AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short we sold our house and built a new one. Everything went in storage in the meantime. Today, I set up the AV system and all was well. Mostly... My front right speaker had a lower volume level than the rest. I went into the receivers GUI and started a test tone for each speaker thinking maybe it was just a room difference from the last house. However, it was indeed much lower than the other 4. Tried turning it up a bit and bam... the receiver shuts down and goes into protection mode with the standby light flashing rapidly. I unplug everything and test all my speaker outlets that terminate at the end of in wall wiring that my electrician ran for me. Sure enough, the front right show continuity between positive and negative. It was a 4 wire cable so I was able to pick two other wires that he was nice enough not to put a staple through... :rolleyes: However, the receiver now won't come out of protection mode. I tired the hard reset with the surround/auto/power cycle with no success. 4 seconds after startup, it's back in protection mode.

A few questions...

First is I've had positive and neg wires touch temporarily on other equipment before. It never bricked the unit. Any idea why this time was different?

Second, should I spend the likely couple hundred bucks to fix it or just replace it? It's like new with very little use as we are usually too busy for movies or games so we just use the tv speakers 90% of the time. So, I hate to dump it. On the other hand, it always seems foolish to repair something with age on it as the cost is usually a good percentage of buying new and improved... Thoughts?

Lastly, is there anything else I can try at home or am I done for at this point?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Long story short we sold our house and built a new one. Everything went in storage in the meantime. Today, I set up the AV system and all was well. Mostly... My front right speaker had a lower volume level than the rest. I went into the receivers GUI and started a test tone for each speaker thinking maybe it was just a room difference from the last house. However, it was indeed much lower than the other 4. Tried turning it up a bit and bam... the receiver shuts down and goes into protection mode with the standby light flashing rapidly. I unplug everything and test all my speaker outlets that terminate at the end of in wall wiring that my electrician ran for me. Sure enough, the front right show continuity between positive and negative. It was a 4 wire cable so I was able to pick two other wires that he was nice enough not to put a staple through... :rolleyes: However, the receiver now won't come out of protection mode. I tired the hard reset with the surround/auto/power cycle with no success. 4 seconds after startup, it's back in protection mode.

A few questions...

First is I've had positive and neg wires touch temporarily on other equipment before. It never bricked the unit. Any idea why this time was different?

Second, should I spend the likely couple hundred bucks to fix it or just replace it? It's like new with very little use as we are usually too busy for movies or games so we just use the tv speakers 90% of the time. So, I hate to dump it. On the other hand, it always seems foolish to repair something with age on it as the cost is usually a good percentage of buying new and improved... Thoughts?

Lastly, is there anything else I can try at home or am I done for at this point?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or advice...
Sounds like you cooked the Amp section if several more reset attempts do not help. not the worst to replace, Personally i would look for a 7010 on up in the classifieds here,Much has changed since that unit

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did 3-4 resets and no joy... Normally, I would be quite excited about a failure as it would be a great excuse for an upgrade. However, after the usual way over budget stuff on our new home build... this couldn't be a worse time. Ugh... Any idea what the repair might cost? I'll likely bite the bullet and go new but just curious. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts