AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbe to HT and all the bits that go with it. After many nights looking and scratching the head I have come down to two receivers for my system. I would love to go higher but at around $2500nz ($1250US) each over here (Mr middle man is doing well) I had to draw the line somewhere.

Anyway The two units are:

Marantz SR7300 and the Denon AVR-2802 (I see the new 2803 is on the way but can't find any info on it)

My question is: How do these two Receivers stack up against each other in reguards to build quality, real volume and music vs HT modes.

I would use them about 80% for HT and 20% for music. Also Are both units HDTV ready. I have heard that just having component ins and outs isn't everything and bandwdiths can be a prob. Hope that makes sence.

Speaker decisions Still to come So any Hints on those would be very welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was in your shoes about a month ago...trying to decide which "middle ground" receiver would do the trick for me with no buyer's remorse.

While I did not spend much time looking at the Denon models, I can tell you what I did get.

I settled on the Marantz SR7300 after looking at comparable Pioneer, Yamaha, Onkyo, Integra, and Denon models.

To me it sounded the best and has enough features without going overboard with sound stage processing (ahem, yamaha).

It's a quality built piece from a great company. The remote is nothing to rave about but it gets the job done.

The convenience of bass management on this model is also a nice feature.

I don't believe the bandwidth on the marantz is the best I've ever heard of (by numbers) myself and others see no degradation of quality if running a feed through the processor, so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

A few other things I liked about this model were the 7.1 inputs, dual-room capability, software upgrade-ability through the RS-232 port, and it's manufactured in Japan (better build quality than China).

The SR7300 also possesses most features of the SR8200 while also solving the few complaints poeple had about the 8200 (lag time in source switching, for one).

I'd say you can't go wrong with it. But that's just my $.02.

Listen to both and trust your ears, not mine.

By the way, The B&W 600 series is a great speaker match to the Marantz line (for us "middle men"). :D

Good luck in your decision.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Seanrmc.

I am leaning that way myself. Sadly I have no way of listening to both before buying. Hence my problem. I am a fan of B&W but have also been looking at Mission and Wharfedale (Wharfedale seem to have fixed some of their probs. Speakers are one thing I can listen too before buying.

Thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.