AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a Marantz SR8002. If I hit the switch on the back to enable biamping for the fronts, it disables the rears altogether. Am I missing something or is it not possible to use the rears while biamping the fronts?

·
Registered
434 Posts
If you are running a 5.1 setup, your rear speakers should be hooked up to the L & R Surround channels on the 8002, not the ones marked "Surround Back". I've bi-amped with a SR-5003 and 5.1 no problems.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37th /forum/post/19638386

Ah, ok. Why doesn't it just use the surrounds channels when biamping instead?

Because surround channels are common to 5.1 and 7.1, back speakers are 7.1 only so more likely "disposable" for other purposes such as biamping or zone 2.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by petern /forum/post/19638373

If you are running a 5.1 setup, your rear speakers should be hooked up to the L & R Surround channels on the 8002, not the ones marked "Surround Back". I've bi-amped with a SR-5003 and 5.1 no problems.

That's part of the confusion. There aren't rear speakers in 5.1. there are surround speakers. Back (or rear) speakers are 7.1 territory.

Surround speaker placement should be to the sides or slighly behind the listening area (and is the same for 5.1 or 7.1), not distinctly behind the listening area.

·
Registered
434 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/21283502

That's part of the confusion. There aren't rear speakers in 5.1. there are surround speakers. Back (or rear) speakers are 7.1 territory.

Surround speaker placement should be to the sides or slighly behind the listening area (and is the same for 5.1 or 7.1), not distinctly behind the listening area.

It was clear enough to the OP a year ago, but thanks for clearing that up.

·
Registered
245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoaru99 /forum/post/21283502

Ditto this. When I moved from improperly placed surrounds in a 5.1 system to properly placed surrounds in a 7.1 system, the correct placement of the surrounds made much more difference than the addition of the rears.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts