AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an older Marantz sr5300. My remote recently broke. Now I can't control many of my settings. I was wondering if there is another remote out there that will some what control my 5300. I would really rather not pay 75 dollars for a new remote. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well, if you have an cable company remote of the Atlas type, or the remote from a higher end Vizio TV, you probably don't have to spend anything. Otherwise, get a RCA RCRP05B, or a OneForAll URC-8820 (or 10820). Radio Shack 15-133,134,or 135 will also work, but they are discontinued.

The setup code is 1289 (31289 in remotes that take 5 digit setup codes).

The RCA is $20 at BestBuy; the 8820 is availble via Internet for a similar price.

If you want to get functionality like discrete On/Off or discrete mute on/off or discrete inputs, we can tell you how to add that capability to any of the above remotes.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3FingeredGlove /forum/post/17945549

Well, if you have an cable company remote of the Atlas type, or the remote from a higher end Vizio TV, you probably don't have to spend anything. Otherwise, get a RCA RCRP05B, or a OneForAll URC-8820 (or 10820). Radio Shack 15-133,134,or 135 will also work, but they are discontinued.

The setup code is 1289 (31289 in remotes that take 5 digit setup codes).

The RCA is $20 at BestBuy; the 8820 is availble via Internet for a similar price.

If you want to get functionality like discrete On/Off or discrete mute on/off or discrete inputs, we can tell you how to add that capability to any of the above remotes.

Thank you so much for your help! I will work on rounding up one of those remotes and give it a shot. Thanks again.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Not sure if you're referring to discretes generally or how an 8820 can deal with them.

Components typically respond, for example, to a power toggle IR command, which will turn off the component if it was on, and turn it on if it was off. Some, but not all, components can respond to an IR command like discrete ON by turning on the component if it was off, and doing nothing if it is already on. Usually, the remote that comes with the component is not able to transmit this command, and most universals do not have the discrete On command built-in. A learning remote is no use, because the OEM remote doesn't provide the necessary signal.

The 8820, and other remotes made by Universal Electronics, can be manually programmed on a button by button basis. Some background info: IR signals follow a protocol, which is the temporal pattern of light flashes which describe zeros and ones. For example Sony equipment uses a different pattern than Panasonic. Within a particular protocol, IR signals contain a device number (and sometimes a subdevice number.) These are a kind of address that allows e.g. Sony to understand whether "play" should affect a DVD player or an old VCR. Lastly, the signal contains a function code, like "stop" or "Vol+".

Provided that the 8820 has a setup code corresponding to the desired IR protocol, and in some cases the correct device numbers, then we can program in an arbitrary function code.

If you want to try to add some discretes to your remote, post the model numbers of your equipment. Asuming the equipment has the capabilty to respond to dicrete commands, we can tell you how to assign an Extended Function Code (EFC) to buttons.

·
Registered
30 Posts
LG 47LH30 (tv)

Harman Kardon Festival 80 (old stereo)

I seem to get it to learn most of the LG things except the power button.

the HK same thing, volume, but no power...

The biggest issue when I try to teach it is that it starts blinking a lot. 5 times sometimes when I push a button. I just have to leave it and come back another day when it does that since I don't know how to reset it.

·
Registered
2 Posts

I have the same receiver as the OP, a Marantz SR5300. I too do not have the remote. 

The RCA RCRP05BR remote seems like a good move. I read the manual for it and got the impression that you need the original remote control (that came with the Marantz SR5300) in order for the RCA to "learn" a function (such as controlling bass and treble - which is all I need the remote for). The RCA remote doesn't seem to have any buttons labelled bass or treble. 

So my question is, will the RCA remote automatically designate 2 of its keys for bass increase/decrease and 2 more for treble increase/decrease once I put in the setup code for the Marantz receiver (1289)? Or will I need to get my hands on the original Marantz remote to "teach" the RCA remote? 

Amazing that the SR5300 doesn't have any tone controls on the actual receiver! All kinds of other bells and whistles and no tone control.... bizarre.

Thanks in advance for your insight.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts