AVS Forum banner

2141 - 2160 of 2188 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I said "Master Volume" level for that source, not the setting which apparently doesn't apply to that input.
I think you've lost me but, how would I change said 'Master Volume' for that source?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Poor audio from LG OLED to Marantz AVR using ARC

Couldn't find this exact situation doing a search, so sorry if this has already been discussed (if so please point me to the thread).

Recently purchased a new 2017 LG OLED 65B7 (Costco version). It's used as a "monitor" in my set-up: all my sources are plugged into a Marantz SR5006 AVR, and I have a single HDMI cable running from the AVR TV output to the HDMI 2 (ARC) input of the LG. Since my receiver can't handle 4k, I'm using the Netflix and Amazon apps on the TV for 4k content, which means that I rely on the ARC to send 5.1 audio to the receiver.

Here's the problem: the 5.1 audio from Netflix and Amazon comes through as an unintelligible, staccato, but 2.0 audio sounds fine. This problem seems different than other threads I've found where ARC either works or doesn't; in my case I get 5.1 sound but it's broken.

So it seems that I have the set-up correct for ARC (sound comes through the AVR), but for some reason the 5.1 specifically isn't working properly. I've tried various combinations of setting on the TV and AVR, and have tried various HDMI cables (amazon basics HDMI 1.4 that are supposed to support 4K and ARC) with no success. I'm assuming that switching to an optical output from the TV wouldn't solve the problem since the HDMI cable is sending data (but tell me if this is a bad assumption). So I'm trying to figure out if it's the TV or the receiver. Any suggestions for troubleshooting this?

·
Premium Member
90,341 Posts
Couldn't find this exact situation doing a search, so sorry if this has already been discussed (if so please point me to the thread).

Recently purchased a new 2017 LG OLED 65B7 (Costco version). It's used as a "monitor" in my set-up: all my sources are plugged into a Marantz SR5006 AVR, and I have a single HDMI cable running from the AVR TV output to the HDMI 2 (ARC) input of the LG. Since my receiver can't handle 4k, I'm using the Netflix and Amazon apps on the TV for 4k content, which means that I rely on the ARC to send 5.1 audio to the receiver.

Here's the problem: the 5.1 audio from Netflix and Amazon comes through as an unintelligible, staccato, but 2.0 audio sounds fine. This problem seems different than other threads I've found where ARC either works or doesn't; in my case I get 5.1 sound but it's broken.

So it seems that I have the set-up correct for ARC (sound comes through the AVR), but for some reason the 5.1 specifically isn't working properly. I've tried various combinations of setting on the TV and AVR, and have tried various HDMI cables (amazon basics HDMI 1.4 that are supposed to support 4K and ARC) with no success. I'm assuming that switching to an optical output from the TV wouldn't solve the problem since the HDMI cable is sending data (but tell me if this is a bad assumption). So I'm trying to figure out if it's the TV or the receiver. Any suggestions for troubleshooting this?
1. Was multi channel audio over ARC working on the predecessor TV?
2. Using an optical cable would indeed be an option as when sending audio over the optical cable there is nothing passing over the HDMI cable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello All,

I have a weird problem with my SR6006.

My Center Channel stops working. Resetting does not help.

However below helps:
- Unscrew all the speaker cables,
- Then open the marantz top and close it back,
- Screw all speaker cable back.

Works for few days and then again same problem. Is there a loose speaker terminal from inside?

I fear sending to technician. They might just come up with another problem.

·
Premium Member
90,341 Posts
Hello All,

I have a weird problem with my SR6006.

My Center Channel stops working. Resetting does not help.

However below helps:
- Unscrew all the speaker cables,
- Then open the marantz top and close it back,
- Screw all speaker cable back.

Works for few days and then again same problem. Is there a loose speaker terminal from inside?

I fear sending to technician. They might just come up with another problem.
When the issue presents again, swap the C and FL speaker to confirm it's the speaker post and not the speaker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
When the issue presents again, swap the C and FL speaker to confirm it's the speaker post and not the speaker.
Thanks for the Input.

I had tried that in the past. Center Speaker working fine when connected to FL or FR.
Issues is persistent with Center Speaker Terminal i guess.
I had similar issues with FR and Subwoofer in the past. However, these are working fine now for a long time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've had my SR6006 since 2012 and it has been performing flawlessly until the other day. I lost the center channel and rear surrounds.... only speakers that were playing were my L and R fronts. Also, the only sound mode that worked was "Stereo" - all others sounded garbled, etc..... I tried re-running set up, then based on reviewing posts here, did a soft reset, then a hard microprocessor reset, then hard reset 5 times... nothing worked. As I was trying all of these things I realized that the top of the unit felt very hot.... and also realized I left it on for several days.... the unit is in a cabinet that is not well vented.... it does have 6" plus of clearance all around the unit.... anyway, I decided to unplug the unit and let it sit/cool overnight. This morning, it worked fine - no issues at all - all speakers performing well. I post this here to potential help some others who have had mysterious intermittent problems.... I assume this unit has self-preservation circuitry that causes it to shut some things down if it gets too hot - at least it seems that is what mine did.

My options are to relocate the received to the outside top of the cabinet where my turntable is now... and move my turntable inside the cabinet. Or, I could try to vent the cabinet better by adding holes, fan etc.... anyone have thoughts on this? I'd appreciate it --- thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I've had my SR6006 since 2012 and it has been performing flawlessly until the other day. I lost the center channel and rear surrounds.... only speakers that were playing were my L and R fronts. Also, the only sound mode that worked was "Stereo" - all others sounded garbled, etc..... I tried re-running set up, then based on reviewing posts here, did a soft reset, then a hard microprocessor reset, then hard reset 5 times... nothing worked. As I was trying all of these things I realized that the top of the unit felt very hot.... and also realized I left it on for several days.... the unit is in a cabinet that is not well vented.... it does have 6" plus of clearance all around the unit.... anyway, I decided to unplug the unit and let it sit/cool overnight. This morning, it worked fine - no issues at all - all speakers performing well. I post this here to potential help some others who have had mysterious intermittent problems.... I assume this unit has self-preservation circuitry that causes it to shut some things down if it gets too hot - at least it seems that is what mine did.

My options are to relocate the received to the outside top of the cabinet where my turntable is now... and move my turntable inside the cabinet. Or, I could try to vent the cabinet better by adding holes, fan etc.... anyone have thoughts on this? I'd appreciate it --- thanks.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have an open Sanus rack so circulation is not a problem here. However my brother had a heating problem with his gear in a closed cabinet. There are more expensive solutions, but I installed this with excellent results.
https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-...-2&keywords=cooling+fans+audio+racks+cabinets

·
Premium Member
90,341 Posts

Consider using an AC Infinity Aircom T8/T9/T10 whichever is more appropriate in your cabinet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Does anyone know on a SR6006 if you can play audio from one source while seeing video from another?
use case: dad is browing pay per view movies on DVR, and i want music to keep playing from media server lol.
is it a dream?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Consider using an AC Infinity Aircom T8/T9/T10 whichever is more appropriate in your cabinet.
I think I jumped for joy prematurely. Today, my received exhibited the same condition... only sound from L R fronts and subwoofer. I turned it on and all channels were performing well. After about 20 mins it seemed to overheat again and I lost all sound except L R Fronts and sub. So, once again I unplugged, put a fan on it, got it to cool down, then did the microprocessor reset 5x upon re-start, and this time the problem persisted. Now I am thinking it is a circuit issue. I will leave it unplugged overnight and try again tomorrow. How does one go about getting these repaired?

PS - Once fixed I will invest in an Aircom unit to keep it cool...

THANKS

·
Premium Member
90,341 Posts
I think I jumped for joy prematurely. Today, my received exhibited the same condition... only sound from L R fronts and subwoofer. I turned it on and all channels were performing well. After about 20 mins it seemed to overheat again and I lost all sound except L R Fronts and sub. So, once again I unplugged, put a fan on it, got it to cool down, then did the microprocessor reset 5x upon re-start, and this time the problem persisted. Now I am thinking it is a circuit issue. I will leave it unplugged overnight and try again tomorrow. How does one go about getting these repaired?

PS - Once fixed I will invest in an Aircom unit to keep it cool...

THANKS
Contact Marantz to determine the closest Marantz authorized repair facility, although quicker turn around is likely to occur if shipped to the factory repair facility: United Radio, Syracuse, NY.

As this model is 7 years old, you may be better served putting the repair money into a more current model (eg. Atmos/DTS:X/4k/DV/HLG).

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi Guys, hi JD,

I just bought a second hand SR6006 for my home office (I'm going to use it as a 2.0 HDMI switch basically) and although things are fine I have one "issue":

The receiver tells me there is a firmware upgrade, but when I initiate update the receiver stays stuck on "Authenticating" and does nothing. I tried several times (overnight being the longest).

The device gets an IP address, I can use the web GUI and use airplay. It's on the same network as my 7701 and 7702 that have no problems upgrading firmware when needed.

I did a microprocessor reset and a network reset and still no dice.

I checked http://firmware.marantz.eu/ which gives me a text file that says:

Changelog of SR6006
Main:00.97
When the customer plays the source of "DTS-HD Master Audio/96k PBR (PeakBitRate) stream", the noise occurs or the sound is not output.
The noise occurs in the play of DD+ stream of Netflix.

Main:00.97
IR command addition to AV receiver.
When AV receiver connects with Toshiba DBR-Z150 via HDMI, and BD playing is stopped and plays it again, the level of the sound pressure increases 6dB.
No access to last.fm service.
Problems when controlling by WEB GUI_II

RS-232 command for speaker A+B not working.
AirPlay doesn't operate, when a particular router is used.
When turn on the "Pure-direct" by the RDS broadcast of FM, the display is flickering.

Main:00.94
Improvement of DPMS update.
Changed the default Internet radio station of PRESET CHANNEL3 from "1.fm Classical Musick" to "98.1 Klassik Radio FM".

Main:00.94
Incorrect network behavior reported by Control4 programmer.

Coding in XML document with wrong Symbols.

Improvement of the error processing in DPMS.
Correction of AMX VIALL command.
Countermeasure of GUI defect in 1080i video.
Countermeasure of DM860 NAND Read Disturb.
Improvement of download time in DPMS.
Countermeasure of the Podcast play defect in Internet radio.
Countermeasure of problem concerning possibility of not operating correctly, when area of CNE increases and decreases.
Countermeasure of play defect of m4a file in WMP12.

Main 00.91
NET/USB might be not operated when ON and OFF in the power supply are repeated over 50 times. (Internet Radio, Media Server, USB direct play(iPod), Rhapsody, Napster, LastFM, Pandora, etc)
When iPod is replaced, the product has the possibility of not outputting the video of NET/USB.
The screen becomes a display of the black.
There's a possibility that the screen shakes when the input signal of
"480i/576i/1080i_50/60Hz_Film Source" is converted into the progressive signal.
The problem of MFi (Made For iPod/iPhone) test has been improved. Requesting related to MFi was not filled.

And lastly, I have no idea -nor could I find- where/how to check the current firmware version of the device.

It's not really urgent since everything runs fine, but the fact that there is an upgrade which won't run is nagging me ;-)

Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
90,341 Posts
Hi Guys, hi JD,

I just bought a second hand SR6006 for my home office (I'm going to use it as a 2.0 HDMI switch basically) and although things are fine I have one "issue":

The receiver tells me there is a firmware upgrade, but when I initiate update the receiver stays stuck on "Authenticating" and does nothing. I tried several times (overnight being the longest).

The device gets an IP address, I can use the web GUI and use airplay. It's on the same network as my 7701 and 7702 that have no problems upgrading firmware when needed.

I did a microprocessor reset and a network reset and still no dice.

And lastly, I have no idea -nor could I find- where/how to check the current firmware version of the device.

It's not really urgent since everything runs fine, but the fact that there is an upgrade which won't run is nagging me ;-)

Any ideas?
1. Note that if the update process is stuck on "Authenticating", ensure a source other than NET/USB is selected and just let it continue for up to a few hours and it should eventually begin the update process. Some have noted that rather than selecting the "Check for Update", instead simply selecting the "Start Update" will avoid the "Authenticating" issue. One prior model year owner found that disconnecting ALL sources to the AVR enabled the unit to connect to the Denon servers and update the firmware when the update process had previously been unsuccessful.

2. A user selection of firmware version only started the next year when the SR6007 was released.

·
Registered
253 Posts
1. Note that if the update process is stuck on "Authenticating", ensure a source other than NET/USB is selected and just let it continue for up to a few hours and it should eventually begin the update process. Some have noted that rather than selecting the "Check for Update", instead simply selecting the "Start Update" will avoid the "Authenticating" issue. One prior model year owner found that disconnecting ALL sources to the AVR enabled the unit to connect to the Denon servers and update the firmware when the update process had previously been unsuccessful.

2. A user selection of firmware version only started the next year when the SR6007 was released.

Thanks for the info.

Interestingly, I tried several input selections (other than NET/USB) and have no sources connected to HDMI and now I intermittently get "Connection Failed" and a seemingly never ending "Authenticating...". Which is some progress.

The authenticating part also happens when I directly go to "Start Update".

Well, the fact that the SR6006 can check the server for an update makes me think the connection to the outside world is working so I'll just keep trying one in a while.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Welp, I now almost consistently get an error "Connection failed 25" when I try to update the firmware. As per this thread I can assume my upgrade chances are shot? Or is there a more resetting reset other than the microchip/network reset?

2141 - 2160 of 2188 Posts