AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know they are not quite in the same price category. What does anyone think of the Marantz? I have not seen many postings on them. They certainly don't seem to be discounted at the places like crazyeddie.

The Marantz seems to have great reviews - even better than the 5803 Denon (At least by HomeTheather Mag.) Also got a good review by Perfect Vision. It has a RS232 port.

I could care less about the 6.1 and 7.1 capabilities. I want great sound (prefer a brighter one - due to my age) and one with great center channel voices)

Damn - so hard to make decisions. I had almost settled on the 3803

Thanks

Reggie

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
I used to be a Denonite (prev 2 receivers)and purchased the SR8200 just over 6 months ago. Now at 1st I wondered if I made the right choice as it sounded a bit harsh but over time everything came into place. I listen to a lot of DVD concerts and recently started getting into DVD-Audio....when someone mentions Marantz receivers are "musical", I nod my head in agreement. I love the sound of this receiver and altho I dont use all the extras, Source-Direct and Circle Surround are some of the nice features.

The touch screen LCD remote is a welcome addition as well as supplying enough inputs for most people (even optical on ft panel). It is big (43lbs and almost 19"deep) but that just adds to the "audio-macho" attitude;)

Yosh70

·
Registered
360 Posts
reggie, if you decide you want the marantz, you might be interested in checking it out at ac4l.com. they are selling this model refurbished by the manufacturer for $999. they are an authorized dealer with a valid 1 year warranty for the 8200. my buddy bought a marantz mm9000 5 channel amp refurbed from them recently. it looked as good as new to me. i have heard mostly good feedback from people buying thru them. i was actually considering ordering this even though i really don't need it ( i have a 2 year old onkyo tx-ds777 already ). this deal is just hard to pass up! i guess i have a constant case of "upgrade-itis".

good luck deciding.............paul

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ptt660 - that is a great price

Once I confirm my account has been credited with the two defective Sony AVD -C70ES receivers from OneCall I will act on this.

Reggie

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Reggie,

I was thinking the same thing when I bought my receiver. Marantz or Denon. I narrowed it down to one question, did I want more functionality (features) or did I want a better sound (to my ears any way). The Denon had more bells and whistles. Ones that I would might even use. The Marantz on the other hand, seemed to be more of a bare bones receiver. It had only what I really wanted, or thought I must have.

After listening to them both I felt the Marantz was a nicer sound. It was clear, crisp, powerful, but not harsh. I thought it just sounded a little better than the denon (which aslo sounded good).

One other thing I thought of was that this wouldn't be the last receiver I would buy. Some day it would occupy either a listening room, office, bedroom, or workout room. I knew that I wouldn't need a ton of functionality in those places, but better sound would be great, so I went with the Marantz.

I have never looked back and I stand by my decision. I love my Marantz and will continue to look at their products every time I make a new purchase.

I love the denon stuff too though, and would never make a decision without checking them out as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.