AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was able to purchase a used Marantz vp-15s1 for a irresistible price. The problem I have is I really wanted a projector that is more portable would I be better off selling this projector and buying a optoma or Epson or is it ok if I occasionally move this projector for a outdoor theater. The other problem that I have is I have no idea what the settings should be for this projector I have not been able to come across much info on this projector. Does anyone have some standard settings I should try or would I be better off just selling this projector that seems to be way out of my league. Thanks for any input

·
Registered
23,131 Posts
That's a great machine, I'd hold on to it personally. As far as moving, aside from the inconvenience (large size) I can't think of any problems it would cause relative to a smaller machine.

As far as settings, there are no "standard" settings for any projector (one projector's calibration can never be trusted to be correct on another). My advice would be to burn a copy of the AVS709 test disc (or pick up Digital Video Essentials or similar) and run through the basic (brightness/contrast) calibration settings. I'd expect the Marantz to through a quite accurate picture out of the box.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick replies. I have no doubt that it is a great projector but one other thing that does concern me is that the cheapest lamp I have been able to find is more then 700 dollars which is more then double what I paid for the projector.

·
Registered
6,372 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwk2002 /forum/post/20779459

Thanks for the quick replies. I have no doubt that it is a great projector but one other thing that does concern me is that the cheapest lamp I have been able to find is more then 700 dollars which is more then double what I paid for the projector.

I would not be to upset at that.. means you paid about $300 .. Please PM me if you want to sell it!

·
Registered
13,752 Posts
wow..was something wrong with it to get it that cheap? one just sold recent on ebay 2k and I thought that was a good price.

if you look around, there should be lamp only replacements where you swap the lamp into the existing housing for much less than the original. Look in the Marantz threads here (you can search for them), someone is likely talking about less expensive replacements.

It was a top of the line for it's time in 2007-2008 with high quality konica optics.

It wasn't exactly a light cannon though so outdoor cinema use might be limited. You can pick up cheap 720P DLP's with 3000 lumens that are perfect for outdoor setups.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only thing wrong is it is missing the remote so I can't see how many hours are on the bulb or projector itself. The difference between this and a optoma gt720 that I bought 4 days ago is huge. I'm trying to talk the wife onto letting me keep both and use the optoma for moving around. Would the Epson 8350 be comparable to the Marantz if it is I may consider selling the Marantz and returning the optoma.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwk2002 /forum/post/20779770

Only thing wrong is it is missing the remote so I can't see how many hours are on the bulb or projector itself. The difference between this and a optoma gt720 that I bought 4 days ago is huge. I'm trying to talk the wife onto letting me keep both and use the optoma for moving around. Would the Epson 8350 be comparable to the Marantz if it is I may consider selling the Marantz and returning the optoma.

I bet somebody here would buy you an 8350 to trade with you.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
WOW...I have been looking for one of these and to read this thread I am going to be sick now. That's an unbelievable price. Sounds like you need a LED qumi projector rated at 30,000 hours and is portable. I guess I will trade you my qumi for your Marantz 15S1.

Mike

·
Registered
114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwk2002 /forum/post/20779459

Just call Jason at AVS, he will sell you a lamp for much less than $700.

I've owned a 15S1 for the last couple of years and it's a great machine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input on the bulb. After setting up and watching a few movies this past weekend I think I may end up keeping this projector. THe pq is excellent and I am still just using a 4-8 wood panel painted with silver screen paint. Does anyone have any recommendations on a cheap screen that would work well with this projector. The room I am using for the time being is my unfinished basement that I can completely control the light in. I would really prefer to do a diy just because of cost and that I am trying to save to finish the basement. Once I finish the basement I will purchase a better screen but for the time being I just would like something to make the most out of this projector. I now have the projector hung about 18 feet away from the screen and am not using any zoom. I would like the screen between 120 and 130 If that is possible with the projector while maintaining good pq. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks again.

·
Banned
9,076 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwk2002 /forum/post/20798646

Thanks for the input on the bulb. After setting up and watching a few movies this past weekend I think I may end up keeping this projector. THe pq is excellent and I am still just using a 4-8 wood panel painted with silver screen paint. Does anyone have any recommendations on a cheap screen that would work well with this projector. The room I am using for the time being is my unfinished basement that I can completely control the light in. I would really prefer to do a diy just because of cost and that I am trying to save to finish the basement. Once I finish the basement I will purchase a better screen but for the time being I just would like something to make the most out of this projector. I now have the projector hung about 18 feet away from the screen and am not using any zoom. I would like the screen between 120 and 130 If that is possible with the projector while maintaining good pq. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks again.

120 to 130 is too large of a screen for that projector unless you get a screen with a little gain. With a new lamp and a 120" 1.0 gain screen you should get almost 15FL using long throw and economy lamp setting. For the same conditions except for normal lamp mode you only get 17.9FL. This means using a 120" 1.0 gain screen, at about 1,000 hours you will only get 9.5FL. These figures are based on calibrated D65 lumens. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...9#post11788629

If you want a large screen with this projector, I would use something like the Dalite HP screen and an adjustable mount. Use the mount up higher (to reduce gain) while the lamp is new and lower projector once the image looses too much brightness. You could also use a filter to cut the lumens while the lamp is new. Personally, I would use a 110" screen with around 1.2 or 1.3 gain. The image that a 15S1 throws is very good, just don't go too large for the projector.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the VP15S1 and it has about 1700 hours on the original bulb. I am using a Da-Lite HCCV screen that is 120in. The gain is 1.3 I believe. The picture is great, very good contrast and still pretty bright. I have had a few other projectors in the theater but none was a sharp of an image as the Marantz. That includes a couple of the JVC offerings which surprised the owners of them with the contrast and overall image quality oh the Marantz. Myself also because I was thinking of getting one of them because of their excellent contrast but in reality the picture thrown by the 15S1 is simply still stunning and I am not looking anymore for at least a couple of years.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.