AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just hooked up my Marantz VP-12S2 to a HDTV signal through component cables from a CableVision HDTV tuner box and the HDTV images have a jagged white line running along the top. The white jagged lines along the top are present during ABC,CBS, and PBS HDTV viewing. HBO HDTV looks fine. I tried different cables and the lines are still there. The lines are not there during DVD and DTV viewing but appear during ABC,CBS,PBS HDTV viewing.

Does anybody else have this problem? Is my unit defective? Any feedback would be appreciated. Please Help?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Those are called Vertical Interval Time-Code. Broadcasters use the top couple of video lines for Editing , Close-Captioning and Time-code Reference. They are normal. Unfortunately, The S2 doesn't have a croping function, you will see those. Check your HD source and see if there's a menu to crop them out there.

Are you using Component or RGB into the S2? FYI: RGB looks better than Component for HD sources.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I didn't know the lines are normal. Seems a little odd.

I'm using component cables running from my CableVision HDTV cable box output.

I'm aware that RGB and DVI-D are better for HDTV. My cable box does not have RGB or DVI-D outputs. Does CableVision supply a Box with DVI-D and RGB outputs?

Is there a way of converting the component output to DVI-D or RGB ? Would this be redundant ?

What do I need or what can I do to get a DVI-D or RGB signal to the projector ?

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
You see the VITC lines because the projector displays all the signal. Most TV's and RPTV's don't show the entire signal and cut off the last few video lines.

Jay,

Have you tried the Key Digital? I'm not sure the quality is as good as some of the others. Like the Extron CVC-200

and the AVScience CVT-100

I've heard good things about these. If you're after the best HD image quality, I think these would be better.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks again. Do you recomend this conversion from Component to RGB? Is it that much better? Also why the huge price differences in converters? Are the cheaper converters a waste of money?

Isn't, DVI-D better than RGB? How can I hook up a DVI-D connection? Is there something I could buy to make DVI-D possible?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision
Jay,

Have you tried the Key Digital? I'm not sure the quality is as good as some of the others. Like the Extron CVC-200

and the AVScience CVT-100

I've heard good things about these. If you're after the best HD image quality, I think these would be better.
I should hope so considering the substantial cost difference. I don't have experience with this particular model, but I have used their RGB > component transcoder with very good results. I also have the Flash Matrix switcher and you'd never know the signal was running through it. Clear as day.

Luidog, I think you want to use a transcoder. The Marantz component inputs soften HD signals (or they're "optimized" for SD, depending on whom you ask), while the RGB and DVI ports allow passage of the full signal. Whether the Key Digital provides image quality equal to the more expensive units Ernie suggested isn't something I can answer.

The only way to convert component video to DVI is with a scaler. These are much more expensive than a simple transcoder because they do a lot more than what a transcoder does. And seeing as you have an analog HD source (component video), I don't think converting it to DVI with a scaler is going to provide you with any meaningful improvement.

I say you try the Key Digital given its low price (don't be fooled, they make good stuff), and if you're not happy with it you can probably sell it in the classifieds for close to what you paid for it and buy a more expensive one.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, the info has been really helpful. I think I'll go with the transcoder.

I'm interested in the Flash Matrix Switcher. What does it do? Does it replace the Keystone transcoder? I do have four other component hook ups and was looking for a component switcher any suggestions?

I understand know that my HDTV signal is a component analog signal and DVI-D is useless. When and how is DVI-D used ? How can you get digital source HDTV signal? Are there different options?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have an Extron Component switcher that auto switches. Works Great! I think it the SW-6 Model, or something like that.

As far as the white lines, I have those sometimes on component as well as RGB. Go into your controls menu and increase vertical size of the image a little as well as horizontal (to keep proper aspect ratio).

As for the transcoder, I have the Key Digital, and have had mixed results when throwing multiple sources to it. WHat I did was connected the transcoder to the output of my component switcher, so the s2 would use the RGB input for everything. Problem was, the picture would never sync up perfectly when switching to a different component. (XBOX, DVD Player OTA STB, or the Cable HD box). I had to manually readjust picture size, and auto adjust to the image. While I could make the image look great with some adjustments. It wasnt Plug and play. Not good for the family.

So I ended up leaving just my Cable HD box only through the transcoder, adjusted it, as well as the projector for 1080i (Just Once) and the picture is fabulous. The rest of my stuff goes through the switcher and into the S2 via component.

Hope this helps.

MovieMan

·
Premium Member
3,215 Posts
Quote:
As far as the white lines, I have those sometimes on component as well as RGB. Go into your controls menu and increase vertical size of the image a little as well as horizontal (to keep proper aspect ratio).
What menu are you speaking of? I can't find any way to fine-adjust the image size on the S2?

You can adjust the image left/right/up/down, but crop?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by santellavision
What menu are you speaking of? I can't find any way to fine-adjust the image size on the S2?

You can adjust the image left/right/up/down, but crop?
Sorry its taken so long to reply, been away for a short while.

I think under "display" where you have image shift, you also have control to increase the size of the picture. You can enlarge the image vertically to rid/mask the edges, basically giving you some overscan. When you do this, increase the same amount horizontally as well to keep the aspect ratio. Sure you may loose a pixel or two on the edges, but the white lines will be gone as well.

MovieMan

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.