AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a Marantz VP11s1 for 18 months now. should i upgrade to JVC RS35. I do not have the privilege of having a demo of the projectors as I live in a remote area.

If not the JVC then which unit is suggested for wherein I can see a substantial difference from my marantz for the below mentioned features:

contrast (Top Priority)

Better shadow details

film-like images

-rich,deep blacks, no visible pixels

brightness

Thanks.

·
Banned
1,838 Posts
The Jvc has better on/off contrast and more light output than the Marantz in its high contrast mode however you have been spoiled by the high ansi dimensional image and sharp lens of the Marantz so the image you will get with the Jvc will not have as a dimensional or sharp image. The Jvc isn't a soft image but just not as crisp as the Marantz, one can see that when they try to setup the focus on the Jvc it's a limitation of the technology however the colors should have some more pop. I speak from experience since I have had the RS20 in my theater for a time before installing it in my friends theater. I have also had the Marantz 11s1,11s2 and now 15S1 with long throw option. These projectors throw different types of images, if at all possible you should see if you like what the lcos technology has to offer before you put down your hard cash. Others will chime in with their views im sure.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was told by a JVC Rep:

"Yes, the JVC "DLA-RS50U" would be an excellent replacement over your current Marantz Projector. The brightness of the JVC is double that of your Marantz, and the contrast is about 10 times greater.

The sharpness of the JVC "DILA" Technology with its newly developed 17 element all glass lens is superb, especially when viewing a true 1080p image source. Also dollar for dollar this JVC Model is the best value on the market for a high end quality projector.

You speak about the dimensional aspect of the marantz could anyone please elaborate on that.

Finally What would be the best replacement for a Marantz PJ VP11s1 for reasons like better lumens, contrast. I have ambient light issues and the screen size is no bigger than 80"

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you lived with a DLP it will be very hard to switch to a LCD or LCOS. You are barking up the wrong tree here. If you can't control your light then it doesn't matter what the contrast ratio is, your picture will be washed out. I would look into a screen. That will help you with getting more pop from your picture and wouldn't cost you as much as buying a projector. You have a very small screen and the Marantz should be just fine on it.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I did trade my 3-yo Vp-11s1 for the JVC and was very disappointed. The JVC has the newer features and is very easy to use. The blacks are also inky, but sometimes too much. The Marantz blacks were just fine with my Firehawk screen.

However, I greatly missed the sharpness and the colors were almost neon with the JVC even after calibration. I ended up going back to DLP, the Samsung SP-A900b, which has almost perfect colors, is much sharper than the JVC, and is a little brighter than the Marantz. I would stick with the 11s1 if I were you.

·
Registered
12,276 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottd327 /forum/post/19452687

I did trade my 3-yo Vp-11s1 for the JVC and was very disappointed. The JVC has the newer features and is very easy to use. The blacks are also inky, but sometimes too much. The Marantz blacks were just fine with my Firehawk screen.

However, I greatly missed the sharpness and the colors were almost neon with the JVC even after calibration. I ended up going back to DLP, the Samsung SP-A900b, which has almost perfect colors, is much sharper than the JVC, and is a little brighter than the Marantz. I would stick with the 11s1 if I were you.

Which JVC did you try? Though they will always have a different look than DLP, some of your complaints may have been because you bought the wrong model...

·
Registered
172 Posts
The HD550. I am sure the THX models probably have more accurate color if not noticeably sharper.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
If you have ambient light issues, then the JVC's contrast advantage will be wasted.

One advantage of the JVC is the built-in calibration tools, which are excellent. The Marantz has nothing like this. However, you could get a DVDO Duo for about $1K that would give you all that you could ever want in this regard. That combination would be hard to beat.

BTW, the sharpness advantage of the Marantz is not just the optics of the lens. It is also an inherent advantage of the single-chip DLP DMD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit_bh /forum/post/19452459

I was told by a JVC Rep:

"Yes, the JVC "DLA-RS50U" would be an excellent replacement over your current Marantz Projector. The brightness of the JVC is double that of your Marantz, and the contrast is about 10 times greater.

The sharpness of the JVC "DILA" Technology with its newly developed 17 element all glass lens is superb, especially when viewing a true 1080p image source. Also dollar for dollar this JVC Model is the best value on the market for a high end quality projector.

You speak about the dimensional aspect of the marantz could anyone please elaborate on that.

Finally What would be the best replacement for a Marantz PJ VP11s1 for reasons like better lumens, contrast. I have ambient light issues and the screen size is no bigger than 80"

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I use to own a Marantz VP-11S2...I have many friends that have JVC projectors, including the RS-35...to me, and for my money, DLP is much preferred over DILA because -- and again this is to my eyes -- the DILA looks soft and veiled compared to the DLP...

And, before you ask, I sold my VP-11S2 because I moved into a new house and needed a longer throw projector for my dedicated hoime theatre...

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'am still very happy with the Marantz VP11S1 that I got from Jason,

I stop chasing the new stuff and enjoy what I have, especially in the economy rigth now!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman
If you have ambient light issues, then the JVC's contrast advantage will be wasted.

One advantage of the JVC is the built-in calibration tools, which are excellent. The Marantz has nothing like this. However, you could get a DVDO Duo for about $1K that would give you all that you could ever want in this regard. That combination would be hard to beat.

BTW, the sharpness advantage of the Marantz is not just the optics of the lens. It is also an inherent advantage of the single-chip DLP DMD.
DVDO Duo??? - How will this help, I do use a DVDO VP 50. I did make some contrast and brightness adjustments but the PQ brightness/Contrast got way to noticeable that I had to bring the levels on VP 50 back to Normal.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohit_bh /forum/post/19469569

DVDO Duo??? - How will this help, I do use a DVDO VP 50.

Apples and oranges. The Duo has a full-featured 3D color management system and 11-point gamma/grayscale adjustment tool.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts