AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really don't know what High Definition Amplication Modules on my Marantz do for me. Can anyone help me? I'm starting to set up my HT and was trying to figure out what components I can feed through this receiver into my Panasonic 300 projector. I was hoping to be able to pump progressive DVD, Xbox and possibly a HD satellite receiver (probably not) through it instead of a bunch of wires directly to the projector. Does HDAM mean the receiver supports Hi Def video content? Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
HDAM=Discrete circuitry to replace IC op-amps with low-noise independent components and short signal paths. They preserve the dynamic structure of music so that even vulnerable high frequencies are translated accurately. The result is an effortlessly dynamic sound that is both expressive and detailed. Vanishingly low noise and maximum signal output purity in stages offer a wide bandwidth, extremely fast slew rate and exceptional dynamic range.

As you see, HDAM is related to audio, not video.

The SR8000 lacks component video inputs/outputs thus no progressive dvd. Must go straight to pj from your DVD player. You can switch S-Video and Composite Video thru it. So, if you have an S-Video cable for your X-Box you can run it thru the SR8000.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by create
The SR8000 lacks component video inputs/outputs thus no progressive dvd. Must go straight to pj from your DVD player. You can switch S-Video and Composite Video thru it. So, if you have an S-Video cable for your X-Box you can run it thru the SR8000.
Thank you so much for the HDAM primer. I think I understand your suggestion to run Prog. DVD video thru to the projector directly but should I run DVD audio to the Marantz through the composite input? I can connect the Xbox to the marantz through RCA cables (or an S-Video cable).

By the way, if I want to connect a Satellite HD receiver to the projector. How does that happen? Does the HD receiver output audio to the Marantz and video to the projector?

Is it possible to connect the prog. DVD, Xbox, HD receiver all at once to the projector and Marantz? What would that hookup look like?

Sorry for the newbie questions. Any help is much appreciated.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Basically, you can run all your video straight to the projector and your audio through the receiver. The trade off may be (maybe not) audio sync problems in long cable runs but more technically competent can comment on this!

Prog DVD - Needs component video cables and the SR8000 doesn't have in/out component connections. A) Use S-Video connection thru SR8000 to the pj. B) For best video quality run component video cables direct to the pj component inputs. In either case, for audio you can use standard RCA interconnect or for better quality digital -coax or optical- on the SR8000. DVD-A I think your SOL because you need seperate analog cables for each channel and I don't think SR8000 has the inputs for them.

SAT RECEIVER - If you already own one then it limits connections (possibly). If you still need to buy one, make sure you match the connections you have available. The SR8000 will take in S-Video and put out S-Video. Same for composite video. No component video. And your PJ (Assuming PTL-300U) has a DVI connection that is NOT HDCP compatible. You have to feed HDTV signal into the pj via Component or VGA ports. In either case, the SR8000 is out of the loop video-wise but you still connect audio cables through it.

X-BOX -- Depending on choices made above, you can choose your X-Box connection. Remember, you can connect a number of S-Video inputs in the SR8000 and need only one single S-Video cable out to the pj.

SOOooo, a possible solution is:

-- Prog DVD via component video cable direct to PJ, coax or optical audio cable to the SR8000.

-- Sat HD via VGA cable direct to pj. Audio into the SR8000.

-- XBox via S-Video and Audio into SR8000. (Needs S-Video from SR8000 output to pj.)

How would that 'look like' I take to mean asthetically. Well, I think wires are cool - especially nice fat ones sheathed in fancy high tech material with gold connectors! Seriously, (I was serious :) ) at worst you have a single wire S-Video connection, a 3 wire Component Video connection and a single wire VGA connection. 5 wires from your 'center' to the pj. Your decision on how that looks! Gimme them fancy wires .. . .

For research follow this link :

http://www.crutchfield.com/infocente...3ljr1dRG/home/

http://www.projectorcentral.com/panasonic_pt_l300u.htm

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.