AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you found that by using a progressive scan DVD player signal with your projector you get better or worse PQ than by sending the projector an interlaced signal? Just wondering which looks and works better. Thanks.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Eric,

That one's been tossed around alot. It's been 50-50 as to which one looks better. I have my Tosh 4700 pegged on interlaced and let the PJ do its own thing. Personally, this setting suits me. It might be different with other players. I think it's up to you which one you like.

Just my $0.02.

·
Registered
445 Posts
I have a Denon DVD-9000 player and have done comparison using video sources (no test patterns yet). The best conculsion I have been able to reach up to now is that the Silicon Graphics is very close to the Farujda. The difference appears to be that the SG is a little more detailed. This is good with good sources but bad with poor transfers. With poor dvd's, I like the Farujda as it makes things look smoother. Very slight differences though.

I was hoping theat for the big cost of the Denon I would see a clear difference. Not so.

I will try to update with test patterns if I can find the time.

Denon Jeff, - care to comment?

Tim

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
I have tried 4 new DVD players with my Marantz and in each case the image from the progressive mode looked slightly sharper than interlaced.

HOWEVER I finally gave up as I haven't been able to get the Marantz to cleanly lock on the progressive signal. Some times it is perfect for a whole movie. More often I get a "jittering" effect from every few minutes to every 5 seconds at its worse.

I finally settled on the Sony NS900 after trying and returning the Philips Q50 (a disaster functionally), a Sony NS300 and the Panasonic RP56. It still has the jitter sometimes but less than the others. Normally I just use the interlaced signal as once the jittering starts it gets more frequent and is pretty annoying.

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Carl Brinkman
I have tried 4 new DVD players with my Marantz and in each case the image from the progressive mode looked slightly sharper than interlaced.

HOWEVER I finally gave up as I haven't been able to get the Marantz to cleanly lock on the progressive signal. Some times it is perfect for a whole movie. More often I get a "jittering" effect from every few minutes to every 5 seconds at its worse.

I finally settled on the Sony NS900 after trying and returning the Philips Q50 (a disaster functionally), a Sony NS300 and the Panasonic RP56. It still has the jitter sometimes but less than the others. Normally I just use the interlaced signal as once the jittering starts it gets more frequent and is pretty annoying.
Carl, give me a call or PM me. That shouldn't be happening.

Aside from that, unless you have as good as Faroudja in your DVD, PQ will be better interlaced to the PJ (wow, look at all the acronyms).

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.