AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Sony SAT HD 200 Satellite receiver and I'm going to add the Denon 5900 DVD player when they finally start shipping them.

My question is what output should I put each device at? I will be using the DVI output with both devices running through a Geffen switcher. Or does it really matter?

I have a Marantz S-3 Projector.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry about that spelling error in the Post. I'm just learning to write and device is pretty big word.

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,696 Posts
Steven,

Try a bunch...

You might be limited due to the handshake, but some people like the scaling in the PJ, and prefer the output of the DVD to be 480p, others like the DVD scaling and set the player at 720p. It is one or the other though. You do not want 1080i from the player, as that would result in double scaling.

As far as the set top box goes, I'm not familiar with the Sony's settings, but in general, if you can get native output (1080i from 1080i broadcasts, 480p from others), you will probably like that the best. Even better though would be 1080i via DVI for HD, and 480i via either component or Y/C for SD. The reason is that I can almost guarantee that the deinterlacing in the PJ will blow the doors off of the deinterlacing in the sat box. And deinterlacing artifacts are by far the most annoying of all the digital gremlins (to me anyway... Satellite is pretty horrible any way you slice it and low bitrate MPEG artifacting is going to be visible all the time anyway-- you just gotta learn to live with it) and are way more important than the ability to bypass the DAC and ADC that DVI connections offers.

The bottom line: Trust your eyes. The S3 is a reference device and doesn't gloss over problems. If something seems wrong, it most likely is. You will probably find the solution that works best for you.

Dan

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much Dan for the replies. I will take your advise and see what looks best.

Steve

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.