AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a NIB Marantz sr6005 the other day from my local BB for ~$450 on clearance. I thought this was too great of a deal to pass up although I had just started my new receiver search.

I am just not that knowledgeable with the higher end systems(relative to what I have purchased) and have always been a Denon slappy until recent. Did I score a great deal and run with it or is there something else out there in my price range - below $500 that I am missing?

I have seen some great reviews on the Onkyo TX-NR609, but will that compare to a normally $1k receiver in sound quality? A

I am really looking for a deal on last years receivers rather than get a newer lower end one, I really don't care about networking, I have a PS3, Xbox 360 and a Panny Viera TV for that. My big reason from updating from a Denon 1910 is for 3D and ARC.

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know! I was considering a refurb sr5005 before I went searching stores then I found this one. They had some 5005s on clearance too, for about $350 - almost bought a bunch of 'em and sold them online.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
I think you will like the 6005 much better than the 5005. The 5005's GUI is like a video game from the 1980's. The 6005 has a much better GUI and adds volume overlay. 350 is a great price for a 5005. I wish there was a Magnolia near me. The only good deals at the local Best Buy here are the Denon 591s. I pretty much have to order receivers online unless I want a low model Denon or Yamaha. Congrats on the find!

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, do you think the Onkyo could match up against the Marantz or is it not even worth comparing them?

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@jdsmoothie I thought about the 2112CI while at Magnolia and compared the two but there was much more depth to the 6005 compared even to the 2312 (to me at least).

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ahh, I see. But if they didn't run the setup up on the Denon, then they probably didn't run it on the Marantz, so shouldn't it still be a level playing field, or would there be a bigger improvement for the Denon?

·
Registered
2,684 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnitedAV /forum/post/20797964

Thanks, do you think the Onkyo could match up against the Marantz or is it not even worth comparing them?

The Onkyo uses Audyssey 2EQ that won't eq your subwoofer so I would stay with the Marantz. The Denon 2112 that JD mentions goes a step further to MultEQ XT so that's a good recommendation. You would loose the preamp outputs so if you plan to add an amp at some point the Marantz is a better pick. The Denon does have airplay and you can control it with an iphone/ipad app.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I just went back to the Mag store where I got the 6005 and the guy there showed me the Yamaha Aventage line, while they didn't have the RX-A800, they had the A700 and A1000. I was shocked to see that the A700 while in Pure Direct sounded very close to the Marantz 6005. Then there was the A1000 which sounded noticeably better than the 6005. The only problem is that there is no where that I can find the A1000 close to what I paid for the 6005. Does anyone know how the A800 would compare to the 6005? I am really intrigued by the Aventage line...

·
Registered
13,274 Posts
I grabbed one at Best Buy today when I saw the close-out price. I did have to drive to another location which had two NIB. It's for a dedicated screening room so networking and whatnot doesn't matter however I wouldn't mind Audyssey MultEQ XT. That is my only drawback. However I really liked my Pioneer SC-07 (and other receivers) with less powerful correction so I'm thinking I can live without it. Sure it might sound different but would I like it better? I like its old school looks and I know that doesn't make it sound any better but most receivers today are looking like the fakes used in furniture ads.
Oh well I have a few weeks to decide...

·
Banned
2,914 Posts
What speakers(specifically subwoofer) are you using...

The better your subwooofer the less likely you need the "better Audyssey".

The 6005 for what you paid will run circles around the 2112, albeit if you get over the lack of the "best" Audyssey.

·
Registered
13,274 Posts
My speakers are really old Boston Acoustics and I use the fronts for my subs (they have a separate input). The sides also have subs built into them.

The VR975 features a powered, 150-watt, side-firing 10-inch (250mm) Deep Channel Design (DCD) bass unit and a passive 12-inch (305mm) radiator. The VR975 also includes two 4-1/2-inch (115mm) midranges and a 1-inch (25mm) aluminum VR tweeter.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269
What speakers(specifically subwoofer) are you using...

The better your subwooofer the less likely you need the "better Audyssey".

The 6005 for what you paid will run circles around the 2112, albeit if you get over the lack of the "best" Audyssey.
Having a better sub in no way lessens/negates the benefits of MultiEQ XT over regular MultiEQ. The sub filter resolution is the same (128X) for both... What you gain with XT is higher resolution for the "satellite" (16X vs 2X).

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

·
Registered
13,274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaiii /forum/post/20800740

http://www.audyssey.com/audio-technology/multeq

Yeah - I have read their recap before. I remember my Pioneer (it uses MCACC) would allow you to select one of four methods once the EQ process was complete. You could flip back and forth between them and each was based on a different criteria such as matching your fronts, EQing all channels, etc. Two of the four I never liked and the other two were too close to pick from. I think I ended up with the all channel adjust however it was always sort of confusing on which method was correct. Even correct is open to debate... closest to what's on the sound track or what one prefers. With Audyssey I believe it's either on or off and I have always wondered what the other three methods would sound like.
Heck I even preferred a different one of the four based on the material such as a concert versus a dialog based movie.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I think I am set on this sr6005, I read somewhere that the Yamaha's I could afford don't allow for different crossovers and as of right now I need it and I am going to start upgrading my fronts soon which then I'll really need it.

I was still a little unsure......then I finally hooked this guy up, and oh my! I think I am in love. I took all the time in the world to make sure I had everything setup properly, ran Audyssey about 5 times after I read a different tip after each one. I never thought these NewEgg Polks could sound so good. This receiver is just so much better than my old Denon 1910 and Audyssey on the Marantz is amazing.

I am very happy with my choice and the price I got it at.

@Charles - I hope you are enjoying yours as much I am mine.

@schan - Yeah once I figured out it requires HDMI control to be on I left the optical cable plugged in. HDMI-CEC never works right for me and especially when using macros. You said it right - "a wast of time"

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts