AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 5002 does not decode the latest surround formats. But I have a Panny BD35 Blu Ray Player which does the decoding when set to PCM. So I am not missing out on that. I just don't have the pretty indicator lights on my 5002, only the PCM indicator. Also, the 5002 does not have Audyssey. That is a none issue for me. I think Audyssey is a joke. I know how to use an SPL meter and a tape measure. So what sonic gains would I realize with an 8002 over a 5002, if both were hooked up to the same external amp? They both possess that same wonderful Marantz sound. Also, I do not need any additional HDMI connections that the 8002 would provide. I have pondered upgrading to the 8002 in the past, and cannot see any significant reason to rationalize the "upgrade". Also I have not had a single issue with the 5002. I see on the forums that the 7002 and 8002 have had significant firmware issues. So my question is- what does the 8002 have to offer me that I am not getting from the 5002? Especially considering I am using external amplification.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.