AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, i've been tossing around the idea now for a while of picking up an XPA-5 amp to drive my setup, but after reading the "unoffical do i need an amp" thread, i have some other ideas i wanted to run by someone.

My Setup is in my sig, but consists of Klipsch RF-62 FL/FR, RC-62 C, and Energy C-100's SL/SR. The Klipsch are rated at 150w max power handling, the Energy at 110w.

For a little backstory, according to hometheatermag.com, my receiver will produce 103w at 0.1% distortion, driving 5 channels. Driving 2 channels it will do about 153w at 0.1% distortion ( http://www.hometheatermag.com/receiv...er/index3.html ).

Originally what i was going to do with just buy an XPA-5 and call it a day. But after reading the thread, there was some people who stated using a XPA-3 for their fronts, and using the receiver for their rears was working out well.

Effectively this would give me 200w into my 150w F/L/C, and ~150w into my SL/SR via my receiver. I'm curious what you guys think.

My main concern(s) are:

A. Driving 200w into the speakers rated at 150w. (does this qualify as overhead, or am i risking damage to the speakers)

B. Would i see a substantial benefit from the extra power, or is my receiver, which is producing ~100w of solid, clean power, probably sufficient?

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
Your front sound stage is EXTREMELY efficient. You should be able to cleanly drive them well beyond hearing-damage levels with your current AVR. I can't imagine external amplification being of any benefit unless you're in a HUGE space (open floor plan, 2-story ceilings, or outdoors).

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Hopkins /forum/post/16991739

Your front sound stage is EXTREMELY efficient. You should be able to cleanly drive them well beyond hearing-damage levels with your current AVR. I can't imagine external amplification being of any benefit unless you're in a HUGE space (open floor plan, 2-story ceilings, or outdoors).

I actually am in a very open area. I rent a house with a couple roomies. The living room has vaulted ceilings, about 20' at the highest point and ~16' at the lowest. The back right side also is open to the kitchen and dining room. I'd draw a picture but i have no way of uploading.

Basically its about a 14x18' area with varying celing heigh from 16-20' ceilings. The back right 1/3 of what could be called the right hand wall opens to the dining area and kitchen. Its really hard to explain, but the gist of it is thats its a very large open space, both vertically and horizontally.

·
Banned
374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrimnir /forum/post/16991778

I actually am in a very open area. I rent a house with a couple roomies. The living room has vaulted ceilings, about 20' at the highest point and ~16' at the lowest. The back right side also is open to the kitchen and dining room. I'd draw a picture but i have no way of uploading.

Basically its about a 14x18' area with varying celing heigh from 16-20' ceilings. The back right 1/3 of what could be called the right hand wall opens to the dining area and kitchen. Its really hard to explain, but the gist of it is thats its a very large open space, both vertically and horizontally.

I would go out and buy a SPL/db meter to see what kind of levels you are running with those speakers first.

·
Registered
5,546 Posts
I agree... with speakers THAT effecient, I can't imagine amplification being your system's limiting factor or bottleneck. I'd consider adding a second A2-300 since bass impact with a single sub would be lacking in an area that large. Beyond that, you might also want to consider matching Klipsch surrounds (RB-10, RB-51, RS-10, RS-42), not because your C-100s are lacking, but because the Klipsch sound is tough for anything else to match... normally I would say matching surrounds to your fronts isn't all that important, but with the distinct Klipsch sound up front, I'd want to match it in the rear too.

I'd say those two changes would make more noticeable impact in the sound of your system. Beyond that, any of a dozen other changes in electronics or accessories could make things more usable or more enjoyable day-to-day. External amplification should probably be pretty low on your list of priorities.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.