AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 13 year old Denon 1100 has finally died, so I looking for a new AV receiver to replace it. Denon is to expensive in Australia so I'm looking at either a Pioneer VSX 917 or a Marantz sr301.

I'm wanting it mostly for music, playing CD's from my Denon CD player and I would like to able to use my iPod with the receiver.

I will also be using the receiver for listening to the TV in surround sound and the occasional movie.

So if anyone could help me in deciding which is the better of the two that would be appreciated.

Thank you

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
As best I can tell from a Web search, the Marantz SR 301 is an older (perhaps discontinued) model without HDMI. As a result, it should have a *very* low price.

The Pioneer VSX 917 does have HDMI, although not the latest "lossless" HD audio decoders. It also has a somewhat more substantial power supply (450 Watts vs 350 Watts for the Marantz) so it can drive your speakers to a very slightly higher volume level without clipping.

In other words, technically, I'd have to favor the Pioneer, but you might like the sound of the Marantz better.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts