AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for information regarding Marantz quality, specifically relating to the AV7005 (I have been following the dedicated thread on this pre/pro).

My local high end shop, who I have done business with for years is dropping Marantz, claiming that the quality of the product (failure/ defect rates), parts availability and overall sound quality has gone way down hill.

I am looking to replace an older Lexicon processor (proceed amps + B&W speakers) and am really excited about the AV7005, but my local dealer is making me nervous. I always gave them my business cause I trusted them and they were top tier when it came to loaner equipment, service, warranty, etc. They have suggested either Integra or Rotel.

They claim the 8003 was a nightmare for them with many units returned for repair, inability to get replacement parts and an overall poor sound quality (worse than Integra-?).

There is another local store I can order a AV7005 from, but its smaller, doesn't have this in stock (and won't), doesn't do loaners, etc. If I cannot demo the unit in my house (or even hear it anywhere) I am little nervous about dropping that much $ without ever hearing it.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have a SR6003 and the sound quality, to me, is excellent.

If you are serious about having the AV7005, I'd suggest looking online at Outlaw Audio. They are an authorized online reseller for Marantz. Also, You get the Outlaw guide written by them to better explain the setup and functionality of the Marantz components. You also get their in home trial period as well as them offering customer support for what they sell. Seems like a win-win.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb996 /forum/post/19555395

I am looking for information regarding Marantz quality, specifically relating to the AV7005 (I have been following the dedicated thread on this pre/pro).

My local high end shop, who I have done business with for years is dropping Marantz, claiming that the quality of the product (failure/ defect rates), parts availability and overall sound quality has gone way down hill.

I am looking to replace an older Lexicon processor (proceed amps + B&W speakers) and am really excited about the AV7005, but my local dealer is making me nervous. I always gave them my business cause I trusted them and they were top tier when it came to loaner equipment, service, warranty, etc. They have suggested either Integra or Rotel.

They claim the 8003 was a nightmare for them with many units returned for repair, inability to get replacement parts and an overall poor sound quality (worse than Integra-?).

There is another local store I can order a AV7005 from, but its smaller, doesn't have this in stock (and won't), doesn't do loaners, etc. If I cannot demo the unit in my house (or even hear it anywhere) I am little nervous about dropping that much $ without ever hearing it.

Thoughts??

I have not heard of any particular issues with Marantz units from a reliability issue either from professional reviews or on AVS. They also come with a 3 year waranty, which is better then most product lines these days. My gut is telling me the AV store has other motives but who knows.

·
Banned
431 Posts
My local dealer stopped recommending them as well. These guys are enthusiasts and not the type to drop them for business reasons. They told me that Marantz had quality control problems this past year and they said they can still get them but are cautious to recommend them until their problems are ironed out.

I tend to buy local and from dealers I can trust as well. I know I get loaners and superior service if there is a problem, plus people that are very knowledgeable if I have questions. I don't mind spening a little more to support them. It sounds like your dealer might be giving you honest advice but Outlaw also seems a safe bet if you try it and don't like it. Does AVS have a return policy? I think they sell Marantz too? See what they say.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Never had any problems with marantz. I went from marantz sr7000 to rotel rsx1056(problems) back to marantz sr8002. Also have 2 other marantz rec's no problems with any of them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
There were some problems with the '004 series, notably, the "Pop of Death" issue. Something to do with a change in the amp section. The '003 series did not have this problem and it would appear that the '005 series does not have the problem either. I have a 5003 and just love it!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I have always wondered what Marantz really is, these days. Do they have an R&D arm, or are they just a name? I understand they part of D&M Holdings. Just not sure who is really behind their designs. Certainly they could have their own engineering staff, I don't know.

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19558762

I have always wondered what Marantz really is, these days. Do they have an R&D arm, or are they just a name? I understand they part of D&M Holdings. Just not sure who is really behind their designs. Certainly they could have their own engineering staff, I don't know.

Today under D&M Holdings, Denon & Marantz have separate audio hardware development teams, and they source their products through different channels & subcontractors..

But since Denon sells 10x the # of AVRs over Marantz, going forward in their 2011 products they will start to use a common chassis/electrical circuits with different, unique external ID tooling. As the $ expenses for R&D development are simply too high and the return-on-investment for Marantz was too low...

Just my $0.02....

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Makes sense. Of course one option would have been for their engineers to concentrate on one of the most important aspects, from a sound perspective, the amplifier board, and perhaps have their own version of that.

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
As mackiefan said above, the only problematic units I know of are the X004. I currently use a 5003 as pre/pro and it's been problem-free. That said, I would probably be looking elsewhere among the "mid-fi" manufacturers if I were buying again today, simply because Marantz really appeared to handle the obvious issues with the 04 series very poorly and I wouldn't trust them to do any different with any other problems.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Which brings up an interesting point. Mass market receivers models change do quickly, you figure designers don't really have much time to work on them. It's really amazing when you consider you could spend a year on the software alone, with a sizeable team.

Their failures are probably not easily reversible if at the hardware level. They probably make revs to their design for later production runs. But a lemon is pretty much a lemon. It's amazing how few there are floating out there in the market.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code /forum/post/19559118

Today under D&M Holdings, Denon & Marantz have separate audio hardware development teams, and they source their products through different channels & subcontractors..

But since Denon sells 10x the # of AVRs over Marantz, going forward in their 2011 products they will start to use a common chassis/electrical circuits with different, unique external ID tooling. As the $ expenses for R&D development are simply too high and the return-on-investment for Marantz was too low...

Just my $0.02....

Are the x005 series a 2010 or 2011 product line?

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb996 /forum/post/19555395

The dealer may be referring to the repeatedly high failure rate of the 6004 and the 5004 receivers. There is a dedicated thread to these Pop of Deaths I started with numerous reports from all over the globe and a failure rate near 45%

·
Registered
12,310 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/19559319

Which brings up an interesting point. Mass market receivers models change do quickly, you figure designers don't really have much time to work on them. It's really amazing when you consider you could spend a year on the software alone, with a sizeable team.

Their failures are probably not easily reversible if at the hardware level. They probably make revs to their design for later production runs. But a lemon is pretty much a lemon. It's amazing how few there are floating out there in the market.

Michael..

You are thinking in the rite direction..

Software development; writing, debugging, validation and final certification take up alot of time. Thats why the software is written in modules, and certain modules are reused from 1 generation to the next such as I/O switching, tuners and amplifiers. The big challenge is when the technology required to meet the market features takes a big step forward such as HDMI 1.2 > 1.3. Also for the later HD codecs and new video formats require significant software development time. And if they change the external ID front panel tooling, this can go out further. Thats another reason, most brands try to get 2 or 3 generations from the tooling.

Basically the development timeline for a pricepoint AVR (SRP $1499), this can extend out to 14-15 months. Also once the software is up & running, getting the multiple agency compliance approvals such as Audyssey, Dolby, DTS, FCC, UL, CSA, HDMI/HDCP, USB & DLNA can take up to 6 months.

Just my $0.02..

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
I realize you know a lot, but one thing you don't have to explain to me is software development. Been doing it for longer than many people on here have been alive
Sometimes it's shocking how little code gets reused, but I am sure the audio/video companies are not that dumb - that can't afford to not reuse as much as possible

1 - 19 of 19 Posts