AVS Forum banner

3161 - 3180 of 3554 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Video Drop Outs. I experience random video drop outs when watching cable tv. Video will go to black for about 1 sec, then return. Audio sometimes drops out, sometimes not- but there is a brief hiccup. Problem is random. Several times in an hour, then nothing for several hours or days. From looking at the thread history it seems that others have experienced the same problem, but no consensus cause or cure....

My setup is Comcast cable --> Comcast/Xfinity box--> HDMI to SR7009 --> HDMI to Samsung LCD The receiver is set up to manage all video sources.

I just stumbled across this post (yes, I know it's a few months old), but I was experiencing this same problem with my setup, and wasn't sure if it was my Marantz 7009 or my Comcast / Xfinity box...

but, oddly enough, I recently wall mounted my TV (previously sitting on top of the tv stand) and don't recall having this problem since (about a month ago), which would lend credibility to the hdmi cable's theory... are you still having problems? or were you able to identify / resolve the problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
No video output during airplay music on Marantz sr7009

I have the Marantz SR7009 and iPhone 6s Plus. When playing music via airplay the music art came on the tv with the controls too. I got the receiver ui too if I wanted.

Now there's no video and far as I know nothing's changed. Music still works fine but no video. No receiver ui. No nothing.

What gives :((((((((

Thanks.

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
AVR's with Airplay are audio only. All of them. If you want to stream video with Airplay you need to add an Apple TV.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I never said stream video.

When you airplay the album cover shows on the tv as do the playback controls. And you see the vol on screen when you change it. And you can bring up the receiver ui.

None of this happens now. The receiver totally loses connection to the tv. And it's weird cus this just started to happen.

·
Registered
28,457 Posts
^^Have you tried doing a processor reset? You'll lose all your calibration and input settings but it might resolve your problem.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
No I haven't even thought of that. Good idea. Fortunately there's nothing to lose as I haven't calibrated or done anything since I moved.
But then I have no idea how to reset it.
Thank u so much for the question/suggestion.

·
Premium Member
87,948 Posts
Network reset

No I haven't even thought of that. Good idea. Fortunately there's nothing to lose as I haven't calibrated or done anything since I moved.
But then I have no idea how to reset it.
Thank u so much for the question/suggestion.
The first troubleshooting step to perform would be a "soft reset" which simply involves powering off the AVR, pulling the power cord and HDMI cable connecting the AVR to the TV for 10 minutes. Doing this involves no loss of settings.

If still no joy, then you can perform a "Network reset" which requires pressing/holding the "MOVIE" and "MUSIC" buttons on the front panel for about 5 seconds while powering on the AVR.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Thanks JD. It turned out to be that the Oppo only supports DSD over HDMI on its second output. Hooked up another cable to the HDMI CD input and there it is.

I'm impressed with this receiver so far (after 2 days). All the wrinkles I've run into so far turned out to be due to the connected equipment and I've managed to resolve. Even the widely panned remote app is better than I expected.
I have a Marantz SR7009. I am trying an SACD with an Oppo BDP-103D. It has Stereo and 5.0 DSD. I have bass management on, not PureDirect mode, because it's an organ SACD, so I need the subwoofer.

I quoted the above because I am using HDMI 1, and the Marantz confirms it is receiving DSD. Maybe the 103D is different from the 103/105 in that respect? Even the Oppo site says I have to use HDMI2.

But the Marantz says "DSD" as the audio source. If I set it to direct, it even says "DSD Direct". So I figure I must be getting it over HDMI 1...??

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have a Marantz SR7009. I am trying an SACD with an Oppo BDP-103D. It has Stereo and 5.0 DSD. I have bass management on, not PureDirect mode, because it's an organ SACD, so I need the subwoofer.

I quoted the above because I am using HDMI 1, and the Marantz confirms it is receiving DSD. Maybe the 103D is different from the 103/105 in that respect? Even the Oppo site says I have to use HDMI2.

But the Marantz says "DSD" as the audio source. If I set it to direct, it even says "DSD Direct". So I figure I must be getting it over HDMI 1...??
Sorry I guess this is more of an Oppo question... but if anyone knows what's up I won't mind being told :) I started the question in here because I thought DSD streaming was having issues with pops/squeaks. Turned out it was the recording itself, it happened on all formats on the SACD (DSD and PCM, 2.0 and 5.0)

·
Registered
574 Posts
thank you for your reply it has worked in HDMI 2 but only limited to 88.2khz not full data of 2.8! if it matters i am running only 1 HDMI cable for both video and audio.
I also had a question on this comment. How does one know it is limited to 88.2 kHz? Where in the SR7009 displays (on screen or front of unit) does it show the rate of DSD being received?

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Marantz 7009 Reference MV Setting

Is 0db on the MV considered Reference? I have the volume setting scale set to -79.5db to 18db. Thanks in advance for any reply.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Already posted in Denon thread, but unfortunately still cannot PM

@mecmec

I have a question since I saw you had Denon 4520 at some point, then moved on to Marantz SR7009 and so on.

I'm looking at used AVRs, can get these 2 at the same price. Primary focus is stereo listening, with 5.1 for movies. Not sure I would in the future go for Atmos (it's not a dedicated HT room but a living room).

What would you recommend? My concern is all the stuff I read about heating issues on Denon, while Marantz does not seem to be having any (as I don't plan on replacing the unit any time soon, maybe Marantz would be a better choice reliability-wise)?

Thanks in advance for any comment!

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
The 4520 would be my choice for stereo only, but I would still invest in a active cooling system for either. A couple of squirrel cage fans are cheap protection for whatever avr you go with....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks a lot - care to elaborate your experience/impressions? Reading some posts I was under the impression that people preferred SR7009 for stereo music listening and 4520 for HT surround...

·
Registered
14,848 Posts
Already posted in Denon thread, but unfortunately still cannot PM

@mecmec

I have a question since I saw you had Denon 4520 at some point, then moved on to Marantz SR7009 and so on.

I'm looking at used AVRs, can get these 2 at the same price. Primary focus is stereo listening, with 5.1 for movies. Not sure I would in the future go for Atmos (it's not a dedicated HT room but a living room).

What would you recommend? My concern is all the stuff I read about heating issues on Denon, while Marantz does not seem to be having any (as I don't plan on replacing the unit any time soon, maybe Marantz would be a better choice reliability-wise)?

Thanks in advance for any comment!
Marantz' hardware has essentially same design as Denon's, so they have exactly the same heating problems. Maybe people just don't bother writing about it. Either they need lots of open space (several inches on all sides) or they need external fans.

3161 - 3180 of 3554 Posts