AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an oppurtunity to buy a used Marantz SR-8000 that was originally purchased in the year 2000. The seller is asking 250 for it. Can anyone give me any advice regarding whether or not it's worth picking up a 6 year old receiver. Should I save my money and buy a new one? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
This is timely as I have the same question about purchasing a used SR-7000. Anyone?

Thanks,

Marshall

·
Registered
457 Posts
i'd say go for it if you don't care about hdmi inputs/outputs and if you are using a traditional 5.1 setup and don't care about 7.1 i had a marantz 8000 and it had superb sound quality,

·
Registered
606 Posts
I used to own an SR7000. They have excellent sound quality when used in Source Direct mode, but note that SD disables the sub out. The other main limitations are the lack of Component/HDMI video and no Prologic II. Still, I'd probably get an SR8000 over just about anything else at that price!

Chris

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Thanks for the tips. Sd completely disables sub out, or limits adjustability? How would you describe the SQ when used in mode that enables sub out?

Any other models recomended for 5.1 besides the 7000? 5.1, no hdmi needed... Power not a biggie as this would need to generally kept at a low level. The availaibilty seems a little mind boggling... 4000, 4600, 5000, etc.

I'd rather buy used and hopefully get better sound quality than buy a new (entry level) pioneer, HK, onkyo, etc.

Thanks!

Marshall

Fletch, thanks for the thread. Sorry for the hijack.

Thanks,

Marshall

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.