AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an SR-18ex that has stopped powering up. The last month has been hell on this receiver. my wife and nephew were trying to watch cars through the 360 hooked up with component and optical. The sound stopped working, ok no big deal it has to be that the digital input changed some how right? wrong I tried everything and never got the sound to come back through the optical inputs. So i hook the 360 direct to tv via HDMI. well then we move accross town and when bro in law and me go to set up the living room we come to find that the receiver wont turn on AT ALL! there is no standby light or anything. if I press the power button pretty firmly I can hear a slight buzzing coming from the power supply. I had a few problems before like loss of memory if turned off (not put in stand by) and it has been tricky to turn it back on a few times but it always had a red indicator light for stand by. Any suggestions on what might cause this? I REALLY love this receiver as the ound is incredible even with crappy speakers and even better with good speakers. I took the case off and the front plate off and dusted and checked tight connections. also the unswitched outlet on the back works but the switched does not.

How much would labor run on an issue like this? Typically?

·
Premium Member
7,435 Posts
Although it can be scary to have items like this repaired, it never hurts to get an estimate. See if there is a certified Marantz service centre in your area and ask about a free or low cost estimate. It could be anything, and it could be expensive, but don't panic yet. Receivers and amps can sometimes be fixed without losing an arm and a leg. The SR18EX is a great sounding beast, so it's certainly worth something to have it fixed. Hopefully it's just a low voltage output transistor or cap or other simple part in the power supply or pre-amp section. Get an estimate somewhere you can trust. Start by looking for Marantz service centers in your area. Good luck.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Depending on where you live, local Marantz authorized service can be very dodgy (the one in the SF Bay Area is unexpectedly crappy). On the other hand, a local CE repair shop in any number of towns can often quickly and economically fix routine problems.

This is a major Marantz service center in the US: http://www.servicewidetech.com/

I had them successfully repair an older receiver some years ago. The estimate will not be free, and shipping that beast will probably set you back $60-70 one way. But if an authorized Marantz facility is called for, they're at least reliable.

Did you check fuses?

I'd recommend finding a local guy for this older, less-complex model.

·
Premium Member
7,435 Posts
I second the local guy advice. While it's good to check out authorized Marantz dealers, local repair places are good too. In fact, I took my Mirage BPS400 to a place that was listed as an authorized Mirage repair shop and it was pretty much a regular electronics repair shop. They fixed my sub for a reasonable cost.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Hello,

I used to have a SR-19EX and I still think the Marantz Reference Series AVR's of that vintage, (SR-19, SR18, SR19EX, SR-18EX, SR-14EX) are some of the most attractive AVR's ever made. I agree that it is worth taking your Marantz to a local Repair Shop.

Cheers,

AD

·
Registered
75 Posts
I know this is a older post . But I also own a Marantz SR-18EX too . My power supply was bad and had bad solder joints on it . It was doing the same thing and would not power on . They also replaced my memory cap on the front panel board also .But thats not the only thing that would or can go wrong with it . Im presently having a problem powering her on from stand-by , I press the botton on the remote to repoer her back on while she was in stand-by and she wont come out of it . That can still be a problem with the power supply . The first time I had her fixed she cost me 250.00 for it to be repair by a service center for marantz . I would not take her to someone else . I had that problem with a man from the audio shop in sturivent , wi . That man said he could fix it but took over two months and never did anything to it . So yes take it to marantz , I had her back in two day and fixed . Also this is one of the best sounding receivers I ever owned , better that denon 2803 and pioneer vsx-37 , vvsx3900 the older one from the 1980's .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts