AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past few months I've begun to notice some occasional annoying distortion with my nearly 3 year old Marantz SR5003. Some info on my setup:

- Sources include Sci Atl cable box, Sylvania Blu Ray, and Xbox 360, all connected via HDMI. I have noticed distortion while watching cable and Blu Rays.

-Speakers are 80's Vandersteen 2Cs. I don't believe the problem is speaker related, because I hear the distortion with headphones as well.

-The distortion occurs most often during dialogue peaks. Of course it could be happening during other times without me noticing. It is not constant (ie there is not always distortion even when people are yelling) but it is consistent (ie if I loop a segment with distortion, it occurs the same place and sounds the same every time). The volume control has no effect on the amount of distortion.

To me this sounds like something might be going bad in the preamp, but I thought I'd see if anyone else has had a similar issue. Is there some sort of software or test audio I could use to try to isolate the issue? My laptop has HDMI out so I could test it that way. Unfortunately there is no Marantz service center in my state, but I could obviously send it out. Any help is appreciated. Thanks for looking!

·
Premium Member
7,716 Posts
Do you get the distortion from non-HDMI connected devices? Try analog or optical/coaxial connections to determine if it is an HDMI specific issue (i.e. the HDMI board in the receiver).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts