AVS Forum banner

2461 - 2480 of 3554 Posts

·
Premium Member
88,021 Posts
found the impedance graph for those speakers and looks like it goes from 3.2 to 16. will this sweat the sr7009?

As with any 4-ohm nominal speakers, it will depend on the volume level and size of your room. In a medium sized room and if only moderate volume levels are used, the SR7009 shouldn't have any problems at all powering these speakers. However, if you prefer louder volume levels for movie/music listening, the SR7009 "may" shut down in protection mode. I would suggest not worrying about an external amp until after you've had a chance to use the SR7009 amps on their own to see whether or not an external amp is required.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
...found the impedance graph for those speakers and looks like it goes from 3.2 to 16. will this sweat the sr7009?
There is a range of frequencies where the Chameleon T is effectively a 4 ohm load (approximately from 40Hz to 600Hz?), i.e. from bass to mid-range. Unfortunately this area covers a significant amount of the fundamental frequencies of both the male/female voices and a number of instruments according to this chart: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

If you don't plan on playing the Chameleon T at loud levels, the SR-7009 should be able to okay using bass management and off loading the low frequency reproduction to a more capable sub. It is these low frequency reproduction that require the most amount of power out of the amp.

As petetherock mentioned, might want to think about external amps if one is planning to use the Chameleon T with the SR-7009 in DIRECT/PURE DIRECT mode where the full range signals are sent to the front left and front right speakers and what to play them loud.

Edit: I see that jdsmoothie has replied with a good recommendation as well. :)

·
Registered
551 Posts
hi guys i have a question i currently have denon x2100w and looking to buy marantz sr7009 now my set up will be 5.1.4 atmos, is it possible i can use the denon to run the front 3 as a pre amp? so the marantz can take care of for the rest of the speakers? this will be my first time trying something like this.
I don't think what you want to do is possible, as the X2100W doesn't have PreIn connectivity :eek:
The best you can do is plug in using a stereo RCA, and power the 2 main speakers only, using "pure direct" mode.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I don't think what you want to do is possible, as the X2100W doesn't have PreIn connectivity :eek:
The best you can do is plug in using a stereo RCA, and power the 2 main speakers only, using "pure direct" mode.
what will be the cheapest option then? i can sell my x2100, obviously i can use the marantz 7009 alone in a 5.1.4 set up, but i thought powering the front 3 will reduce the stress on the 7009.

i dont want to spend alot, so if i can get it for about the same price as my denon i can sell for than that would be great. otherwise i will just use the 7009 on its own.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
what will be the cheapest option then? i can sell my x2100, obviously i can use the marantz 7009 alone in a 5.1.4 set up, but i thought powering the front 3 will reduce the stress on the 7009.

i dont want to spend alot, so if i can get it for about the same price as my denon i can sell for than that would be great. otherwise i will just use the 7009 on its own.
Try the following web app to determine if the power requirement of the Marantz SR-7009 is sufficient in 2 channel stereo mode: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html based on your speaker efficiency details, distance between the speakers and Main Listening Position (MLP) plus a few other factors. Target is to reach 105dB peak at the MLP.

If under stereo mode the SR-7009 has sufficient power, then most likely you're okay with using the internal amps for the 5.1.4 Atmos speaker configuration.

This is more so once you implement bass management on the SR-7009 and divert the high power demanding low frequency reproduction to the more capable subs. You can sell the Denon X2100 and use the proceeds on a multiple sub setup which will smooth out the bass in your room and improve overall sound quality.

·
Registered
167 Posts
hi guys i have a question i currently have denon x2100w and looking to buy marantz sr7009 now my set up will be 5.1.4 atmos, is it possible i can use the denon to run the front 3 as a pre amp? so the marantz can take care of for the rest of the speakers? this will be my first time trying something like this.
The Marantz can handle the 5.1.4 setup on it own.

·
Registered
95 Posts
it will depend on the volume level and size of your room.
room is 13x16 ft. speakers would go full range, no sub. i have neighbors, so probably no hardcore volume, but i like to listen to rock music, which must have at least "some" :p punch. as much as i like those sonus fabers, i'm beginning to think they are dedicated for more powerful amps. even if they turn out to work fine with sr7009 at moderate levels (marantz replied to me it should drive them without any issues), i'm afraid they will shorten the life of the avr by stressing and heating it more, and also, it's 2.0 for now, but when i add center and surrounds later, they will probably hog all the electricity from the avr. maybe i should pair the avr with klipsch rp-260f for now. they are the most effective speakers i've seen.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've run the Audessy 3 times now, and it always sets the front speakers to 150 hz, and the surrounds to 40hz?

Does anyone else have this issue? Should I leave it it change it?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Try the following web app to determine if the power requirement of the Marantz SR-7009 is sufficient in 2 channel stereo mode: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html based on your speaker efficiency details, distance between the speakers and Main Listening Position (MLP) plus a few other factors. Target is to reach 105dB peak at the MLP.

If under stereo mode the SR-7009 has sufficient power, then most likely you're okay with using the internal amps for the 5.1.4 Atmos speaker configuration.

This is more so once you implement bass management on the SR-7009 and divert the high power demanding low frequency reproduction to the more capable subs. You can sell the Denon X2100 and use the proceeds on a multiple sub setup which will smooth out the bass in your room and improve overall sound quality.
hi mate it is showing 105db at my mlp so will i need an external amp?

·
Premium Member
88,021 Posts
I've run the Audessy 3 times now, and it always sets the front speakers to 150 hz, and the surrounds to 40hz?

Does anyone else have this issue? Should I leave it it change it?
What speakers are you using? Where are they located? Are they toed in towards the main listening position? Are you using the cardboard mic stand or camera tripod to support the mic?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have the pioneer atmos tower speakers. There about 2 ft from the front wall and aimed towards the centre of the couch.
I am also using a tripod with the mic.

I ran all 8 positions during the setup as well.

Should I just turn them all to 80hz?

I am using 2 subs also.

·
Premium Member
88,021 Posts
I have the pioneer atmos tower speakers. There about 2 ft from the front wall and aimed towards the centre of the couch.
I am also using a tripod with the mic.

I ran all 8 positions during the setup as well.

Should I just turn them all to 80hz?

I am using 2 subs also.
No, you should never lower the crossover as anything below the crossover has not been EQ'd. The 150Hz crossover sounds more like what the Atmos upward firing speaker should be set at. Did you just use speaker wire connected to the upward firing speaker or also to the main FL/FR speaker posts as well? Are you using 4 identical tower speakers?

·
Registered
71 Posts
No, you should never lower the crossover as anything below the crossover has not been EQ'd. The 150Hz crossover sounds more like what the Atmos upward firing speaker should be set at. Did you just use speaker wire connected to the upward firing speaker or also to the main FL/FR speaker posts as well? Are you using 4 identical tower speakers?
Oh, my fault. This is what I get for staying up late to hook this up after a long days work.

I just had the pre-out rca cables into the power amp backwards!:(

:rolleyes: at least it was something simple.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
hi mate it is showing 105db at my mlp so will i need an external amp?
Hi kopmjj,

If you have sub(s) and implement bass management feature of the SR-7009 so that the low frequencies (crossover at say 80Hz or above) are being reproduced by the more capable sub(s), then you're good to go with the internal amps of the SR-7009.

Place the volume limit (under Audio ---> Volume ---> to 80 or 0dB) for the SR-7009 so it never exceed reference level. Reference level is considered very loud by most people and to protect one's hearing it is better to place a limit on SPL. I have done this on the SR-7009.

To get an extra +3dB in SPL would require 2X the amp power.

·
Registered
3,384 Posts
Interesting post from SteveH in the Denon AVR-X7200WA thread on comparing the pre-amp section of the X7200WA vs. the HDAM of the SR-7009. SteveH also had a listen to the higher end pre/pro models in the 2014 Marantz line up.

Wondering what I'm missing out on by going with the SR-7009 vs. the AV-7702 pre/pro?:eek:

·
Registered
551 Posts
Not really surprised by his conclusion when using PreOuts : 8802 > 7702 > Denon 7200 > 7009.
Still the differences are not huge, and if you take price into account, then the 7009 makes a lot of sense ;)

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Hello all,

I am currently trying to setup my 7.2.4 atmos system at the moment but I am confused about my options when it comes to using the pre out.

My external amp is not very powerful so I want it to power my rear surround speakers but looking through the amp assign menu I looks as if my only option is to pre out the top rear speakers?

I can't do this as my external amp is not powerful enough to power my ceiling speakers.

Can I use the 9.1 assign mode and select 4 height speakers?

Upon viewing the terminal config it shows no Pre outs highlighted, I have connected my rear surrounds to the corresponding pre out and it seems to be working but is this correct?

Does the sr7009 send sound to all the pre out terminals in this mode?

·
Premium Member
88,021 Posts
Hello all,

I am currently trying to setup my 7.2.4 atmos system at the moment but I am confused about my options when it comes to using the pre out.

My external amp is not very powerful so I want it to power my rear surround speakers but looking through the amp assign menu I looks as if my only option is to pre out the top rear speakers?

I can't do this as my external amp is not powerful enough to power my ceiling speakers.

Can I use the 9.1 assign mode and select 4 height speakers?

Upon viewing the terminal config it shows no Pre outs highlighted, I have connected my rear surrounds to the corresponding pre out and it seems to be working but is this correct?

Does the sr7009 send sound to all the pre out terminals in this mode?
1. If your external amp is strong enough to power the Surround Back speakers, it's strong enough for your height speakers. And as you note, you cannot expand the AVR from 9CH --> 11 CH using the Surround Back speakers.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
If your external amp is strong enough to power the Surround Back speakers, it's strong enough for your height speakers. And as you note, you cannot expand the AVR from 9CH --> 11 CH using the Surround Back speakers.
Well my rear surrounds are MA Radius 90's and the ceiling speakers are MA CT280-IDC I would of thought the my Marantz PM5005 would struggle to power the CT280-IDC with it having more and bigger drivers.

I have connected my rear surrounds to the pre out and am getting sound out the rear surrounds, the test tone is also emitted and audyssey test tones.

2461 - 2480 of 3554 Posts