AVS Forum banner

2261 - 2280 of 3554 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
...I have again checked the 9.1 Amp Assign settings:

There is very low sound coming from the height speakers, I did not notice this before due to the fronts over powering them but when I got close up to them, there is low sound output?
Adjusting the Levels of the 4 Height speaker> from 0.0dB to +5.00dB did not make much difference to the sound output ?
where as the speaker level at 0.0dB in the Test Tone is quite loud and also if I play a Dolby Atmos track

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
sorry off topic here but im desparate and its driving me insane! i have a problem with my wifi, it doesn't exist and have no option of setting it up! always ask for a lan cable connection. Its been working fine from new bout 2 months and now its like the amp doesn't know it has wifi, anyone else have or heard about this before? any help would be great. Thanks

I'm starting to save my configuration settings as i fear a factory reset could be in order and just realized ill have to check the Bluetooth aswell
Hi Anthony M,

Welcome to AVS!

If you have the Marantz SR-7009, it's part of the Denon/Marantz family of recievers. There are common features on both platforms and the tips developed for one are applicable to the other.

One of the Denon experts is jdsmoothie and he's complied a comprehensive guide for Denon receivers over at the 2014 Denon thread. Have a read of post number 3 and pay particular attention to item 7 regarding networking and item 11 on trouble shooting. Try out the tips and report back your findings for your SR-7009.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Anthony M,

Welcome to AVS!

If you have the Marantz SR-7009, it's part of the Denon/Marantz family of recievers. There are common features on both platforms and the tips developed for one are applicable to the other.

One of the Denon experts is jdsmoothie and he's complied a comprehensive guide for Denon receivers over at the 2014 Denon thread. Have a read of and pay particular attention to item 7 regarding networking and item 11 on trouble shooting. Try out the tips and report back your findings for your SR-7009.
thank you ill have a look, thanks for the welcome:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Anthony M,

Welcome to AVS!

Try out the tips and report back your findings for your SR-7009.
which of the Denon is the equivalent to sr7009 , the x4000? as different reset procedures both dont work. is there a trick im missing or something?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
4100 or 5200

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
which of the Denon is the equivalent to sr7009 , the x4000? as different reset procedures both dont work. is there a trick im missing or something?
Hi Anthony M,

If you're referring to the factory reset, it is on page 299 of the SR-7009 owner's manual. Procedure is as follows.

1. Turn the unit OFF.
2. When turning the unit ON, press and hold the GAME and A-DSX buttons simulataneously.
3. When the word "Initialized" appears on the display, release the GAME and A-DSX buttons.

Please note that all settiings are lost when one carries out a factory reset.

A soft reset is simply un-plugging the power chord and leaving it unplugged for about 10 minutes.

Edit: The network reset involves pressing and holding the MOVIE + MUSIC buttons on the front panel while powering ON the SR-7009.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi Anthony M,

If you're referring to the factory reset, it is on page 299 of the SR-7009 owner's manual. Procedure is as follows.

1. Turn the unit OFF.
2. When turning the unit ON, press and hold the GAME and A-DSX buttons simulataneously.
3. When the word "Initialized" appears on the display, release the GAME and A-DSX buttons.

Please note that all settiings are lost when one carries out a factory reset.

A soft reset is simply un-plugging the power chord and leaving it unplugged for about 10 minutes.

Edit: The network reset involves pressing and holding the MOVIE + MUSIC buttons on the front panel while powering ON the AVR.
The network reset involves pressing and holding the MOVIE + MUSIC buttons on the front panel while powering ON the AVR.
yes thankyou thats what i was looking for thank you thank you. ill give it a go now!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have at home a SR-7009 for a 14-day test. My current receiver is a Denon x4000. I know most people consider this a lateral move, even more so when you know that my setup is a 4.1. (4 KEF R100 and 1 Polk Audio PSW110), so no use (or interest) for Dolby Atmos. My usage is 90% music (Jazz, Flamenco, Chillout) and 10% tv/movies.
I also thought that the improvements may have been marginal if any, hence I bought it with a return policy.
I also have to mention that I am no audiophile, in the sense that I enjoy processed music and, in fact, on both units the two direct modes would be the last of my choices. I tend to use Dolby Surround with Dynamic Eq and Dynamic Volume on.
The test I did is a fair one: same material, same speakers, same room, same 8 Audyssey positions, same Audyssey microphone and stand. I'd say also same ears but we know that psychology plays a big role in what (we think) we hear. I also should mention that I can afford keeping both, so I did not try to convince myself that the Marantz was not any better.

Having said that, my conclusion is that I can safely return the Marantz 7009. There is no question that the Marantz unit appears of a higher grade: more massive, heavier, gold plated input terminals. The Audyssey autosetup process turned out slightly more elaborate on the Marantz and, remarkably, it spotted that the surround left speaker have the polarities inverted while the Denon did not warn me of this. I was surprised as both had the XT32 version of Audyssey.
When I started listening the Marantz, I noticed 3 things:

1. It was brighter than the Denon, with the highs a bit more pronounced.
2. The surround sounds was less balanced between front and surround, with the front much more dominant than the Denon.
3. There is much less difference between Dolby Surround and DTS surround than I hear in the Denon (where Dolby Surround brings much more sound to the surround speakers than the DTS does).

Overall I thought the sound was a bit leaner than the Denon. That was the impression of day 1. I am now on day 8 and after all I did not change my mind. I suspect that some people may find the Marantz more accurate, with the Denon a bit more "bassy". I had a Pioneer SC-1227K some time ago and I now find the Marantz sound somehow in between the Denon and the Pioneer.

But, do not get me wrong, the difference is not so much: in my personal preference the Denon has a slight edge. Suprisingly a warmer presentation than the Marantz.

I tested both at volume set to 30 and 38 depending on the type of music. My ears cannot tell any power difference, I do not know if a measuring tool would say otherwise.
The Denon gives a bit more tweaking room of the surround effect, while the Marantz only allows you to choose whether to enable Cinema EQ and Center spread (which for me makes no difference as I have no center channel, so the sounds is spread anyways among the front speakers). Also the Denon offers a few more DSP effect than the Marantz. Spotify, which I use extensively, is better managed by the Denon with a direct connection under the "Network" group, while the Marantz requires to use your mobile device and to be on the same WiFi network (similarly to AirPlay, which I do not use as I am an Android user).
There is one area where I found the Marantz unquestionably superior: the Direct and Pure Direct modes. If that was my favorite way of listening my AVR, I'd keep the Marantz, no question. As i said before, this is not the case.
I kept switching the 2 receivers every day, someitmes more than once per day and my conclusion is that the Marantz will go back. For my usage, the Denon x4000 is just as good, actually for my personal taste even better.
I repeat, I would not knock down the SR7009 but I am now no longer under the impression that the Marantz brand has an advantage over the sister Denon in terms of sound.
Of course your milage may vary and I'd be glad to read more impressions on comparative reviews. I do hope someone can step in comparing the SR7009 to a Yamaha Aventage 2030 or 2040 which I am contemplating taking for a test once the Marantz will be fully refunded.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
When I started listening the Marantz, I noticed 3 things:

1. It was brighter than the Denon, with the highs a bit more pronounced.
2. The surround sounds was less balanced between front and surround, with the front much more dominant than the Denon.
3. There is much less difference between Dolby Surround and DTS surround than I hear in the Denon (where Dolby Surround brings much more sound to the surround speakers than the DTS does).

I tested both at volume set to 30 and 38 depending on the type of music. My ears cannot tell any power difference, I do not know if a measuring tool would say otherwise.
Of course your milage may vary and I'd be glad to read more impressions on comparative reviews. I do hope someone can step in comparing the SR7009 to a Yamaha Aventage 2030 or 2040 which I am contemplating taking for a test once the Marantz will be fully refunded.
Hi rispoli,

A few pages back, there is an interesting exchange of posts between dimi123, Keith Barnes and myself regarding testing of receivers. Starting from post number 2,199 (as well a few pages back if you want the whole history) there was the question of a proper testing method that dimi123 had conducted so that bias can be removed.

One particular bias is the McGurk Effect and this is shown in a BBC youtube documentary in post number 2,209.

It is very difficult to eliminate the McGurk Effect with standard equipment that people have in their homes.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hi rispoli,

A few pages back, there is an interesting exchange of posts between dimi123, Keith Barnes and myself regarding testing of receivers. Starting from post number 2,199 (as well a few pages back if you want the whole history) there was the question of a proper testing method that dimi123 had conducted so that bias can be removed.

One particular bias is the McGurk Effect and this is shown in a BBC youtube documentary in post number 2,209.

It is very difficult to eliminate the McGurk Effect with standard equipment that people have in their homes.
Actually I had mentioned in first place that the test was a personal experience not supported by measurements and possibly inclusive of some bias. However, talking of bias and expectations, my experience turned out the opposite of what I expected in first place, so I somehow doubt that my beforehand expectations had a leading role in my decision to stay with the Denon.

I expected the Marants to sound warmer, possibly louder at the same volume % and overall better, but that is not what I ended up experiencing. I also said that I am in a good financial position which allows me to keep both and migrate the Denon in the bedroom, so I did not try to convince myself that the Marantz did not sound any better and was a waste of money if an audio improvement was sought.

My purpose was to share an experience. I had read often that Marantz sounds better than Denon and I did not experience that. I read speculation that they must sound the same because all the internal components are the same and, again, that is not what I experienced.

It is also worth mentioning that both units (my Denon is 2 years old) are remarkably bug-free. Will this last? Who knows...

·
Registered
261 Posts
^^
By following the directions you received with the Harmony remote. :)
It didn't guide me on how to do it until much later , thanks tho

·
Registered
175 Posts
Coming mid August Marantz SR2010

Attachments

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Only the "flagship" D&M models have 32bit DACS which does not include the SR7005 or AV7005. Also, with the upgraded HDAM pre-amps in the SR7009 as well as the much more advanced Audyssey MultEQ XT32, most would likely agree the SR7009 provides better audio quality in both 2CH music and multi-channel movie listening.
and now it seems the 7010 :)

was tempted to get a 7009 - now going to wait for a 7010 I think

wonder if it will be a 32 bit multi-DAC or individual DACs

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,277 (Edited)
AFAIK, we should start seeing more mfr's use 64bit DSPs with the new 2015 models.
That sounds good CEDIA 2015 or 2016! :confused:

Well not this year 64 BIT may be next year

Marantz SR7010

Lastly, the '7010 is a nine-channel, 125W amp with 11.2 signal processing. It ups the ante with Atmos 7.1.4 support, DTS:X, Neural:X 11.1 and Auro 3D.
There's an extra HDMI output on the '7010, plus a new 32bit/192kHz DAC and an ECO mode.

Also new are upgraded versions of two high-end preamps. The new models are the AV7702mkII and the AV8802A.
The AV8802A gets full HDCP 2.2 support, necessary for 4K video (there's an upgrade for existing AV8802 amps, too). The new model is due this month and will cost £3349.

The Marantz AV7702mkII is due on sale in October and will cost £1699. It supports Atmos 7.1.4 and DTS:X, and will also get support for Neural:X 11.1 and Auro 3D via an update. It has the new 32bit/192kHz DAC, retuned sound, HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,278
Also DENON last year’s flagship model, the 9.2-channel AVR-X7200W, returns this year, but with an added ‘A’.

The only change here is that the AVR-X7200WA now supports HDCP 2.2 for 4K 60Hz pass through, but everything else remains. That means 150W of power per channel and Atmos support up to 7.1.2 (the others only support 5.1.2).

Owners of the previous models can upgrade for £180, but new buyers should expect to pay £2499 for the new unit. It’s available now. The rest of the models will be available in August. We'll bring you our thoughts on them as soon as get them in our testing rooms.

·
Registered
388 Posts
anybody know how to get the 7009 hdmi monitor out to display on my tv? I get stuck at the set up assistant with no hdmi feed to any of the inputs on my tv. I've reset the 7009, tried 3 different hdmi cables, unplugged the power cords from my display and the 7009, but nothing works.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
anybody know how to get the 7009 hdmi monitor out to display on my tv? I get stuck at the set up assistant with no hdmi feed to any of the inputs on my tv. I've reset the 7009, tried 3 different hdmi cables, unplugged the power cords from my display and the 7009, but nothing works.
If its still under 30 days old, return it for another... If not sounds like you may have to ship it off for repair.

2261 - 2280 of 3554 Posts