AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any thoughts on this. I have a Marantz SR/7500 reciever. It's been a great reciever but recently when I watch a dvd or even watch a recorded program from my DVR it seems to go into "Protect" mode and the sound cuts out. I think it's when I turn the volume up a little but earlier today I didn't have my system turned up loud at all and the reciever said "Protect". I havn't unplugged the unit yet or tried a reset but I guess that would be my next step. My manual say's very little about "Protect" except that if "Protect" appears on the unit's display and the standby indicator starts flashing there is a problem in the unit or connection. I havn't noticed any flashing but it does go into standby but seems to kick back on as I lower the volume. If I turn the reciever off and then back on I have sound again also. I'm not noticing it going into "Protect mode when I play a music cd. Seems to do it with HD 5.1 content. My audio connections are all optical but I don't think it's handshake issue. Need help.

I'm going to do a few more tests to see if I can add anything to this post. If anyone has any advice on this I'm all ears.

Thx.

·
Registered
15,090 Posts
Check the speaker cables from end to end.

Going into protect mode usually is caused by shorts in the speaker cables. Strands of the +/- cables might be intermittently coming into contact with one another at the connectors or a pet or rodent might have chewed on the cables.

Another cause is trying to drive speakers which have a lower impedance than the receiver's amplifier section is designed to drive. It might work OK at a low sound level, but turning up the volume will make the receiver to go into protect mode. This can be compensated for by using appropriate external amplifiers.

Or, of course, the receiver's amp section might simply be failing, perhaps due to overheating for too long.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. I'll check all my speaker connections to make sure no little wires are touching and causing the short. I have pulled my system out away from the wall quite a few times lately and there's always a chance that wires could be touching but I highly doubt it.

Also these are the same B & W front speakers, rears & sub that I have been using since I purchased this Marantz reciever and it's never done this "Protect" in the past.

It seems like it's really related to volume control on just about everything I play. Turn up the volume just a little too loud and it clips off.

I'm gonna get behind there when I get a day off and look at all my connections. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with optical audio cables that I recently switched to. These things have causes other handshake problems with sound being delated. Just a pain trying to figure this out. THx.

·
The Village Idiot
9,738 Posts
I would start by disconnecting all cables except the speakers and radio antenna and try that. If it shuts off disconnect one speaker at a time. Nip and strip the speaker wires to expose clean wire. Copper will interact with skin oils and other contaminates that lessen it's ability to conduct the signal properly. If the speakers don't trip the thermal protect connect one cable at a time back up and try it again.

I doubt an optical cable can cause the AVR to go into thermal protection but you can test this theory out by using analog cables to your AVR and give it a go.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice. I'll do exactly what you said and report back in a few days if I've solved the "Protect" problem. I really don't think it's a problem with the Marantz reciever. Probably a connection or a few little wires touching. I'll get to the bottom of it and report back. Thx.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts