AVS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all, long time stalker first time poster!


the only post i've seen while searching this topic was never replied back to....so here we go:


i was seriously thinking the Rotel 1570/1575 combo for my HT setup. although i like the 250W i don't like lack of technology nor do i care for the price tag!


so i happen across the Marantz MM7005/MM7055 combo and notice that is has all the technology but is only 140W. now while inquiring an AUTHORIZED DEALER about the Marantz, i'm offered a Black Friday deal and it's less than 1/2 what the Rotel gear is.


this would mostly be used in a daily TV, movies, sports and PS3 atmosphere in a freshly finished 30x20 rectagular basement that is insulated for sound. oh yeah, i'm planning on Paradigm Studio 100's with a sub.


so...........i'm looking for some opinions. i have to drive hours to get to an audio shop and they don't have the combo's i'm looking for.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts
- well, those aren't particularly difficult speakers to drive, but you do have a big room...


- the "difference" between 140w and 250w, although it "looks like" a lot, is less than 3db... not a lot....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19590195


- well, those aren't particularly difficult speakers to drive, but you do have a big room...


- the "difference" between 140w and 250w, although it "looks like" a lot, is less than 3db... not a lot....

the room size is my biggest concern because i like my action movies loud and clear. i was actually looking at the B&W 6XX combo but was more impressed with the range and sound of the Paradigm Studio 60's. once i heard the Studio 100's in a larger room compared to B&W i'm not sure the Studio 60's could do the job in my basement.


but will the 140W be enough? i know the 250W would be better. quality seems to be comparable on paper so either way the Watts should be "clean".


perhaps buying an extra set of surrounds for the 6th and 7th channels would be benifical for my 30ft long room.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010SSRS /forum/post/19590464


the room size is my biggest concern because i like my action movies loud and clear. i was actually looking at the B&W 6XX combo but was more impressed with the range and sound of the Paradigm Studio 60's. once i heard the Studio 100's in a larger room compared to B&W i'm not sure the Studio 60's could do the job in my basement.


but will the 140W be enough? i know the 250W would be better. quality seems to be comparable on paper so either way the Watts should be "clean".


perhaps buying an extra set of surrounds for the 6th and 7th channels would be benifical for my 30ft long room.

if i had a 30 foot deep room, i'd certainly go for back channels...



hard to say... you might want to consider an even higher efficiency speaker in your case... 20X30 is a pretty large space to fill...


you are gonna need some significant subwoofage to fill that room too...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
744 Posts
I think the 140 would be more than enough. Maybe with what you save you could surrounds or sub...ect.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/19590195


- well, those aren't particularly difficult speakers to drive, but you do have a big room...


- the "difference" between 140w and 250w, although it "looks like" a lot, is less than 3db... not a lot....

Certainly cannot be argued, but how these two handle impedance swings is what separates them.


OP would have to figure out which speakers he was interested in first, see what their nominal impedance is and what kind of dynamic swings they can demand along with how far he will be sitting and what their sensitivity will be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vzphoneman /forum/post/19591207


I think the 140 would be more than enough. Maybe with what you save you could surrounds or sub...ect.

Really no need to guess. Sitting 20ft away from his speakers 140 watts will not be enough depending on listening levels. Heck, the speakers are probably completely wrong for the application.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18,923 Posts
I am of the opinion people worry too much about the impedance changes in speakers. Anecdotal evidence suggests most speakers are not troublesome in that way.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top