Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Attention Marantz S2 owners...

We want to see what your S2 can do head to head against the InFocus 7200. Are you up for the challenge? :)

There is a lot of talk (and hype) about how the S2 and 7200 are among the tops in their cateogry. Many are curious to know just how these machines stack up, and Mark Haflich and I are taking the initiative to find out for sure (at least in our not so humble opinions :).

Of course we will post a *detailed* review of the findings here in the forum following the shootout. We will also add comments to compare the HT300+ as well, which was demoed in the same room with the same sources and screen, etc, that we'll be using for this shootout.

The shootout will be held in the DC area (in Kensington, MD specifically), tenatively scheduled for the weekend of January 4th or 18th, or around there.

BUT - first things first - we need a S2 for the shootout! Mark will be kind enough to supply the 7200 and demo room, which consits of a 108" diag Firehawk with both DVD and HD sources being used in the tests.

If you have an S2 you can bring by or otherwise supply for a few hours for the shootout of the year, please post so here or PM me if you prefer.

We will be comparing these pjs in just about every category we can think of - blacks, CR, colors, overall PQ, brightness, noise, user menus, etc, etc.

If you have any specific requests for things you'd like us to be sure to compare for you (beyond the obvious things) please post so here.

This is going to be one exciting shootout!

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
If you are game, I could bring a HT1000 and I may also have a vertical compression, wide screen lens by that time.

I have seen the S2 and I love it. I would like to see the HT1000 and the 7200 in a head to head with the S2.

RJ

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Actually, it is a 110" diag. Date is not certain yet. Actually, New Years day may even work. We have a HT1000 and Dwin TV2 on hand and will have a 7200. I am concerned that too many machines will complicate things too much. Things really need to be set up well and well calibrated. Hard to do with more than two machines in one day.

·
Registered
7,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mark haflich
Actually, it is a 110" diag. Date is not certain yet. Actually, New Years day may even work. We have a HT1000 and Dwin TV2 on hand and will have a 7200. I am concerned that too many machines will complicate things too much. Things really need to be set up well and well calibrated. Hard to do with more than two machines in one day.
I understand your point Mark.

I you have room for a visitor during the S2/7200 comparison session, please drop me a PM.

Thanks

RJ

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have seen the Infocus 7200 and Marantz S2 in a Swedish projector weekend. But! The 7200 was an early demoex, so I don't think it was a fair comparison. Also the S2 was setup in a perfect condition (dark showroom with black walls).

Anyway, my impression is that the Infocus was brighter, but did not have as good blacks as the S2. The Infocus also showed some other problems (artifacting, noise) that we concurred to be early demoex problems so I don't want to put any weight at all on those sightings before I see a production ex. I still think the the first conclusion about brightness/blacks is valid.

I will go back there later on, the storeowner said that they would setup the 7200 and S2 in the same room when they get the 7200 (already has S2).

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mark - unfortunately I'm not available New Year's day and can't change my plans.

Any weekend in January should be good, except for the 11th due to CEDIA. That's why I'm proposing the 4th or 18th. We can go further into January if need be. Of couse this will also depend on the schedule of our yet-to-be-determined S2 participant!

·
Registered
6,463 Posts
Wow...a PJ shoot out in *my* neck of the woods!

Are you opening the doors to some avid HT locals or trying to keep the crowd small?

dave :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
These are the two pjs I'm considering. I saw the S2 at a HT store yesterday and while watching Video Essentials Mantage of Images, I noticed stair stepping (is that the same as jaggies) during zoom ins and outs. Is this normal for DLP or a setup problem?

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,198 Posts
jeh: I notice you're in Orange County (I live in Orange and work in Irvine). Where did you see the S2? Do you know if they had the DVD player connected via component video or s-video? Can you give more specifics of what they demoed (DVD only? HDTV?).

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I'm with David Boulet on this one - finally a shootout in the DC/MD area! If you're open to visitors, I'd love to attend once a date is set. Please let me know.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I think a Saturday will work best for everyone. Say from about 6 to 11PM. BUT WE NEED TO GET OUR MITS ON AN S2. I will have a 7200 by this Weds or Thurs.

The local dealer for Marantz (Myer Emco) from what customers tell me doesn't plan on putting an S2 on display. Evidently they prefer to display Runco instead. I do not know, that is just what customers tell me. If somebody even at a great distance wants to come to DC for a weekend, we have a real nice guestroom in our contemporary home on a 13 acre lake in the country. Today it is frozen. Many AVS members have been out to my place for various shootouts. Its a very nice place to visit and even a greater place to live. My wife and I really enjoy sharing it with others.

Unfortunately this shootout will be at a commercial facilty because my HT room at home is under reconstruction (converting it from 5 seats to 14). And yes children in my HT I will still be using my highly modified 9 inch CRT (a 9500LC) fed by a new Leeza or Rock Pro shining on a 4 way masked 54 x 96 Studeotec by Stewert. No bulb projectors for me yet.

Lovingdvd. It isn't Cedia in January, its the CES. Jan 4 and the 11th won't work. My wife gets me on the night of the 4th because I am leaving her for Vegas from the 7th to the 13th.

·
Registered
13,049 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Lovingdvd. It isn't Cedia in January, its the CES. Jan 4 and the 11th won't work. My wife gets me on the night of the 4th because I am leaving her for Vegas from the 7th to the 13th.
Right, meant to type CES not CEDIA.

That's fine. That leaves January 18th as the next possible date, or any other Saturday night following that. Hopefully not into Feb though as I know your schedule will be even busier in Feb. Plus I don't think I can wait that long! :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
WynsWrld98: I live in Laguna Hills and saw the S2 at Atlantic Stereo on 17th st in Costa Mesa. The DVD player was hooked up with component cables and the demo was Mantage of Images and Moulan Rouge, both of which I brought. We also looked at HD Net in high def. The dealer said the pj was tuned with Video Essentials. The pj was about 2 feet above the top of the 100" Studiotek screen so was using some keystoning. The picture seemed a little dim and, as I said earlier, I saw stairstepping during zooms in or out. I didn't notice this on Moulan Rouge dance numbers, but the picture seemed slightly dim so lacked the excitement I'm used to. My screen is a 92" Firehawk so it might look brighter, but I thing the two screens have about the same gain. Also, since my screen is smaller, the pixel size should be smaller creating less of a stairstep effect.

By the way, I'm waiting to see the 7200 at Multi-Television Services in Anaheim. They tell me it should arrive any day and they will put up a demo as soon as they get it.

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,198 Posts
jeh: thanks for the tip on Atlantic Stereo. If you can e-mail me after you see the 7200 I'd really appreciate it. [email protected] . Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Mark,

Just a quick follow-up question to your last post: are visitors welcome at the shootout?

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
A limited number of visitors may be possible. If my HT was finished we could do it in my house with up to 14 seated in the HT. In the store, room seating limits things to about 4 with projectors floor and ceiling mounted. We still do not have an S2. I guess that machine is just not selling to AVS members in the DC area.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Quote:
We still do not have an S2. I guess that machine is just not selling to AVS members in the DC area.
Hmm. I'm not reading many posts on it either. I anticipated more information by now. I wonder if there's a problem or if it's just paranoia kicking in...

·
Banned
1,400 Posts
Nothing to write about. I have an S2, it does not flicker and will not due to improved circuitry. The black levels are much improved and everything else has been discussed ad nauseum regarding the S1's. Essentially an improved S1 with better contrast, no flicker and access to the F chips thru the menu. No need for paranoia, arguably the best DLP available today at any price. :)

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I think the lack of S2 around here has nothing to do with the machine's quality. We still need to find one to do a shootout here. Perhaps Eric and friends could do one in NYC given that the 7200 should be readily available in various AVS member's hands now or shortly.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Mark and Eric,

I'm sure it doesn't have to do with quality. The S1 I had was phenomenal, to say the least. There was, however, a lot of buzz when the S1 was released and I just haven't seen the same buzz upon the release of the S2.

I am a bit paranoid that more hasn't been said about the S2 (good or bad) because I'm currently on the hunt for one and would not want to make the wrong decision. I'm a little worried about the increased talk regarding the rainbow effect with the new HD2's and would like a little more information from current owners of any HD2-chipped projectors to speak out regarding this issue before I finally decide to make my purchase. Personally, I didn't see any rainbows on the S1 and would hate to find out that the S2 would introduce that problem into my viewing experience because of an *improved* DMD.

I'm being a little more cautious this time around because I don't plan on changing projectors after this purchase until something significant comes down the assembly lines. By the way, the only reason why I sold my S1 in the first place is because I had purchased it via the Japanese connection and I wanted to make sure that this time around I was fully protected under Marantz's authorized U.S. warranty. I've read far too many posts from Marantz owners who purchased gray market projectors that experienced negative warranty issues and I just didn't want to add my name to that list.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.