AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All -

I have a 4K Ultra HDTV for my Home Theater, and an integrated home audio system.

Can you please provide any insight into the difference between the Marantz 5009 vs Denon 2100. Is the extra expense in the Marantz worthwhile?
My understanding are they are owned within the same company and my impression is Marantz has a higher quality audio reputation.
Trying to understand if the Marantz actually provides a higher quality audio or video experience?

Also was not originally considering the Onkyo, but see it has 60hz 4K Ultra HD upscaling - am I making a mistake not considering that receiver?

Thank you much in advance for your feedback. Much appreciated!!!!

·
Registered
15,083 Posts
Most of the differences between comparable Marantz and Denon AVRs are in the analog circuitry. e.g. Marantz provides larger filter capacitors, more sophisticated amp circuits, etc. One major functional difference is that current Marantz receivers have multichanel analog inputs, while the comparable Denon AVRs do not. You'll have to decide if those are features that you want.

A major defect in this year's Onkyo/Integra AVRs is that they dropped Audyssey room correction, replacing it by a much less sophisticated (and much less expensive) version of their own. Unlike D+M's Audyssey, Onkyo's AccuEQ does not EQ the front speakers or the subwoofer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you Selden - that is very helpful. Will eliminate the Onkyo from consideration.
In terms of AV Receiver usage, we will be using it for TV Viewing, Blu Ray, FLAC Audio Playing, Record Player, and audio streaming.

Will the Marantz have better audio attributes for those type of usages?
Is it a better built, higher quality product?
I tried looking up the multichannel analog input usage, but it wasn't clear.
But given the usage above - is it likely I will encounter the multichannel analog input?

Thanks much

Doug

·
Premium Member
92,788 Posts
The multi analog inputs would be used primarily from a SACD player rather than HDMI as some prefer a more DIRECT signal path with no digital processing when listening to music. The SR5009 also includes a full set of 7.2 main zone pre-outs as well if you ever wanted to add an external amp. From what you list, the X2100W should suit you just fine as both models use the same version of Audyssey MultEQ XT and both come with a 3 year warranty as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts