AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody used a modern Marantz SR receiver to power a pair of Boston Acoustics A400's? Anything from any of the SR5000/7000/8000 or SR19/18U/EX or 14EX or the 9200/9300 or 9600? Most of these receivers are rated for 8 ohms and specify 6 or 8 ohm speakers, but, they all have fairly robust power amp sections compared to most other receivers, and of course, the higher up and more powerful, you'd think they would be more and more competent with 4 ohm loads etc, but they aren't officially described as being compatible with 4 ohm speakers. I am not intending on using all 5, 6 or 7 channels with other speakers while using the 4 ohm A400's. I will only use the A400's in stereo. If I get a couple of smaller Boston A40 or A60's for surround speakers, I would run the A400's from separate external amps.

I have an SR9600 I will use to test the A400's for now, but I was wondering if I picked up an SR7000 would it be ok? Or perhaps an SR5000? I may use external amps like MA500 or MA700's but for now, the room isn't huge, so receiver alone will be used. At least one person at HTF has mentioned that they have used an SR5000 with 4 ohm bookshelf speakers, but the BA A400's are fairly large. The BA A400's have a 4 ohm minimum.

thanks in advance for any feedback,

·
Registered
811 Posts
I have an SR6300 in the bedroom but I'm using an old Adcom 555 to power Theil SCS2s (4 ohm - 3 minimum). The SR6300 is driving the Thiel SCS2 I use for the center. The room is about average size. I did drive them with an old Sony 444ES (which had a switch on the back for 4 ohms) for several years.

·
Registered
538 Posts
All Marantz Receivers will drive 4 ohm speakers! They dont advertise it, but I have called marantz and verified that they will!

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
youre in the clear--it will let you know if it ends up in protect mode frequently but esp for 2 ch use i think you;re more than covered. Id also love to hear what you think of the sound--i used to have a BA setup that I was very fond of for many years.

·
Premium Member
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, fair enough. I will report back with my listening results. My experience with Boston Acoustics was with the A70 series II. Loved that speaker but I sort of under-powered it for a while. I'm going to try the A400's tomorrow (later today?). I thought they were 88 db/1watt/1m but the cabinets actually say 90db/1watt/1m. I think the A400's I picked up are certainly not the earliest generation, at least they don't look it. I may also be trying a pair of A150's too. Probably use the SR9600 to test them out, then maybe an SR7000 temporarily, and finally possibly a 14EX.

·
Premium Member
7,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So far, so good. At first I used them normally, but then I realized my SR9600 allows bi-amping. Tried that. I find that A400's don't have the same bass as my PSB Image T65 towers. There is some good tight deep low bass, in fact, very low bass, but....there is a sort of a lacking in the bass. I tried boosting the bass +2 dB and knocking back the treble -1 dB (since stereo on the SR9600 isn't much different than Source Direct). They definitely sound nice. I bet a bit of simple EQ'ing or a loudness circuit would be all I'd need. They are nice. Next I'll try the A150's. I didn't realize how much smaller they are than the A400's. I think I want to try the A200's next.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I had a question that is in the same vein as this, so I hope others don't mind me bringing it up.

I've had a pair of Boston A400 for about 15 years now, and I've always been worried about the receiver, because of the 4 ohm issue. In the past I've had them hooked up to Harman Kardon AVR-65 and after that the AVR-635 (I felt alot more comfortable with this one), and currently with the AVR-745. (Yes, I've been very loyal to the HK sound.) It just seems these days that none of the receiver manufactures put specs in on 4 ohms, so I'm curious what people out there are doing.

I would like to know what other A400 owners are using? (Jeez, after all these years there can't be that many, so this may be a short thread.) It would be great if you could post the receiver model you're using and any insights you may have about it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a pair of A400s for probably 10 years now.

I am powering them with a Sony DA30ES and it hasnt seen 50% volume with the A400s. And I listen to metal.....very loudly.

Also, I have a pair of A70 Series II for rears in 5.1 on the same amp.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts