812

So...what your saying is that one who is contemplating dropping $2300 on a BD player somehow determines it is now a good value because someone throws in a $79 dollar Roku box.

Right...

No. That is what Marantz is saying is necessary to move that $2300 box... and I am right there with you finding it hilarious!

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
I didn't even know a $6,000 Blu-Ray player existed.

I am dying to know how much of an improvement that would have to be over a "cheap" $400 PS3 (for example) to warrant spending an additional $5,600 for.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
Shouldn't something that costs $6.000 bucks come with freakin streaming ability built it? Who needs more box clutter in their entertainment cabinet?

·
Banned
350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/18241381

Shouldn't something that costs $6.000 bucks come with freakin streaming ability built it? Who needs more box clutter in their entertainment cabinet?

Does Ferari F350 has cup holders? And it cost what $350,000?

What the masses think is convenient isn't necessary so for the elite.

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/18241381

The SOC chips in most Blu-ray players come from the same couple of sources, and have that you need to add streaming basically built-in.

The "boutique" players tend to go an entirely different route and don't necessarily have the infrastructure for streaming.

My guess is that Marantz did this because their customers had the same basic question. Why the hell does your $6,000 player not have the functionality that I want and can get from a $200 player at Best Buy?

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpconvert /forum/post/18244825

or roku doesn't want to haul 400,000 surplus boxes to the dump for disposal

ROFL!

On a side note, Roku is branching out in some truly interesting ways. They are partnering with RE/MAX to use the Roku to deliver training into agents homes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts