AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think it's their own build. It is not the same as the Sharp.

Here's some info from previous posts:

Chip: 1280x720 DMD 0.8"

Colorwheel: RGBRGB at 2.5x

Contrast: 1100:1

Deinterlacer: Faroudja/Sage/DCDi/3-2 pull-down

Lamp: 150W SHP/2000h/double sealed

Fan noise: 32 dB

Lens: 1.2x zoom, f 26.5-30.7/F 3.0

Screen Range: 40-250 inches diagonal

Throwing distance (16:9)in feet:

40": 4.3-4.9

80": 8.5-9.8

100: 10.8-12.5

120: 12.8-12.1

200: 21.6-24.9

Color system: NTSC/PAL/SECAM

Acceptable video signals: 480i/480p/720p/1080i

Acceptable PC signals: VGA/SVGA/XGA

1 i.Link DV (Firwire/IEEE1394) input (!) (HDCP?)

1 RCAx3 component input

1 S-VHS input

1 RCAx1 composite input

1 D-SUB15 VGA input

1 RS-232

12V trigger

Size (WxHxD)in inches: 16.2x6.2x18.8

Weight:27 pounds

Color: Silver

3 Picture Modes: Theater, Standard, and Dynamic

9 user memory functions

3 Color temperature settings: 5250K,6500K,and 9000K

Black level adjustment: IRE 0 and IRE 7.5

List price in Japan: 980,000 yen (Sharp: 898,000 yen)

Release in Japan: Nov 2001

The only new info I have is:

- it is supposed to accept the 540p output of a DTC-100

- the 1394 port is NOT HDCP compliant (this however does not make sense to me. Why have the port?)

- there should be a way to bypass the internal scaler.

Paul

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi,

I read in a German HT report, that the Marantz is built by Plus. Brightness is stated about 600/700 ANSI Lumens.

:confused: Does anybody know, if the Marantz is ready for PAL576p ? I mailed Marantz, but no answer :mad: - so I assume NO PAL-PS.

Walter

·
Registered
121 Posts
The Marantz VP-12S1 is different in the US than it is in Japan. The US version has less brightness, (700 Ansi Lumens) and a contrast ratio of 1300:1. It uses Minolta optics and has a Faroudja NR scaler built in. It will be far better than the Sharp in all respects except brightness. The Sharp suffers from a poor scaler that does not autodetect film sources and has a throw distance that IMHO is too long. I don't know who mentioned the Sharp scaler is very good, but it sure will not beat a Faroudja NR. The projector is scheduled for release late this month/early December. Did I mention the 3-year warranty?

Steve

·
Registered
168 Posts
stevehifi,

> The Sharp suffers from a poor scaler that does not autodetect film sources and has a throw distance that IMHO is too long. I don't know who mentioned the Sharp scaler is very good, but it sure will not beat a Faroudja NR.

I'm assuming you've seen them side by side, because I can't imagine the Marantz is that far ahead. I'm surprised you thought the 9000 scaler was 'poor'- which material did you see problems on?

I don't know about beating the Faroudja, but it probably isn't that far behind it. An autodetect mode would be nice, but hasn't been much of a problem so far.

The Marantz throw was too short for our HT (due to a bit of drop ceiling for ducts, to get the right screen size it would have had to hang under the drop), the Sharp is just right. :) Really more a setup issue, though the longer throw is supposed to result in a more even picture from what I've read.

Anyway, just my biased $.02 - I just got the Sharp and couldn't be happier. Ask me how I feel in a year when I'm out of warranty. ;)

-Step

·
Registered
141 Posts
stevehifi,

How do you know the Marantz VP-12S1 will be far better than the Sharp? Did you or someone you know see it, or did you just read the same Marantz press release that I did? Either way, I hope the Marantz is far better than the Sharp, which would be a huge accomplishment.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi,

I don't expect the Marantz to be a big improvement over the Sharp. The CIVIC deinterlacer ist the best internal video-processor in every proj. until now! A member of a German HT-forum reported that the CIVIC betters the PS option of his Proceed PMDT! :) Also Don Stewart reported about the excellent quality of the CIVIC.

So, why I am interested in the Marantz? First of all it is the short throw lense - important for my room. The second advantage is the sealed optics - similar to SIM's.

Interesting is also the dig. Firewire Input. But how connect a dig. video-signal ( DVI ) ? :confused:

It will be a compliment for the Marantz IMHO to be as good as the Sharp. If the unit is better, no problem :cool: .

Walter

·
Registered
141 Posts
Walter,

I'm with you on the Marantz's shorter throw, since my application also requires it. Also, if the Marantz is really only 100 ASNI dimmer than the Sharp, it could still be a real contender if the optics and scaler are better. At this point, I'd be happy if it's only as good as the Sharp.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Does anyone have any previous experience with Marantz projectors?

Any idea if this thing will be good to go from day 1, or will we be likely waiting for a firmware update?

I've got a Sony 11HT at home right now, and it is nice, but the Marantz has a few options that are very enticing. The Sony is very easy to use and everything works as advertised.

Paul

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
I'm assuming you've seen them side by side, because I can't imagine the Marantz is that far ahead. I'm surprised you thought the 9000 scaler was 'poor'- which material did you see problems on?
I think the internal scaler is quite poor on satellite signals, something I watch quite a bit of. I have had an LT150 that was quite a bit more pleasing to the eye on Directv than the 9000.

Quote:
How do you know the Marantz VP-12S1 will be far better than the Sharp?
I actually have quite a bit of experience with the Sharp and I have seen the Marantz in action. I have used the Sharp for the last 2 months in my theater and have been quite pleased in its HD capabilities and DVD playback. I also have a computer hooked up and have satisfied with this as well. I do have a couple of minor complaints that I believe the Marantz will alleviate. 1. Sub-par satellite image - I believe the Marantz scaler with Faroudja de-interlacer and scaling chips will be better, but I will reserve judgment until I have them next to each other, hopefully in about 3 weeks. 2. Long throw distance - Many rooms do not facilitate the placement of the projector as far back as the Sharp necessitates. 3. Short warranty - The Marantz comes with a 3-year warranty. The Marantz will also have higher contrast ratio, firewire input, and Minolta optics, all should contribute to a better picture than the Sharp. I can't imagine anyone arguing that the Sharp has the specs that would vault it over the quality of the Marantz or the Seleco, and its lower price seems to substantiate that claim. Only time will tell, I'll be sure to post an extensive comparison as soon as the Marantz arrives.

PS. Anyone else using the Sharp ceiling bracket with this pj? This has got to be the cheesiest POS I have ever installed. There is one point of adjustment for this 24lb projector. It is nearly impossible to cinch tight the mount without moving the projector from where it is currently adjusted. I hope Premier Mounts comes out with a new design since I really don't like this one.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
The Marantz does look promising..and I do like the 3 year warranty...however its short throw is a plus and a minus depending on the installation.

Personally I really like the Sharp 9000. I like its internal scaler and can be perfectly happy with it right out of the box. I beleive the Marantz will yield similar results.

Sharp cetainly has been the first out of the gate with this HD chip..but they (Sharp as a company) seem to be getting the so-called (drunk with success) attitude. I know that Marantz and others will not be far behind.....but currently this is the first projector (z9000) that I would be willing to pay full retail for....

Regards,

john

·
Registered
121 Posts
Quote:
Steve I take it you will sell the Sharp since you don't like it so much?
Yes, I go through projectors at home quite rapidly since I like to try out the newest kid on the block. I'll be selling the Sharp as soon as the Marantz comes in and I have a chance to compare the two.

Steve

·
Registered
141 Posts
stevehifi,

Where did you see the Marantz in action? How large was the screen? Did the image seem close to as bright as the Sharp? Did the contrast seem superior to the Sharp? Was the menu as good as the Sharp? How about the remote, was it back-lit?

I emailed the Marantz national training manager a couple of questions about the new Marantz and here is his reply:

"It is a complete, from the ground up Marantz product. We are a licensed DLP engine manufacturer. Our previous DLP projectors used a Plus DLP engine, that's all. I don't know about the Sharp's bulb, or how they rate it. Our projector will not be as bright, however, we kill them in contrast ratio (which is much more important with regards to video viewing in a controlled ambient light environment).

Dealers should have them in stock around the first week in December (we hope)."

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.