AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had come to the decision to buy a Pany 42 until I saw the Marantz PD4293D. I'll be testing it and hopefully comparing to the Pany 42 next week.

Before though, I would appreciate any comments, experiences, and impressions from people who may have had the chance to test it or own it.

Thanks.

Nori

· Registered
15,606 Posts
Nori,

My local AV store has the Marantz and the Panny units. I've only seen the Marantz/Panny comparison on HDTV signals.

The Marantz has a nice image but, in casual comparison the Marantz did not have as good contrast - lighter black levels - as the Panasonic models. The Marantz plasma was quite bright and vivid, but due to the lighter black levels, whenever an image was displayed that called for reproduction of darker hues, the Marantz looked a bit flatter and more washed out than the Panasonic models (I'm including the Panny 42" vs. Marantz 42," as well as the Panny 50" vs Marantz 50" in this assesment).

But take that for what it's worth; I could not fiddle with the picture parameters of the Marantz.

Rich.

· Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your comments. What attracted me to the Marantz is that it looks good, the DVI-I is included along with all possible inputs, and an overall great image with nice menu/setup options. I did notice the flattness in the blacks, but I'll try to tweak it to a desired setting when I test it. I was also told Marantz uses NEC screens for the PD42? There is also the high def version of the PD42, but I don't think I need to spend that much considering that I'd be using it primarily for DVD viewing. My first option is still the Pany, but if the Marantz proved worthy of a decent evaluation, I'll consider buying it.

Any owners of a Marantz out there?

· Registered
66 Posts
I looked at the Panny and the Marantz, and settled on the Marantz. I'm very happy with it....picture's been great. I did side-by-side to Panny, and actually liked the Marantz better (I found this to be true with the 42, NOT with the 50").

I've heard that Panny is STILL have manufacturing issues with their 42's, and the NEC-based Marantz seems to be much more stable.

I haven't yet been successful in getting the Marantz DVI input to work from my HTPC though, not quite sure what the issue is and I haven't spent much time on it yet. For now, I use most of the inputs (AV processor in one HD, XBox into another HD, HTPC with HiPix into RGB).

· Registered
32,174 Posts
There are probably 50x as many Panasonics in existence vs. the Marantz. Heaven knows what this "manufacturing issues" inuendo is supposedly about.

The Panasonic has a bug with the VGA port in that it won't take 1080i (which Panasonic now says is intentional and tough luck). Otherwise, the set appears to be built like a tank. The new Magnolia Hi-Fi near me has four of them on display.

I really think the build quality stuff is a red herring. The Panasonic is also much cheaper at most places.

Mark

· Registered
66 Posts
I wasn't trying to be cagey with "manufacturing issues." When I was buying, I had 2 different dealers and a (non-local) distributor tell me that the Panasonic 42's were unavailable because they had moved manufacturing to a different plant and were having trouble getting yields up. There was (and may still be) about a 6-month period when they were not shipping much at all, according to people I tried to buy from.

rogo is absolutely right that there are a ton more Panasonics in use than Marantz will ever hope to sell...

· Registered
376 Posts
Well went to my local dealer and he had both, Marantz and the Panny..Marantz is being installed either Thursday or Friday ..

looks like a nice unit and I think I will be happy.

· Registered
32,174 Posts
Well I don't believe those dealer or the distributor, diamar. There was a shortage of displays late last year. There is no evidence that was caused by anything other than a lot of demand.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.