AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a Marantz SR7400 yesterday and the remote is pretty cool, but there is one thing that annoys the crap out of me. When I have the remote in TV mode, the volume +/- buttons on the remote send volume +/- commands to the TV. I can see why maybe it would make sense to do that, but I'd much rather it just send the volume +/- to the amp.

When I'm watching TV, I've got to switch the remote out of TV mode to change the volume and then back to TV mode to do everything else. To me that sucks. Maybe there is some way to fix this but I haven't figured it out. I've got a Sony TV and my old Sony receiver remote had two sets of volume buttons on it. The main volume buttons always controlled the AMP and the secondary volume controls sent volume commands to other components. I wish the SR7400 remote did the same thing.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you know of a solution?

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Don't know about the Marantz specifically, But...

Every receiver or pre/pro I've used had that (volume controls AVR or TV) as an user selectable feature. Have you read the manual to see if this is the case???

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read most of the manual and so far I haven't found any setting like that. I'll keep looking...

If anyone else has experience specifically with the Marantz, that would be great.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I too have found the remote frustrating at times, for instance I pre-programmed my cabletv box, but when I went to add additional functions it said it couldn't read the signal/memory was full (the ones built in work fine), I noticed this too when i use the tv input, the main thing i wish over anything else, was that I could assign one pre-programmed code to a different 'input',

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I love the remote much easier than my rotel, or yamaha remotes. The rotel did the same thing. You just have to make it a habit to push the amp button after playing with the tv settings.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That is true that you can use channel +/- to change the tv channel in amp mode, but when I'm watching tv I like to have the ability to use the previous channel button as well as to enter direct channel numbers which necessitates going to tv mode on the remote.

What I am thinking I can do is use another remote that knows marantz codes to teach my remote the amp volume +/- codes in TV mode. Unfortunately, I have to borrow a friends remote or go to the dealer to accomplish that.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The feature you're looking for is "punch-through" volume control for your amp. That is, the volume control on the remote will control the amp volume, no matter the remote's setting at the time (TV, DVD, etc.)

My Marantz RC1200 (ancestor to the 1400) has a "copy" function, where you can copy a command to another button. You may be able to do this with the 1400 remote so you can change the amp's volume while in TV mode.

Failing that, take the remote to your Marantz dealer, set it on "Learn" for TV volume, and teach it the volume code from another Marantz remote set on AMP.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.