AVS Forum banner

marantz onkyo

  • marantz 5002

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • onkyo 606

    Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey. I am looking to buy my first "real" receiver.


I can get either the marantz 5002 or the onkyo 606 for $300


They are both refurbished


which is the better one?


if it matters the odds of me getting a ps3 are kind of high. I have heard of ps3 onkyo problems?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,934 Posts
Latest HD codecs and Audyssey for Onkyo. You should really compare to Marantz's SR5003
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,546 Posts
Another "Tell Me What I want thread"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts
If you're getting a PS3 or other player that decodes, the Marantz should do everything you need. It sounds great (imo). And it has pre-outs if you need a bigger amp down the road.


Do you have a problematic room? Do you (or will you) have speakers that need power? Those things could influence your decision one way or the other.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/15520361


Another "Tell Me What I want thread"

You do know that not everyone lives in a big city where we can simply go out and audition these recievers there any suggestion is better than a blind buy.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeater69 /forum/post/15521708


You do know that not everyone lives in a big city where we can simply go out and audition these recievers there any suggestion is better than a blind buy.

well i dont have a drivers license yet, and my parents are too busy/ dont care, to go around and audition speakers.


anyway, I will have rti4's as fronts.


and my blu-ray player will be ps3/35k
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeeater69 /forum/post/15521708


You do know that not everyone lives in a big city where we can simply go out and audition these recievers there any suggestion is better than a blind buy.

Well snakeeater, Let me Help you and the OP (this has nothing to do with being in the Big City
1) figure out what you want to spend and What your needs are. 2) Download all of the manuals for all of the receivers that are in the area (Marantz, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, You Fill in the Blank) and READ THEM! 3) Go to the user threads and ask questions, read about that piece of equipment. Then, if you can, see if you can get an audition. With this information you Will Be All Growed-Up and you can make an intelligent decision. Just remember, if you are buying over the internet, make sure you understand the return Policies! If you don't like the equipment, return it ASAP



I hope this helps...well anything is better then a "Pick My Equipment Thread" Now you will not depend on Fanboys, Resellers or Haters making your decision



No reason for the
Just Learn
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asb-123 /forum/post/15521768


well i dont have a drivers license yet, and my parents are too busy/ dont care, to go around and audition speakers.


anyway, I will have rti4's as fronts.


and my blu-ray player will be ps3/35k

Audition Speakers, you are in the wrong area
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/15522264


Well snakeeater, Let me Help you and the OP (this has nothing to do with being in the Big City
1) figure out what you want to spend and What your needs are. 2) Download all of the manuals for all of the receivers that are in the area (Marantz, Onkyo, Denon, Yamaha, You Fill in the Blank) and READ THEM! 3) Go to the user threads and ask questions, read about that piece of equipment. Then, if you can, see if you can get an audition. With this information you Will Be All Growed-Up and you can make an intelligent decision. Just remember, if you are buying over the internet, make sure you understand the return Policies! If you don't like the equipment, return it ASAP



I hope this helps...well anything is better then a "Pick My Equipment Thread" Now you will not depend on Fanboys, Resellers or Haters making your decision



No reason for the
Just Learn

i thought folks in socal will supposed to be all chill and relaxed...i suggest that instead of attacking folks who post a "help me pick a receiver" thread that you just chill and move on to the next post...i asssume that this is just one of several pieces of the puzzle that people use to pick a new product...i know i just went thru the process of upgrading my AVR and bought a new BD player and while i didn't nessarily start any "what should i buy"

threads...i did ask alot of stupid questions and got my share of smart aSS answers and
...and for the most part i ignored them...but this one i couldn't...so heres me rolling my eyes at YOU



that felt good....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
635 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asb-123 /forum/post/15521768


well i dont have a drivers license yet, and my parents are too busy/ dont care, to go around and audition speakers.


anyway, I will have rti4's as fronts.


and my blu-ray player will be ps3/35k

Get the 5002. You won't be disappointed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ /forum/post/15522999


i thought folks in socal will supposed to be all chill and relaxed...i suggest that instead of attacking folks who post a "help me pick a receiver" thread that you just chill and move on to the next post...i asssume that this is just one of several pieces of the puzzle that people use to pick a new product...i know i just went thru the process of upgrading my AVR and bought a new BD player and while i didn't nessarily start any "what should i buy"

threads...i did ask alot of stupid questions and got my share of smart aSS answers and
...and for the most part i ignored them...but this one i couldn't...so heres me rolling my eyes at YOU



that felt good....

Yeah, I hear ya dog. (always wanted to say that).


For the past 4 months I've been researching and leaning and eventually finding sites like this, quite a pain in the beginning until things started to make sense.

I did a bunch of those "just tell me what to buy", and a lot of people did, and I made 4 purchasing mistakes before I finally leaned enough to make a quasi-informed decision. Huge difference shopping for what need than for what you want.


I have to give special thanks to that PIGBAT dude, or maybe it's Batpig, who did not necessarily help me one on one but if you start following that guy around and read his stuff and advice to OP, that's an education for cats like me who haven't bought a piece of gear since 1996.


To bring this ramble full circle; The $1100 stuff was cool and could afford it, but I ended up with the 5002 because it's what I needed.

Get the 5002 kid !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundrSQ /forum/post/15522999


i thought folks in socal will supposed to be all chill and relaxed...i suggest that instead of attacking folks who post a "help me pick a receiver" thread that you just chill and move on to the next post...i asssume that this is just one of several pieces of the puzzle that people use to pick a new product...i know i just went thru the process of upgrading my AVR and bought a new BD player and while i didn't nessarily start any "what should i buy"

threads...i did ask alot of stupid questions and got my share of smart aSS answers and
...and for the most part i ignored them...but this one i couldn't...so heres me rolling my eyes at YOU



that felt good....

So lets see what we got out of your post.....nothing on the OP's question
Now what did I bring to the table, 3 thing to do that should help the OP with a successful purchase. The problem that I have with posts like yours are not the stupid question, everyone has stupid questions including me. The problem is Bad Attitude, Think for me! Just lazy! Now you can post a fanboy or hater comment. But, I am glad you feel good



Here is a great thread for you, snake and the Op- HT 101 Thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=824554
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top