AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've tried searching for this before hand and came up empty handed... I'm using my SR7008 with SVS Ultra Bookshelves without a sub yet. When it asks for the speakers size, it won't let me select small without having the sub option on. Does this effect anything?

·
Premium Member
90,432 Posts
I've tried searching for this before hand and came up empty handed... I'm using my SR7008 with SVS Ultra Bookshelves without a sub yet. When it asks for the speakers size, it won't let me select small without having the sub option on. Does this effect anything?
If there is no dedicated sub, then the FL/FR speakers are set to LARGE by default and get a full range signal.

·
Premium Member
11,469 Posts
"Large" speakers: All frequencies sent to speakers.
"Small" speakers: All frequencies above crossover sent to speakers; all frequencies below sent to sub.

If the AVR let you set your speakers to "Small" without a sub to handle the lower frequencies, you'd lose everything below the crossover. It makes no sense for the AVR to let you do that.

You could experiment by...
- setting speakers to "Large" w/ sub set to "No"; and, then,
- setting speakers to "Small" w/ sub to "Yes" (but no sub plugged in) and crossover at 80Hz,
...and noting the difference in sound.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
"Large" speakers: All frequencies sent to speakers.
"Small" speakers: All frequencies above crossover sent to speakers; all frequencies below sent to sub.

If the AVR let you set your speakers to "Small" without a sub to handle the lower frequencies, you'd lose everything below the crossover. It makes no sense for the AVR to let you do that.

You could experiment by...
- setting speakers to "Large" w/ sub set to "No"; and, then,
- setting speakers to "Small" w/ sub to "Yes" (but no sub plugged in) and crossover at 80Hz,
...and noting the difference in sound.
Which would sound much different as doing so would disable Audyssey. :eek:

Yeah, I've already messed around with it running like that.

Edit: Does going into manual section after Audyssey turn off Audyssey? Like it set the tone down -3.5 on my left and -2.5 on my right. Is it alright if I just set them both to 0?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts