AVS Forum banner

2441 - 2460 of 3554 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Hello..

I was debating on waiting for the new model, however I pulled the trigger on a "b" stock sr7009 here in Canada for $1399 ($1057 U.S.) I could not resist. I have no plans to upgrade to a 4k projector, and I am committed to Dolby atmos, with pioneer dolby atmos speakers,so Dts x is of no issue.

I plan on using the internal amps for the surrounds only, and power amps for the rest in a 7.2.4 setup. Are there any tricks to configure this properly?

·
Registered
3,384 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks.. I did read that, but I was not sure if it would apply to my setup. I want to use the 7009 to run only 2 speakers out of a 11.2... Would that be the same settings?

I have 4 Dolby atmos enabled speakers, one centre, two surrounds. And 2 subs.

I am switching from a pioneer that labels surround back terminals to use as Dolby top fronts, and front height terminals to use as Dolby top backs. :)

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Thanks.. I did read that, but I was not sure if it would apply to my setup. I want to use the 7009 to run only 2 speakers out of a 11.2... Would that be the same settings?

I am switching from a pioneer that labels surround back terminals to use as Dolby top fronts, and front height terminals to use as Dolby top backs. :)
The SR-7009 only has 9 internal amp channels and the standard configuration is to power 9 out of 11 using them. When using the standard configuration the HEIGHT 2 speakers will need an external amp to power them. No big deal since most of the time, these speakers will be silent.

My understanding is that if you want to power all four ceiling speakers with the internal amps of the SR-7009 and floor level speakers with an external amp, then the amp assign configuration given by jdsmoothie in post number 2311 is the way to go.

The idea is that you can get a more powerful external amp (i.e. Emotiva XPA-3) for the front left, center and front right which has the greatest power demand for movie sound tracks as well as for music reproduction. The rest of the 8 speakers are there for filling in the surround bubble, whether to the sides, back or on top and not generally used much (hence a lower power requirement) - approximately 20% for movie sound tracks and 0% for two-channel solid stereo music.

Reactions: pasender91

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thank you for the input, however i only want to run 2 surround speakers from the 7009. I will run the front/centre/front heights/surround backs/surround heights with external amps.

So 7.2.4

5.2.4 ran externally, and

2.0.0 ran from the 7009.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Thank you for the input, however i only want to run 2 surround speakers from the 7009. I will run the front/centre/front heights/surround backs/surround heights with external amps.

So 7.2.4

2.0.0 ran from the 7009.
So just the left + right surround to be powered by the internal amps of the SR-7009? Might want to check with pasender91 has configured the amp assign of his SR-7009 as per jdsmoothi's recommendation.

I currently have the SR-7009 in a 9.1 channel mode (don't have surround backs due to space limitations) with a 5.2.4 Atmos speaker configuration. I have the amp assign as per jdsmoothie's recommendation.

Powering all the speakers off external amps except HEIGHT 2 speakers which are powered by the SR-7009 internal amps.

Edit: You mentioned something about surround height which is not possible for Atmos. Are you getting confused with the Auro 3D speaker arrangement?

·
Registered
551 Posts
I am configured in the same way as jdsmoothie described very well.
I power the 7.0.0 externally and use the 7009 for the 0.0.4 height speakers.

I don't fully understand why you want to dedicate the 7009 to the surrounds, it would seem more logical to power the surrounds with the external amp and use the 7009 for 2 or 4 height speakers, as they will need lower power levels.

·
Premium Member
87,946 Posts

So 7.2.4

2.0.0 ran from the 7009.

With Dolby enabled speakers being used you'll want to use the configuration listed below. The important thing to take away is that the pre-outs are always hot so you only have to identify the speakers to be used to expand from 9CH --> 11CH which in the below configuration would be the FL/FR + Back Dolby speakers. Beyond using the FL/FR + Back Dolby pre-outs, you have 3 choices: externally amp (1) all of the remaining speakers (essentially only using the AVR as a pre/pro), (2) some of the remaining speakers (eg. all but the Surround in your use case), or (3) none of the remaining speakers.

Amp Assign: 11.1
Height Speakers: Using Dolby Speakers
Height Layout: Front Dolby + Back Dolby
Wide/HT 2: Front Wide
Pre-out: Front + Back Dolby

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ok great that makes a lot of sense.

The reason why I can't externally power the surrounds is because I am using 4 pioneer atmos enabled speakers. So they are 2 speakers in one = 8 speakers. The issue with these is the way they are wired, both speaker terminals need to be powered by the same amp, due to grounding or something. I only have 2 -5 channel power amps, so there would be one channel left over. I assume it would not make sense to only power the centre channel with the Marantz. So since the others are 2 in 1, the only other option is to power the surrounds (single speakers) with the marantz.

It is confusing, but I hope I made a little sense. lol

I may have confused to terminology for the top speakers.

So the setup I will run is

Front left and right tower speakers with two tops built in.. 4 speakers..

Centre channel..

2 surround tower speakers

2 surround back bookshelves with tops built in..= 4 speakers

2 subs

·
Premium Member
87,946 Posts
Ok great that makes a lot of sense.

The reason why I can't externally power the surrounds is because I am using 4 pioneer atmos enabled speakers. So they are 2 speakers in one = 8 speakers. The issue with these is the way they are wired, both speaker terminals need to be powered by the same amp, due to grounding or something. I only have 2 -5 channel power amps, so there would be one channel left over. I assume it would not make sense to only power the centre channel with the Marantz. So since the others are 2 in 1, the only other option is to power the surrounds (single speakers) with the marantz.

It is confusing, but I hope I made a little sense. lol

I may have confused to terminology for the top speakers.

So the setup I will run is

Front left and right tower speakers with two tops built in.. 4 speakers..

Centre channel..

2 surround tower speakers

2 surround back bookshelves with tops built in..= 4 speakers

2 subs

Oops! Sorry, my mistake. You actually won't use the previously suggested configuration, but will rather want to use the configuration that uses the Dolby enabled speakers instead. Please see my previous post.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not confusing, very clear explanation ;)

I was not aware that the Atmos modules cannot be amplified by another amp, this is news to me, and seems quite strange.
What if you want to use stereo amps ? following this logic, it is impossible in this case ... :confused:

·
Registered
167 Posts
I am not sure how they they are internally wired, but when I used the power amp to power the modules only, the amp got extremely hot to the point of shutting down. Once I switched all to the same amp, everything was fine.

The speakers are also a 4 ohm load.

I could not find any tech info on the speakers at all. In would probably have to contact pioneer for that info.

·
Registered
15 Posts
thank you for your reply it has worked in HDMI 2 but only limited to 88.2khz not full data of 2.8! if it matters i am running only 1 HDMI cable for both video and audio.
Sorry to bring this up again but i still cant work out why the DSD is limited? does it have to be in pure direct or something? as i have some SACD's coming and thing not much point if its not coming to be played at its optimum?

·
Registered
271 Posts
hi guys i have a question i currently have denon x2100w and looking to buy marantz sr7009 now my set up will be 5.1.4 atmos, is it possible i can use the denon to run the front 3 as a pre amp? so the marantz can take care of for the rest of the speakers? this will be my first time trying something like this.

·
Premium Member
87,946 Posts
hi guys i have a question i currently have denon x2100w and looking to buy marantz sr7009 now my set up will be 5.1.4 atmos, is it possible i can use the denon to run the front 3 as a pre amp? so the marantz can take care of for the rest of the speakers? this will be my first time trying something like this.
Yes, however, the X2100W would be the "amp" for the front 3 while the SR7009 would be the "pre-amp" for them.

2441 - 2460 of 3554 Posts