AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Marantz SR5009, 6008, 6009, or 1605?

Hey guys. Finishing up the buying for my HT and can't decide on which receiver to go with.
All would be bought through A4L.
I'm looking at the Marantz SR5009, 6008, 6009, and the 1605.
The bonus of the 5009/6009/1605 is newer tech.
I could try extending my budget and get the 6009.
I plan on running 2 Procinema 1000s as fronts, with a ProCenter 2000 and two Procinema 800s as rears. I have a Polk DSW660 as a sub.
No 4K until prices come way down.
Space is 17.5 x 14.5 with 8.5 ceilings.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
ETA:
So I'm going to go ahead and remove the 5008.
I meant to mention, this will be primarily movies/gaming. No music. Maybe the occasional concert on blu ray.
Also, budget is $400-$500 (preferred), could try and stretch to $700 if necessary
Really, all I'd like is a fairly powerful, simple receiver that has on screen display and can push the def techs nicely and something that has some future proofing.

I was also looking at the 1605. I like the slim nature, just not sure about the power (I know most power specs are pretty generous).

·
Registered
123 Posts
little off the subject but have you purchased from A4L before? Wondering because I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new receiver and I'm liking the deals they have listed...

·
Premium Member
90,353 Posts
A brand new NR1605 or SRX009 unit would also come with a 3 year warranty and if purchased from us at AV Science, we can also throw in a free Denon HEOS Link (MSRP $349) which can be used to stream audio to wireless Denon HEOS speakers or can be connected to an older non-networking AVR and stream to it using the Link. Call for more information on feature differences and pricing if interested.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
little off the subject but have you purchased from A4L before? Wondering because I'm close to pulling the trigger on a new receiver and I'm liking the deals they have listed...
I bought my last receiver, Onkyo TX-607, about 5 years ago. Have had no issues with it. I always recommend them.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A brand new NR1605 or SRX009 unit would also come with a 3 year warranty and if purchased from us at AV Science, we can also throw in a free Denon HEOS Link (MSRP $349) which can be used to stream audio to wireless Denon HEOS speakers or can be connected to an older non-networking AVR and stream to it using the Link. Call for more information on feature differences and pricing if interested.
While I do appreciate the offer, unless you can get to A4L pricing I'l have to pass. Plus, I would have no real need for the Denon HEOS speakers. Sounds like a good deal for someone though.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I'll remove the 6009 from the list. I really need to keep this within my budget and if I get the 6009 I won't be able to get the speakers I want.

SO, now the choices are the 6008, 5009 and 1605.

I also should note I currently have the Onkyo TX-607 and don't use the calibration software as I don't really like the results.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I think I'll remove the 6009 from the list. I really need to keep this within my budget and if I get the 6009 I won't be able to get the speakers I want.

SO, now the choices are the 6008, 5009 and 1605.

I also should note I currently have the Onkyo TX-607 and don't use the calibration software as I don't really like the results.
I was just in the same debate, 7008 vs 6009. I went with the 7008. I would go with the 6008.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Do you not think there is any benefit to the 5009? I was looking mainly since it's the same price as the 6008.
From what I saw here 6008 and the 5009. The only difference I found was that the 6008 outputs an extra 10 watts. Unless I'm blind and the 5009 offers something the 6008 doesn't. :confused:

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
From what I saw here 6008 and the 5009. The only difference I found was that the 6008 outputs an extra 10 watts. Unless I'm blind and the 5009 offers something the 6008 doesn't. :confused:
Yeah, that was the only thing I noticed. Just didn't know if either was better. I do like the idea of a newer unit and I would assume those extra 10 watts probable wouldn't be noticeable for my application. Just wanted to try and get some input before choosing.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I noticed the 6008 does Front Width as well as Heigth. Also has 9 speaker terminals and a phono input along with a higher S/N ratio, 102 db vs 98 on the 5009. The 5009 has one more HDMI input. I'd also opt for the 6008 but really couldn't pose a strong argument as to why. Last years 6 series just appeals to me more then this yeays 5 series. But both my current avrs are from 2009!

Probably not relevant but I went from a 5005 to a 6005 a while back (have since sold both of them) and the 6005 was far and away the better receiver. But they are from a time long ago (in avr years).

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I noticed the 6008 does Front Width as well as Heigth. Also has 9 speaker terminals and a phono input along with a higher S/N ratio, 102 db vs 98 on the 5009. The 5009 has one more HDMI input. I'd also opt for the 6008 but really couldn't pose a strong argument as to why. Last years 6 series just appeals to me more then this yeays 5 series. But both my current avrs are from 2009!

Probably not relevant but I went from a 5005 to a 6005 a while back (have since sold both of them) and the 6005 was far and away the better receiver. But they are from a time long ago (in avr years).
Interesting. Makes me want to lean toward the 6008. I was just under the impression that this years low model was last years mid model.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Interesting. Makes me want to lean toward the 6008. I was just under the impression that this years low model was last years mid model.
As new features are added to the higher end models they eventually trickle down to the mid and entry level models. As an example, the 6005 had On Screen Display of things like volum and surround mode adjustments. On the 5005 I had to look (squint!) at the front display. The next years 5006 included OSD. The 5009 probably picked up a thing or two from last years 6008. As long as the 5009 doesn't have something you need/want that the 6008 doesn't have then I'd opt for the 6008. Maybe you should download the manuals for both and give them look.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
As new features are added to the higher end models they eventually trickle down to the mid and entry level models. As an example, the 6005 had On Screen Display of things like volum and surround mode adjustments. On the 5005 I had to look (squint!) at the front display. The next years 5006 included OSD. The 5009 probably picked up a thing or two from last years 6008. As long as the 5009 doesn't have something you need/want that the 6008 doesn't have then I'd opt for the 6008. Maybe you should download the manuals for both and give them look.
Yeah, I think I'm going to go with the 6008. I'd rather have a mid level model than a lower end one. Plus, it's only a year behind.
Out of curiosity, can anyone comment on whether the 6008 gets very hot? My Onkyo tends to get pretty warm with long usage, which is understandable. I was hoping to get something that runs a bit cooler.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Older Onkyo's, like your 607, did run very warm. I had an Integra 8.9 a few years ago that got so hot I had to unplug it even in standby mode. A 70.2* I bought a while later ran much cooler.

I've had three Marantz receivers lately, 5005, 6005 and 7005, and none of them had me concerned about heat at all. Pioneers run cooler then any other brand IMO. Barely get luke warm. I've also found Marantz receivers to be very easy to setup and operate. Really like their remotes too.

* One of many avrs I wish I had kept...but then again, if I had I guess that would have left me with a closet full of the silly things.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Older Onkyo's, like your 607, did run very warm. I had an Integra 8.9 a few years ago that got so hot I had to unplug it even in standby mode. A 70.2* I bought a while later ran much cooler.

I've had three Marantz receivers lately, 5005, 6005 and 7005, and none of them had me concerned about heat at all. Pioneers run cooler then any other brand IMO. Barely get luke warm. I've also found Marantz receivers to be very easy to setup and operate. Really like their remotes too.

* One of many avrs I wish I had kept...but then again, if I had I guess that would have left me with a closet full of the silly things.
Excellent! I think I'll go with the 6008. Seems to be the best bang for the buck. I appreciate all the info, especially on the temperature concerns. I really wish I could stretch the budget for the 6009, or even the 7008, mainly due to the buttons being covered by the little door. Looks better to me.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So, I went ahead and bought the 6008. I'm really excited to be getting a new, to me, unit. Thanks for all your input guys! I appreciate it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Im debating the exact same thing, 5009 vs 6008. The pro of 5009 is wifi and bluetooth and 6008 would be 10 more watts? What else am I missing? Wifi could be huge as im moving to a house and we havent decided where the router will be.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts